CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving abroad

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!

Driving abroad

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    On my first trip to France I'm going to throw myself off the deep end and do the driving straight off the shuttle. Even though my husband is a experienced driver abroad, I can see us ending up in the divorce courts as he is a terrible back seat passenger.
    How long does it take to get used to driving on the other side of the road ? I can imagine it really messes with your head 😂.... I want to learn as much as I can so I can be reasonably confident. At least learning the basics.
    I can't wait to give it a go 😊
    Rise free from care before the dawn
    and seek new adventures.....
    Likes RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Depends on the person I suppose, if your RHD then just keep to the kerb and if need to overtake ask the passenger if it’s clear. I’m sure you will be just great at it and be sure that any arguments are put to bed before you go to bed
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom
    Likes Herbenny liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Because you are wrong side of the road your wits are heightened and it is easy after the first 5 minutes, The problem as daft as it sounds is upon return and driving on the left I found

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Because you are wrong side of the road your wits are heightened and it is easy after the first 5 minutes, The problem as daft as it sounds is upon return and driving on the left I found

Channa
    The worse I find is car parks when back in England, roads are no problem either side
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!
    I just took a "France road sign test" ..... eerrrr I thinks I need to do some homework 😂

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Its really easy as you get off the shuttle and drive up te ramp you are on the wrong side of the road. I always like it as you can see where the curb is. First roundabout is always the best bit. You have to teach your brain to look the other way so all I do is look twice. Never rush because the guy behind wants to get going. Take your time. Some roundabouts have two lanes round them and the French love to nip round inside you so just watch the lane markings. You will soon get the hang of the roundabouts there are thousands of them.

Driving off from a stop always TRY and remember you are on the other side. It doesn't always work and we have all driven off on the wrong side. The French usually just wave their arms about and shake their heads. Then they see the registration and all become clear.

Have fun ..

Likes Herbenny, Nabsim, Clunegapyears liked this post

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    if your vehicle is right hand drive then use the A.I.G. method of driving and you won`t go far wrong

NB.

Arse In Gutter
    Trust No One

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dont ask !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooie1958 View Post
    if your vehicle is right hand drive then use the A.I.G. method of driving and you won`t go far wrong

NB.

Arse In Gutter
    😂😂😂

Nabsim is offline Full Member
    Name: Nabs (Neil)
    Spouse: Caz

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Geist Phantom
    As others have said itís fairly quick and easy to get used to but donít panic if you go wrong, check mirrors and correct when save.

Itís a while since I have been now but on bikes, sidecar outfits and cars I only seemed to sometimes get confused coming out of car parks but not often. It may well have been because I was a bit a speed freak so probably racing something out the car park. Drive normally and it will soon be fun.

Beware of BIZ signs if wanting to get somewhere promptly, when I first saw one I thought it was a short cut and was a bit put out when al OST two hours later I arrived a few miles from where I started from lol. Think they mean scenic route so good to take if meandering but not if you are against the clock
    Don't Worry, Be Happy

Member Number
    You will soon get used to it, you have to rely on the fact there is enough space & probably you are driving further over to the right than you would possibly thinking there isn't enough room. I like to have the left hand mirror tilted down a little just to let me see where the white centre or lane line is just to give me some idea of my road positioning. Tey to think about junctions & your position so you have a good view. When driving both here & abroad both of us share the diving & when we aren't driving we provide a second pair of eyes. Just try to keep calm & allow a bit more space than you normally would.
    Ed
    Likes Herbenny, channa liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information