Beemer is offline Full Member
    Name: Dave
    Spouse: Christine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Eura Mobil Practica 690

Ducato engine radiator replacement

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I got back from south Wales after Easter just in time.
    Whilst reversing onto the drive, my good lady wife was sprayed with a fine mist of radiator fluid, I could see where is was coming from and it is a pin prick of a hole in the engine radiator.
    I could maybe use something in the water to block the hole or fix it, but I would prefer to replace it to ensure I do not have further problems later on.

I am considering doing it myself on a 2004 Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD Eura Mobil.

Do you know if it is a standard 2.8JTD rad? If so, are there any problems I may encounter getting the old one out and the new one in?
    I know there is an air conditioning radiator in front of it, would that need to be removed also?

The difference in price between getting an mechanic to do it and do it myself is approx £200, but if it is a mechanics job then so be it.
    I am ok with tools, just not an engine mechanic.

Thank you for your useful answers, in anticipation... Dave

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    I personally think you would be better leaving it to the professionals. They have the knowledge and the tools for the job. You may have problems bleeding or damage things using diy tools.
    Likes Alf, Fisherman liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    I personally think you would be better leaving it to the professionals. They have the knowledge and the tools for the job. You may have problems bleeding or damage things using diy tools.
    I'd go with this if you need to ask any questions. But personally I'd use this K Seal if its just a small leak
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Easy enough to change the rad,need to remove a few bits and pieces in the way, but that is the norm with these jobs,I had to replace one on a Hymer in Portugal,and mine was behind a huge intercooler rad for the turbo I had help from a local man who sourced the rad for me,we did it in the street whilst wildcamping at Fusseta,and had about twelve wild campers of all nationalities giving advice but very little help really,but plenty of beer was drunk by all hee hee.I had to obtain a plug for an outlet in the new rad at fitting as my old rad did not have the same take off facility as the new one,easy enough to do however, no special tools were needed to do the take down and replacementv of the rad, just new jubille clips and anti freeze,I would not use rad seal as suggested as that is just a temporay fix,when my old rad was out of the van it was completely knackered and could be played like a violin,,have a look at U Tube I am sure you will find a video on there by someone doing a rad refit.
    Likes Beemer, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Been a mechanic all my working life and for peace of mind and not having a trip away spoiled donít use any radweld Kseal stuff itís only a get you home fix. If you value your vehicle get it done professionally but I dare say all the kerbside mechanics will be along to say do it yourself. Iíd rather pay £200 than be stuck at the side of the road with a cooked engine.
    Likes Alf, Fisherman, Wully, Biggarmac liked this post
    Thanks Beemer, Alf thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 but no bike now
    I remember the days when you just crack an egg in to the rad to cure a small leak-------------not sure if it really worked though
    Wine is the proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    I remember the days when you just crack an egg in to the rad to cure a small leak-------------not sure if it really worked though
    That sounds like a get you home fix. But I put Kseal into a MF digger rad to keep it going for a couple of days and its still ok 4 years later
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by witzend View Post
    That sounds like a get you home fix. But I put Kseal into a MF digger rad to keep it going for a couple of days and its still ok 4 years later
    But you donít go your holidays in a digger do you?
    Likes Alf, winks liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Chausson 510 welcome
    I would seriously listen to what Caledonia is saying.
    The poster who did it himself in Portugal sounds like he knows his stuff.
    And he received help from a knowledgeable local.
    If you are like myself and lack knowledge of engines don’t DIY.
    If we all agreed there would be no discussion, and it would be a dull boring world.
    Likes Beemer liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    K seal will be 100% if only a small jet of flued,i have seen new units fitted only to leak within weeks of service,however if over 10 years then i would replace and make sure the sys is filled with the correct coolant and not pure water.
    Im a self taught motor maniac and we dont have kirbstones here.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes yeoblade, witzend liked this post
    Thanks Beemer thanked for this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information