CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I pick your collective brains?

Member Number

Can I pick your collective brains?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi folks- sorry for this question which will probably have some of you roaring with laughter about how little we know , but here goes! We have recently returned ( 2 weeks ago) from our first trip ever trip in our motorhome and looking to go off again next week. Before our original trip, as advised by the Dealer, we cleaned the fresh water tank by adding Milton to a full tank, running it through the sinks and shower etc, then rinsed several times before we topped it up with fresh water. Do we need to do this full procedure again or should we add a water purifying tablet ?? We would not be drinking the water as such, but would be making tea and cooking with it . Told you we know nothing !
    Likes CavityandLacey liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    I do fresh water tank once a year, I would say no requirement for every trip. I also drain tank and hot water tank prior to heading home after a trip, leaving water in, can allow nasties to develop.

Like yourselves, water from tank used for washing/shower and, cooking, as most of the times water will be above or at boiling point. we take along drinking water for us an our dog, in a separate container.

No questions are silly or laughable, always better to ask..........cheers.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.
    Thanks Gerti58 thanked for this post

The laird is offline Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Travelvan 2*2 572
    I do my tanks yearly only with cleanser but often drain them,we carry a 10 litres container for boiling our tea,coffee etc.
    We dont drain like runnach cause we can afford the extra cost of fuel it consumes but he is watching the pennies even more now he has driving gloves and an open top tourer SPORTS car but for by that hes a damn decent type off chap👍
    Thanks peter palance, Gerti58 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Quote Originally Posted by The laird View Post
    I do my tanks yearly only with cleanser but often drain them,we carry a 10 litres container for boiling our tea,coffee etc.
    We dont drain like runnach cause we can afford the extra cost of fuel it consumes but he is watching the pennies even more now he has driving gloves and an open top tourer SPORTS car but for by that hes a damn decent type off chap👍

I cannae wait till you get a good dose o the chits due to water contamination.
    The value of a man should be seen in what he gives and not in what he is able to receive.

The laird is offline Full Member
    Name: Gordon
    Spouse: Fonky fi

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Travelvan 2*2 572
    My belly is like a -watch it you
    Likes runnach, Gerti58 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    I drain it down after each trip and never had the squits, and flush out the grey tank with 17p cola
    When life gives you lemons, add them to your gin & tonic
    Likes channa, Gerti58 liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Frankia I650ED
    No I just empty the tank and leave it empty between trips. Since you're going away in just a week's time I wouldn't even bother doing that, just top up before you go.

BTW don't use Miltons it can damage the stainless steel components in your water heater. Use Puriclean instead.

https://woollyramblers.wordpress.com/
    https://woollywanderers.wordpress.com/
    Likes Papillon, guerdeval liked this post

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    I drain it down after each trip and never had the squits, and flush out the grey tank with 17p cola
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunr68 View Post
    No I just empty the tank and leave it empty between trips. Since you're going away in just a week's time I wouldn't even bother doing that, just top up before you go.

BTW don't use Miltons it can damage the stainless steel components in your water heater. Use Puriclean instead.

Same here as above, drain down after every trip but Puriclean the system twice a year and flush grey tank with gut rotting 17p cola from Tesco

The motorhome is now in it`s 12th year ( we`ve had it from new ), we still drink water straight from the tank and are still alive to tell the tale
    Trust No One
    Likes The laird, peter palance, Justjack liked this post

Member Number
    As already stated Puriclean available from Halfords added once a year to full tank leave it for 24 hrs then pump some thru the system drain the rest flush once with clear water then refill never leave tank drained our water got enough chemicals in it to stay pure

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto-trail Scout
    Puriclean for me before first use of the season. I fill the tank 80% with the recommended strength solution then take the moho for a drive to agitatate it to the cold tank before running the water through the taps and into the grey tank. Once the grey tank is full, I empty the residue out of the fresh tank, refill the fresh tank and take the moho out for another drive before emptying the grey tank and running water through the taps enough to flush the puriclean from the pipes and then emptying the fresh tank. I then refill the fresh tank ready for the first trip of the season. We don't drain the fresh tank again until we either lay it up for over a month or the weather gets cold enough for icing to be of concern. FWIW, we don't drink the water from the fresh tank as we take 20 litres of water in separate containers for that. HTH, Geoff

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information