CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France, speed traps

Polar Bear is offline Any news of the iceberg?
    Name: Wilhelm
    Spouse: Karen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B544

France, speed traps

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Wilhelm.
    Thanks grath, pamjon thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post

A very good reason, along with the expensive tolls, to get the longer crossing, if going to Spain
    It can become cost effective.
    Even if trying to keep to the limit, it is so easy to miss a sign or wander over the limit
    I suppose, it saves them hiding behind a bridge or bush, which is what they have always done, or had a parked car with the bonnet up!

Thanks Polar Bear, I have copied it to our Sister Forum
    Last edited by grath; 12-07-2019 at 16:59.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Thanks Polar Bear thanked for this post

Member Number
    I'd never miss a whole country out of my tavels for reasons such as that, particularly one
    that I'm particularly predisposed to having a liking for.
    But I appreciate that those not so disposed to France, together with savings on fuel costs, and maybe
    travel time considerations may well take a different view.
    Likes saxonborg, vindiboy, Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleepers Symbol campervan
    The answer is simple, keep to speed limits, canít go wrong.
    Britons were wild camping long before campsites, it's a basic human right.
    Likes saxonborg, Kontiki, Clunegapyears liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    All I can say is that since 2003, we have done France every year, in some way or form, but we are now completely Franced out! Done it, got the T shirt
    The only thing in it.s favour for us is that it is near and better weather. No other reason to visit any more.
    Not forgetting my years of trucking transiting France to Spain and Portugal and having to deal with the Gendarmerie doing things such as switching traffic lights to red when you have no chance of stopping,
    Bent as hell!
    edit
    Something worth noting, is that I have done many thousands of miles driving through France, possibly hundreds of thousands of miles with trucks, motorhomes and cars, and I have never picked up a speeding ticket, BUT I have picked up manufactured money making fines, and when I was transiting France with a truck carrying Dangerous Goods, it was like running the gauntlet and my truck hardly ever passed a control point without an inspection.
    Why? because they could clearly see it was a RHD UK truck and was displaying the orange plates showing it was carrying Dangerous Goods. An easy target for minor infringements.
    Strange how they never seemed to get the shipping manifests from ferry companies, to see which trucks had removed the Dangerous Goods orange plates so they could drive at faster speeds.
    Last edited by grath; 12-07-2019 at 18:54.
    Likes Polar Bear, pamjon, wakk44 liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post

and when I was transiting France with a truck carrying Dangerous Goods, it was like running the gauntlet and my truck hardly ever passed a control point without an inspection.
    Why? because they could clearly see it was a RHD UK truck and was displaying the orange plates showing it was carrying Dangerous Goods. An easy target for minor infringements.
    Quite honestly I'd say that a rigorous inspection regime for 'minor infringements' if only a suspicion while carrying 'Dangerous Goods' was the Gendarmes thankfully taking their job seriously!

Can understand how it would piss a driver off, but tough really, just something to factor in regarding travel times etc.

I bet German truck drivers would be more likely to think themselves to be victimised (perhaps rightly) by the French Gendarmerie than a UK truckie might think he was.

Member Number
    I have my sat nav to warn me if I go over the speed limit, there is an option to set the % over the designated speed limit I have it set to zero. It can be a bit annoying as it does keep telling me I'm exceeding the limit in a 50kph limit but better that than getting fined.
    Ed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by daygoboy View Post
    Quite honestly I'd say that a rigorous inspection regime for 'minor infringements' if only a suspicion while carrying 'Dangerous Goods' was the Gendarmes thankfully taking their job seriously!

Can understand how it would piss a driver off, but tough really, just something to factor in regarding travel times etc.

I bet German truck drivers would be more likely to think themselves to be victimised (perhaps rightly) by the French Gendarmerie than a UK truckie might think he was.
    Unless you have done the job, trying to keep to the rule book and seen other truckers clearly and blatantly disregarding the rules by removing the orange plates, you would not understand.
    The Gendarme could easily get the ships manifest and wait for law breakers, but it is easier for them to just stop an orange board plated truck.
    I have also been pulled at just after mid day on the day before a driving ban holiday and made to park up, while French tankers were trundling by without any control. I was actually only going to the next turning and I was going to spend the holiday there as it had a good routier.
    They did let me continue, but took all my paperwork and I had to collect it from the Gendarme station after the holiday, so I could proceed
    They were going to issue a fine, until I pointed out a convoy of six french tankers, but they did not pull them!
    This is victimisation of Brits

Member Number
    I could never imagine the French Gendarmerie being given official orders or even tacit instructions
    to victimise Brits.

Yes I could see them being instructed to crack down but on all, and equally, of course you will always
    find the individual Gendarme exercising his personal vendettas and prejudices, no doubt some
    might have an anti Dutch or German approach. Still some other Gendarmes are probably apt
    to pick on their fellow French, simply because they think they should know better.

Doubtless a Bulgarian truckie or 2 might think that Brit cops are always picking on Johnny foreigner
    and Bulgies in particular, and probably a few actually do.

I suspect tired behind schedule truckies get pulled over and give the Gendarme or cop a bit of lip with just a
    hint of racism, the cop takes it personally, throws the book at the driver. From then on the truckie
    thinks the French have got it in for those of whichever nationality he happens to be.
    Substitute car motorhome mbike driver rider for truckie and similar scenario ends with similar result.

Member Number
    We provide the foreigners with our drivers details but it don,t get reciprecated so no fear of them getting fined here. As for Police their the same the world over just thinking of a easy life an early retirement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information