Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dornoch Beach

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by phillybarbour View Post
    Another village turning against us.
    The village is right to turn again us. Arrive late and leave early and leave only footprints and we would be welcome. Turn up stay for a week and sh1te in the bushes isn’t the wildcamping way.
    Likes AMcQ46, helen262, trevskoda, mistericeman liked this post

mickymost is offline Free Member
    Name: Michael
    Spouse: Swmbo

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes LA STRADA REGENT L.
    Quote Originally Posted by helen262 View Post
    Do these people not understand that this is why we are losing all these places and gaining height barriers,
    I have to agree that if they want to set up camp with awnings and chairs out and cooking facilities then they should be on the campsite.
    They do understand they just DONT CARE!How do you force them onto a campsite?Few spoiling things for the many YET AGAIN.Never been there but will be another great spot lost if that councillor gets his way.You cant blame the locals if peeps are prepared to carry on like this.In that photo one even has solar panels and a toilet tent erected surely that is well and truly taking the proverbial pee!

Michael
    Likes GreggBear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 530L
    A picture tells a thousand words. Except when the picture is fake. I've no idea of this picture is fake or not – but when similar complaints were laid against us in Keswick the local paper supported the complaints with a “stock” photo.

Similar charges at Dornoch six years ago were not supported by any evidence and there was no evidence of public concern - no complaints that I remember. The concern was all from a local campsite owner. I took the opportunity of emailing him at the time and his response was to tell me never to email him again.

Parking restrictions for Dornoch Beach Car Park | The Highland Council

I think the real reason will be the one I've come to expect. It's the same complaints as six years ago – unfounded then and probably the same now. And probaby from the same businesman.

“They’ve driven past the entrance to a perfectly good caravan and camping park at Dornoch with showers and toilets to park wild, and for free, on public land. “

He's hit on the one thing guaranteed to cause irritation to all true Britons – somebody seemingly gettng something for free.

The picture shows only one campervan and some sort of tent. Taking up a bit of room, untidily, it mus be said.

We're too quick to take the blame on ourselves.
    Likes Wully liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Quote Originally Posted by maureenandtom View Post
    A picture tells a thousand words. Except when the picture is fake. I've no idea of this picture is fake or not – but when similar complaints were laid against us in Keswick the local paper supported the complaints with a “stock” photo.

Similar charges at Dornoch six years ago were not supported by any evidence and there was no evidence of public concern - no complaints that I remember. The concern was all from a local campsite owner. I took the opportunity of emailing him at the time and his response was to tell me never to email him again.

Parking restrictions for Dornoch Beach Car Park | The Highland Council

I think the real reason will be the one I've come to expect. It's the same complaints as six years ago – unfounded then and probably the same now. And probaby from the same businesman.

“They’ve driven past the entrance to a perfectly good caravan and camping park at Dornoch with showers and toilets to park wild, and for free, on public land. “

He's hit on the one thing guaranteed to cause irritation to all true Britons – somebody seemingly gettng something for free.

The picture shows only one campervan and some sort of tent. Taking up a bit of room, untidily, it mus be said.

We're too quick to take the blame on ourselves.
    Have you ever been to this carpark? I have friends who own a property in Elizabeth Terrace in Dornoch and the carpark in question is constantly abused with freeloaders staying for days on end. It’s very off putting for people wanting to spend some time on the beach and money in the village.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 530L
    No, Never been there. Won't be going either.

Street view shows it's miles from anywhere. Well, maybe a mile to the nearest house. Only one campervan in the streetview picture too.

I got involved in the discussions a few years ago and the information I had then was that few locals had any concerns – one or two golfers, I think. I made a few suggestions to the campsite owner (rejected) and a l;ittle correspondence with the local councillor. “Polly” - member here at the time - had face to face discussions with the local councillor – she was also a member, as was I, of the tmcto.

Interesting that your friends own a house there. You'll not mind me asking; is it a holiday home they own? Experience shows that holiday home owners are more likely to be anti-motorhomers than residents.

I guess this is just anoher one to be lost. One day we'll lose the last one.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5

Street view shows it's miles from anywhere. Well, maybe a mile to the nearest house. Only one campervan in the streetview picture too.

I got involved in the discussions a few years ago and the information I had then was that few locals had any concerns – one or two golfers, I think. I made a few suggestions to the campsite owner (rejected) and a l;ittle correspondence with the local councillor. “Polly” - member here at the time - had face to face discussions with the local councillor – she was also a member, as was I, of the tmcto.

Interesting that your friends own a house there. You'll not mind me asking; is it a holiday home they own? Experience shows that holiday home owners are more likely to be anti-motorhomers than residents.

No he’s Dornoch born and bred. A lorry driver and a caravan tugger and as I said he doesn’t mind wildcampers arriving late and leaving early it’s the motorhomes spending days on end and taking over the car park. It’s off putting for for tourists which are a big part of the local economy.
    Car park is only a short walk from the village and not miles from anywhere.
    Last edited by caledonia; 15-07-2019 at 18:56.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5

If you’ve never been and won’t be going why did you feel the need to get involved? Have you nothing better to do?
    Scotland has loads of beautiful places to wild camp and if the locals don’t want you respect their wishes move on and go somewhere else. Life’s to short to be arguing with councillors just get out there and enjoy yourself.
    Likes Edina, Wully liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 530L
    Quote Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
    If you’ve never been and won’t be going why did you feel the need to get involved? Have you nothing better to do?
    Scotland has loads of beautiful places to wild camp and if the locals don’t want you respect their wishes move on and go somewhere else. Life’s to short to be arguing with councillors just get out there and enjoy yourself.
    Interesting post. Bit strange though from a wild camper. I've long been a supporter of councils providing facilities for motorhomers and I've done a fair bit or work towards that. As have a few others too.

There is never any documentary evidence of residents, in any numbers, complaining about motorhomers. I have any number of councils claiming outrage from residents and never, ever, being able to provide proof. The council couldn't provide proof (Dornoch) a few years ago.

But, I see your reasoning for warnting this night stop at Dornoch to disappear. And I respect your views. Always, when this sort of thing arises then some of us agree that overnighting motohromes should be stopped in their particular location. One day the last one will be stopped.

I can help you. You could write to the council - and to your friends the residents - that the council institutes a Public Spaces Protection Order. Other councils have found that stops motorhomers immediately and completely PSPOs are easy, quick and cheap. They are insituted almost without scrutiny and create crimes. Councils love them.

And one day, the entire country will be covered by PSPOs and some of us will be completley happy.

Got that? PSPO - the council's friend.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vw t5
    Dornoch residents would be happy for people to arrive late and leave early is the taking up residence they object to. Scotland has loads of beautiful places to spend the night and we will never see an end to wildcamping when some estates and councils encourage it. I’m a glass half full guy but I guess your glass emptied a long time ago.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 530L
    There are right now places which, without people defending us, would have been withdrawn. There are right now permitted parking places which, without people making things happen, would not now be permitted places.

About Dornoch, well, ou may be right. I can tell you though, that the same arguments were produced years ago and they were unfounded.

Now, if you know that Dornoch residents would be happy to see us, etc..... then do you have a way of helping ir to happen?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information