CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting a dangerous precedent?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar

Setting a dangerous precedent?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Neighbor has just told me that the local Cotton Arms pub, which has a campsite, had been invaded for want of a better word by a couple of dozen gypsies/travelers in caravans. This happened last Thursday. The pub had received a prior booking for a legitimate caravan rally for 18 caravans over the weekend. The landlord pleaded with the travelers to go, the reply he received was "yes we will go but you will pay for us to go", this he did as he didn't want to let the legitimate rally down.
    I have no idea how much money was involved, I do know that the travelers are currently camped on the public playing fields in Nantwich, 4 miles away.

I have no reason to doubt any of the information as told by my neighbor.

Has anyone heard of this money making ploy before?
    The best thing about motorhoming? It's harder for relatives to visit a moving target.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Yes, campsite down the road from us. They were asked to fill all the vehicles with diesel before they would leave. Unfortunately one of the younger ones got a bit mouthy and the police were called and they were removed
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar
    Although this is an old article I am adding it to give a view from the 'other side'. Gypsy family outraged at local community’s attitude ahead of huge funeral - Crewe Chronicle
    The best thing about motorhoming? It's harder for relatives to visit a moving target.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Galaxy 240
    There was an newspaper article they did the same at a big cricket match in Birmingham some weeks ago.
    You can take the girl out of Wales but you cannot take Wales out of the girl

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Landrover110 CSW / Bucher Duro 6x6
    I would have thought that any such demands in above situation would satisfy S21 Theft Act . Quite a heavy penalty on conviction !!

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by RV2MAX View Post
    I would have thought that any such demands in above situation would satisfy S21 Theft Act . Quite a heavy penalty on conviction !!
    I don't think they come under the same laws as the rest of us

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    In Lancashire they are exempt from the laws of the land or so it seems
    Trust No One
    Likes witzend liked this post

Member Number
    I was talking to a west Sussex farmer who just had gypsies on a field he owned.

He said

"I could be standing in the field but you can't stop them coming on your land" !

It seems the law does not apply to them.

Member Number
    We had repair work done by a very expert guy in Derbyshire. A van was brought in for repair and on collection he was asked where the generator was? No genny in the van that he knew off but he was strong armed into paying for a genny that never was. As said different rules seem to apply and its about time that was changed.

B2

Wooie1958 is offline Cupid Stunt
    Name: Hey You
    Spouse: Yes M`Lady

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    I was talking to a west Sussex farmer who just had gypsies on a field he owned.

He said

"I could be standing in the field but you can't stop them coming on your land" !

It seems the law does not apply to them.

Many many years back ( 70`s ) my dad acquired some gypos on land he had at the back of his property.

Must have been in the middle of the night because they weren`t there as he bedded down around midnight-ish but were there at 06.00am the following morning.

He went and asked them to leave but they just laughed and told him to get lost.

He phoned the local bobby ( we had them then ) who also came down and he got the same response from the gypos when he asked them to leave as well.

The local bobby who was a very good friend of my dad said he was leaving now but would be back tomorrow to see if they were still there.

My dad knew what he meant and immediately rang round a few of his farming mates who came along with their sons, farmhands and a few implements.

They explained to the gypos the error of their ways who instantly packed up and left straight away.

The bobby came back the following morning and the gypos were gone so it was case closed.

Can`t see that happening in this day and age especially with the camera phones that everyone has now.
    Trust No One
    Likes harrow, fifthwheel, time4t liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information