CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Wok over charcoal

Member Number

Using a Wok over charcoal

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I tried my Cobb oven with the Wok but it was so slow for cooking. Anyone have a small portable solution? I've been reading up about using a chimney. Something about the size of an asian terracotta stove but much lighter.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrks View Post
    I tried my Cobb oven with the Wok but it was so slow for cooking. Anyone have a small portable solution? I've been reading up about using a chimney. Something about the size of an asian terracotta stove but much lighter.
    I think the chimney starter should do the job, you may have read this;

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

There are quite a few available on Amazon.

Amazon.co.uk: bbq chimney starter weber
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Awaiting delivery of PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post

I've been using a chimney starter for a few years just to light the barbie and I reckon you're right,it should be just the job for heating a wok.
    It gets very hot,fast.Has also revolutionised starting barbie.Good even ignition of coals in just a few mins.

Korky.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post

Thanks Rob, I had been looking at these, even read the page you had linked to but had wondered if you folks had an even better solution. I have now ordered one - will look at putting a wider base on it to make it more stable and increasing the draught with shutters over the vents, plus to put a support to hold the Wok. This should earn me even more brownie points from the missus. Did look at an Thai/Asian stove at a Thai festival over the weekend but they wanted 80 odd for it - couple of quid in Thailand.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    I find these good for woks if you get plenty of fire in the bottom they get the wok very hot. PORTABLE CHARCOAL BBQ GRILL CAST IRON FIRE PIT GARDEN PATIO CAMPING BARBECUE

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    That is the small one larger ones are available I just meant that style of bbq.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Merc 309D Westfalia James Cook
    I've given up on using the Cobb briquettes, too slow, too expensive. I just use BBQ beads, which I think are just compressed charcoal and coal dust, or just charcoal and use a slug of meths or a base of small twigs to get them started. Most of the wilding spots I stay at also have plenty of left over charcoal in old campfires so I just spend a few minutes gathering up the leftovers.

I don't think a wok will ever be successful on a Cobb as the heat source is too low, probably a small campfire burnt down to coals and the wok placed directly on the coals would do.

I used to motorcycle with a Chinese guy back in the 80s who used that method and he cooked some superb meals whilst we struggled with Trangias and dehydrated crap. He could even cook damper. He lost his wok in a wind storm overlooking the Great Australian Bight, in a hundred years some plonker is going to find it and the Chinese will claim Australia!!!
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse (defined as a liberal gift) from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, followed always by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years." - attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler, (October 15, 1747 - January 5, 1813) a Scottish-born British lawyer and writer.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar and a Rimor K Max

Bought one in NZ for 1$ in a charity shop, brilliant bit of kit. Used it mainly on the camp fire, steaks were superb, also used it for flat breads and potato cakes.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Castaway 500 LL
    They`re rubbish for soup
    You Look Nice Are You The Doctor

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Trigano Tribute. Missing my VW T3 Holdsworth
    Wooie started it!

hqdefault.jpg
    What's so funny about peace, love and understanding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information