CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: France - advice please for April.

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    You mention you want a good chance of warm weather so elevation is key. I would choose either the Dordogne and Lot or the Ardeche, Drome and lower Provence. I would avoid the Massif Central that time of year although you will need to traverse some of it if you do all of those areas. Most of the Dordogne, some of the ardeche, Drome and lower Provence whilst not flat are mainly off the higher planes of the Massif central. The areas to the east around the Rhone valley and lower down will be warmer.

We did the Dordogne and Pyrenees in April and May a few years back and had good weather in the Dordogne with day time temperatures in April in the low 20's and plenty of sunshine. The mornings and evenings were cold sometimes though and we even had ice one morning. There is a lot to see and do in all those areas I mentioned though, You could do them in a month I guess but I would want longer.
    Thanks - Keithchesterfield Thanked this person

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    After a short discussion we've decided we will aim for the Dordogne and find out what the area has to offer.

We had been a bit reluctant to go in that direction after stopping in a hotel in Sarlat many years ago.

We went by car, long before the MH, one June and it rained chats and chiens for the 7 days we were there – the hotel ran out of umbrellas they were providing for its guests by mid-week.

What with the rain, and every meal having a canard theme, we held strong views about the area but we will finally try once more.

There is an article about the Dordogne in MMM this month, mine arrived yesterday, and it gives a good insight to the area and a trawl with Monsieur Google's help, and Barrys input on here, have helped us decide.

Thanks for all your input – very helpful.

For Youtube videos of Aires and other stuff - www.youtube.com/user/keithchesterfield
    Likes - carol, barryd liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    The Dordogne is very nice, but do venture further south into the Lot et Garonne département. The two rivers provide many opportunities for wild camping and following the Garonne towards Toulouse can be very rewarding.

But that part of France has so much to offer, wherever you choose to go.
    David
    Central Brittany (Morbihan), France.

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    We went to the Dordogne area a couple of years ago, my son bought us a book 'The Back Roads of France' which has a route right through the Dordogne and Lot valleys which we followed and it gave us an insight into the area which you could miss without a guide.
    I'm sure where ever you go in France you will have a great time as it is a historic and beautiful place.
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going!!

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Don't miss Limeuil ... very beautiful.

There's a great wild camping spot by the river and a tap in the car park.

You'll find it in the France POIs.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes - carol liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLinda View Post
    We went'The Back Roads of France' which has a route right through the Dordogne and Lot valleys
    I second that book also Secret Roads of France is worth having.A look at the most beautiful villages of France website is
    Likes - Keithchesterfield liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    There are a couple of aires that we like, the first in Caddillac a lovely small town near to Bordeaux, the aire is quite small in a car park near the middle of the town.
    The second is at Montbazillac this is in a vineyard and is owned by a motorhome owner, this is in a village with a chateau, it is remote with no café or shop so don't go without supplies. You are expected to go to a wine tasting, which you will be invited too.
    You can't be lost if you don't know where you're going!!

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    as above the aire at cadillac is superb and the one at monbazilliac is also a france passion stop great enthusiastic owner & the nearby chateau is well worth a visit cheap and just left to wander around sit on furniture etc, if you make it to the garonne the aire at caumont sur garonne is perfect it is in all the aires (highlighted salmon colour as special) it has been extended recently but on canal bank can cycle walk miles, there is an aire now at the citadel at blaye and a wine festival on 8/9 april about 80 wine producers for degustation your entry ticket is a wine glass on a cord and entry includes a boat trip round the estuary and various other entertainments,

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Keith, we have done France for years and years, and what we usually do, is head south and start from the Periguex or Dordogne area, preferring the river Lot more so than the Dordogne. We usually end up in the Midi Pyrenees area, somewhere south of Cahor, such as San Antonin Nobel Val, Narjac, Carajac, Corded sur Ceil, Albi, Carcassonne, Castelnaundry, Homps. Lots of really nice places, and if you like, just a few miles to Narbonne, and Gruisan (on the med)
    Maybe pick a river and trundle down a road alongside, and enjoy what comes. Maybe the Midi Canal, some nice places here. Personally, I would not plan, just go with the flow, you will just fall over nice places, probably much nicer than a plan!
    Last edited by grath; 05-01-2017 at 18:45. Reason: spelling
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine, and sometimes, just scootering around!
    Graham
    Likes - Wintonian liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Another nice area, but aires are a little thin on the ground, is Provence. Our favourite there is St Croix de Verdon (the Verdon George) fantastic!
    But seriously, one thing to remember, is that what I or others think is fantastic, you might think not!
    The number of times, we have gone somewhere on another recommendation, only to think, why have we come here!
    So just do your own thing, and go with the flow!
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine, and sometimes, just scootering around!
    Graham

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information