CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: budget traveling through Europe to spain (Non toll roads?)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elnagh Clipper Ford Transit 2.5D (1989)

budget traveling through Europe to spain (Non toll roads?)

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi Everyone

I am planning our trip down to Spain in April (heading to Huescar in Granada as we have a house down there) I only have a month to get there and back and in our old van it usually takes about 8 days (lots of stops with kids, dogs etc and 300mile max per day)

We had expected to have some pennys for the trip as we have just our house but as usual there are some delays and we now need to do the trip as economically as possible - we always use Aires where possible but last year it was the tolls that hit the credit card most.

What are the non toll roads like between Dieppe and Spain and will we regret not being on the empty motorways - I am mainly concerned about us being in a slow van (50mph max) and people not being able to over take or being on narrow roads in a coach built - are these things worth considering or just me worrying for nothing?

Are there any tolls on that route that you would suggest are worth the cost?
    The route shown on Google is: Dieppe - Poitiers - Bordeaux - Huesca - Valencia - and finally Galera

Any feedback appreciated

James

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    We drove all the way down to Gibraltar from Calais and missed all but a couple of tolls. The route was very good and lots of dual carriageways. Lot of trucks but you could travel on a Saturday / Sunday and miss them. We don't do drive fast and it took us about a week.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    We often go from Dieppe and don't usually pay tolls
    Dieppe
    Rouen
    Evreux
    Dreux
    Chartres
    Orleans
    Limoges
    Perigueux
    Bergerac
    Marmande
    Mont De Marsan
    Dax
    Then drop on the autoroute to Irun or take the time consuming rn via Bayone
    From Irun, go up the N121a to Pampalona
    Lagrono
    Burgos
    and so on!

All good roads

Don't forget the 20% discount on Newhaven to Dieppe if over 60 years of age. Must be telephone booking so get the internet price first
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Likes FringeDweller, mark61 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    chausson motorhome
    Hi, enjoy your trip, we normaly use the N roads where possible and dont bother with the toll roads unless we are in a hurry to get from a to b, slow and easy and enjoy the drive.
    You mention that you have a slow van, under the new speed limits in France other than toll roads and duelcarriageways you are restricted to 50mp.
    The route through Spain is mostly toll free.
    Regards Ken

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    My old van is happy on 50 as well,I stay off motorways using N and D roads,on the rare occasion I get traffic behind I either pull over or wait for a straight and slow down while indicating left,locals seem to appreciate it. Most of the time you'll have the roads to yourself and there's plenty of places to stop for the night or for dog to get some exercise,laybys,picnic areas and forest carparks etc.
    668,the neighbour of the beast.

Member Number
    If you use toll rds perhaps the porstsmouth billbao ferry might be worth considering I didnt think it was much more expensive than the fuel + tolls

Member Number
    Motorhome
    autocruise star spirit
    We have been driving down to Spain for many many years now, our sat nave has no tolls in it all the time, the roads are very good over there and if it takes you a bit longer there is far more to see than on the toll roads, and a big saving on your money.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    HYMER ML I
    We went down over the new year and paid tolls on some of the roads until I found the non toll are just as good in a load of places. Coming back we did non tolls but to avoid some of the pinch points around cities we did go onto the Autoroutes. The biggest problem is finding that the NAG-NAG box has taken you a hundred miles out of the way to a avoid 5 euro toll . The program is all or nothing with sat navs, tolls or no tolls, not to avoid some places, some tolls. If you go from Dover to Essex and have no tolls set on the machine, it would take you around the M25 or through London to avoid the Dartdford toll of 1.67. I understand that they can only do it that way, but not knowing the French System of how they have the same autoroute toll free for miles, and then getting caught on a bit that is toll, is a bit difficult to understand.
    Likes jacquigem liked this post

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    If you've not already booked the crossing... think about ..

Day 1 drive to Portsmouth
    Day 2 on ship to Bilbao or Santander
    Day 3 drive 250 non toll miles to Madrid - ish
    Day 4 drive 300 non toll miles tp Galera (A30 / A30 / C3314)

We don't find a problem with non toll travel in Spain (never used a toll road).
    Just pull over or go round a roundabout if you have a traffic queue.

A lot of this route is motorway / dual carriage way but free.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Member Number
    Motorhome
    High top van conversion
    Set the sat nav for toll free,but look at the route to see if there are some places where it might be worth a short trip on toll road. I set ours for toll road in UK to make sure we use the Dartford crossing then change back to toll free in France.Do similar on continent when needed.
    Likes AndyR, jacquigem, FringeDweller liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information