CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: France on a budget

Member Number
    Motorhome
    LWB Transit MK6

France on a budget

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Anyone know how much they spend in France - per day or per week - on average. So aires, food, diesel (I know this depends) just want to get a realistic budget before planning it. I know lots of you have been doing this for many years but I have yet to leave England and don't want to plan something that I can't finish.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    It really depends where in France. Many inland aires can be free, but coastal aires charge.
    If you intend to eat out, it can be expensive, we very rarely eat out in France, except maybe for Plat d Jour (meal of the day at lunch time) This can be good value, or use a truckers Routier!
    Lidl is cheap same as here and beer and wine is cheap in supermarkets, but buy a pint in a bar and you will pay!
    The cheapest are bars which sell the lottery tickets and gambling, sorry the name of them has just slipped me!
    Use the RN roads, follow rivers and you will find nice places!

Just remembered PMU bars! (Cafe PMU)
    Last edited by grath; 11-02-2018 at 11:18.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Likes Skar, saxonborg, Maci liked this post
    Thanks suneye thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    LWB Transit MK6
    I have to go in the school holidays so are there any places to avoid.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by suneye View Post
    I have to go in the school holidays so are there any places to avoid.
    We have done France at all times of the year including a few at high season.
    The coast will be busy, but go down to the Loire, Vienne, Dordogne, Lot, Midi Pyrenees, Provence, and you will be OK
    Lots to see and the French use rivers for fun, swimming and canoeing etc!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    I would budget about 1000 a month. We are generally in France in July and August and IMO its the best place to be peak season as its huge, diverse and you can choose to be part of the holiday throng in places like Annecy or the Ardeche Gorges or just disappear up the Alps or Pyrenees or some of the less visited regions but equally as brilliant such as Jura or the Auvergny. Also peak season you have more free aires and wild spots than you can shake a stick at so you can avoid the campsites packed with kids and of course their peak season prices.

Eating out I would say cost wise is similar to here. If you go out for a drink and I like a good drink then go for wine rather than beer if you want to save money as wine in a bar in France is half the cost of what it is here although the more touristy places will be more expensive but beer is generally more expensive than here but the French dont down six pints in an hour. Ive seen them nurse a glass of Leffe for an hour! Its often more expensive if you sit outside on a terrace than if you just sit at the bar.

I dont bother shopping in Lidl or Aldi as they are rubbish but Intermarche, Carrefour, E'Leclerc are all pretty good and some stuff is more expensive than here but its better quality. The stuff we have become accustomed to actually works out better value than here and of course then there is the cheese! I Can spend an hour at Leclerc cheese counter. Heaven and half the cost of what it is here, assuming you can get it here.

I Wouldnt avoid anywhere. You have a motorhome, if its too busy or not to your liking, move on.
    Last edited by barryd; 11-02-2018 at 11:34.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post
    I would budget about 1000 a month. We are generally in France in July and August and IMO its the best place to be peak season as its huge, diverse and you can choose to be part of the holiday throng in places like Annecy or the Ardeche Gorges or just disappear up the Alps or Pyrenees or some of the less visited regions but equally as brilliant such as Jura or the Auvergny. Also peak season you have more free aires and wild spots than you can shake a stick at so you can avoid the campsites packed with kids and of course their peak season prices.

Eating out I would say cost wise is similar to here. If you go out for a drink and I like a good drink then go for wine rather than beer if you want to save money as wine in a bar in France is half the cost of what it is here although the more touristy places will be more expensive but beer is generally more expensive than here but the French dont down six pints in an hour. Ive seen them nurse a glass of Leffe for an hour! Its often more expensive if you sit outside on a terrace than if you just sit at the bar.

I dont bother shopping in Lidl or Aldi as they are rubbish but Intermarche, Carrefour, E'Leclerc are all pretty good and some stuff is more expensive than here but its better quality. The stuff we have become accustomed to actually works out better value than here and of course then there is the cheese! I Can spend an hour at Leclerc cheese counter. Heaven and half the cost of what it is here, assuming you can get it here.

I Wouldnt avoid anywhere. You have a motorhome, if its too busy or not to your liking, move on.
    Agree with most of what you post
    We spend about 1000 a month (excluding Ferries)
    Aldi and Lidl have their advantages but others are better quality
    Likes barryd liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    I can't agree with eating out been as cheap as the UK, we find it bl**dy expensive!
    I am comparing it with everyday pub meals here in the UK!
    Maybe if comparing high quality restaurants, it would be different, but we are taking of France on a budget!
    Up to about four years ago, we could do 6 weeks in France, including ferry and fuel for under 1000.
    Since then we have done little France except for transiting!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    LWB Transit MK6
    Quote Originally Posted by barryd View Post

Lots of good stuff to think about here thanks
    Likes barryd liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    LWB Transit MK6
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    I can't agree with eating out been as cheap as the UK, we find it bl**dy expensive!
    I am comparing it with everyday pub meals here in the UK!
    Maybe if comparing high quality restaurants, it would be different, but we are taking of France on a budget!
    Up to about four years ago, we could do 6 weeks in France, including ferry and fuel for under 1000.
    Since then we have done little France except for transiting!
    Thanks I don't intend to eat out - except the odd snack so this won't be an issue. Looks like cheese and wine will be on the menu chez moi!
    Likes grath, barryd liked this post

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information