CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where is your favourite place in France?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    sprinter banger

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Provence for me too.we lived in a village perche near Nyons for a while and never tired of exploring in the van. plenty of other nice areas all over of course
    your belly button is just your old mouth
    Likes suneye liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Picking a favourite part of France is a real difficulty , the country having 3 coast lines, 2 mountain ranges and everything between is a big ask. Food varies one part to the other, so I suppose I like all of it.

One place not mentioned is the Ile d' Oleron I love it there, I don't think it is typical France a bit of an Islander mentality going on but nevertheless I can think of worse places in the world.

Ironically one of the few difficult places to wild, the one occasion I have witnessed the police moving folk on but a little municipal campsite, clean and shaded pitches, scoffing oysters, sun on your back ( St Georges near Boyardville)

Mainstream France I think I would re visit the Pyreenees .stunning ,breathtaking a vista on every turn.

A lot mention the COte D'azur lived there for 12 months in Frejus , So St Tropez, Monaco, Nice Grasse etc great places for a day out ...the hidden jewel of the area is Lac du cassian .....A bit like Woodhead but with Sun .!!

As you can see a difficult question

Channa
    Likes FINGERLESS liked this post

Member Number
    Go to the local French tourist office which unlike the English ones are normally open during office hours. The are all run by very pretty, intelligent young ladies that really know their stuff. All you have to do is TRY and speak a little French. They will give you relevant and up to date ideas on what the locals like to see and do. Normally they will give good tips on where to park as well.

Richard
    Likes Makzine, FINGERLESS, BGT180 liked this post
    Thanks suneye thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    LWB Transit MK6
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    Picking a favourite part of France is a real difficulty , the country having 3 coast lines, 2 mountain ranges and everything between is a big ask. Food varies one part to the other, so I suppose I like all of it.

One place not mentioned is the Ile d' Oleron I love it there, I don't think it is typical France a bit of an Islander mentality going on but nevertheless I can think of worse places in the world.

Ironically one of the few difficult places to wild, the one occasion I have witnessed the police moving folk on but a little municipal campsite, clean and shaded pitches, scoffing oysters, sun on your back ( St Georges near Boyardville)

Mainstream France I think I would re visit the Pyreenees .stunning ,breathtaking a vista on every turn.

A lot mention the COte D'azur lived there for 12 months in Frejus , So St Tropez, Monaco, Nice Grasse etc great places for a day out ...the hidden jewel of the area is Lac du cassian .....A bit like Woodhead but with Sun .!!

Channa
    Thanks for this. I'm hoping to go to Bordeaux so Il d'orleon could go on my list. Lots of suggestions for the South coast, not sure about going there in August, will it be too hot and too crowded? Better saved for a spring trip? I don't mind the heat but might cook in transit!

Member Number
    Favourite area for us is Provence. The Lavender Fields Also the Verdon Gorge .Aires at Moustiers at the bottom & Castellane at the top. Plenty of the MBV's already mentioned to visit
    Likes mark61, suneye, yeoblade liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Kontiki 640
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post

Channa
    Just shows how we like different places. Been to Ile d' Oleron a couple of times as Mrs D's Grandfather is buried there but think its flat and dull. Plenty of Aires now of course and its really popular. I think its anywhere flat for us that we dont tend to like. Im probably in a minority though as its clearly a popular place.

Suneye. We were on the Cote D'azur in the last two weeks of August last summer but we stay inland away from the busy places but we have a scooter. I would avoid it like the plague peak season unless you have some kind of secondary transport. Its never normally scorching hot but it was the last weeks of August last year. Nice 28-29 right on the coast but driving inland to where we were staying it topped 38c for about a week which is unusual. There were loads of fires last year. Come September as we moved west round the Med coast towards the Pyrenees it changed dramatically and it was the worst September I can remember. Its normally just about right. Atlantic coast around Biarittz is generally a bit cooler but hot enough.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Sue and I are off to France early March and arriving at Ouistreham in the evening of the 13th March on our way to Landivy. Because my night vision is not particularly good, can anyone recommend a stopover point half an hour ish from the port
    Thanks Friends
    Peter
    Lord 'Oppy, Laird of Dunans

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    Please
    Lord 'Oppy, Laird of Dunans

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post
    at Ouistreham in the evening of the 13th March , can anyone recommend a stopover point half an hour ish from the port Thanks Friends Peter
    Can't recommend but have a look HERE Very close to the Port

Member Number
    May not help you Oppy but newbies to France like Suneye might like to try the big Aires such as Honfleur. It is not cheap and is prone to overcrowding but as there are many other like minded people there, great chance to meet up with them and learn lots. You may even find a travel buddy for a day or two, just to get you started and give you confidence.

Honfleur itself is well worth a visit.

Richard
    Likes jacquigem liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information