CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So I want to drive to Greece this winter....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW crafter

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Never mind how you're doing, I want to know how Dave is doing?
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    Love your bouncing between Plans. We often change part way through the day.
    Thanks FringeDweller thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2004 Hymer Starline 680 LHD
    Quote Originally Posted by guerdeval View Post
    Never mind how you're doing, I want to know how Dave is doing?
    Dave El Perro is dandy, he loves to travel, he wasn't too keen on the snow this morning, but we finally escaped France and are currently parked up in Italy, Lombardy, near Brescia.

I plan to travel the length of Italy along the Adriatic coast.

I'll be looking at the ferry arrangements once I get to Italy's heel.

Member Number
    Motorhome

Quote Originally Posted by Clunegapyears View Post
    Love your bouncing between Plans. We often change part way through the day.
    Getting through France has been like swimming in a tarpit, I departed Flanders last wednesday (21st Nov) and only today managed to get into Italy.

This morning, atop Mont Blanc, my passage to Turin was blocked, the D1006 was snowed in at Termignon.

I had to turn around and head back down the mountain to pick up the Frejus tunnel. That goes on forever, cost 58 Euro one way.

What a difference a day makes, 24 little hours, The italian weather is warm and sunny, the solar panels kicked in for the first time in ages.

I've now got through the traffic around Milan and Turin I thought Madrid and Valencia were bad but oooh man today was challenging.

I've gone from the sleety s-bends of Mont Blanc to the never ending Frjus tunnel, through 4 chokka lanes of maniac drivers between Turin and here at Brescia.

I'm not stopping for any sight seeing, just for fuel, food and comfort breaks, I plan to drive until I hit T-shirt weather and look for a campsite for a scrub up.

I've managed to find MH service points 3x along the way for the black & grey tanks, but so far I haven't found a fresh water supply. The one tap I did find was at a dump station so I avoided that, not even sure if it was potable. and didn't want to contaminate the fw tank.

Although my Gaslow tanks are both almost full, I wanted to see what the score is in Italy.
    First forecourt was manned and the bloke declined to sell me any. "In Italy gas is for traction only, no campers"
    Second forecourt was also manned and he happily topped me up and used the same adaptor as in France - the wide circular jobby only need 6 euros worth which was a bit embarrassing but I made up the purchase with half a tank of diesel, a pint of milk and a giant italiam sausage for the dog.

I'm confused at the actual status of MHs and re-fillable gas systems in Italy, I'll be learning over the next few weeks.

I've dialled the TomTom in for Venice and will then head down the coast, tomorrow.

I'll be peeling off the motorways sometime soon, in search of a supermarket and drinking water.

I feel so blessed and fortunate that I am having so much fun.

james

Member Number
    Motorhome

A few (low quality) pictures from this morning

IMG_20181127_090132.jpgIMG_20181127_091653.jpgIMG_20181127_091720.jpgIMG_20181127_132232.jpg

First one in Dave the dog in his PJs - youhave to look carefully, he's got his Hi-Vis jacket on.
    2 & 3 were from the window at the area around last night's park up.
    4th one is the services at the Italian end of the Frejus tunnel. First sunshine since I departed UK.

james
    Likes Peteabix, delicagirl, Clunegapyears, winks liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    LPG in Italy is restricted to use for motive power.

I too have had refusals but some attendants are more flexible than others ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome

29th November: castelguglielmo, Veneto, Italy

Found a splendid municipal MH parking area in Castelguglielmo, Veneto, Italy, I've sent the details to POI Admin.

Free electric, 6A (afaik) , free grey/black disposal, free drinking water, nice, clean and quiet area in a small town with friendly locals.
    Whole area is paved & flat, 10 marked parking bays, I'm the only one here.

The free electric is heating up the hot water and topping up the batteries.
    After a scrub-up and tidy up, I'll be seeking out the local supermarket/shops.

I may relax here for a day or so, makes a very welcome change from the lorry parks on the motorways.

james

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    i am so enjoying your adventures and envy you..... i dont like going to very popular places in high season and inevitably that means poorer weather to get to where i want to go... but you are an inspiration.....

keep up the blog please...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Hi - just discovered this thread. Greece is a fantastic destination but it can be very cold in winter (snow is not uncommon in Athens). Since you are heading down through Italy, have you considered Sicily? We spent two winter months (December and January) there a few years back and the weather is certainly kinder than mainland Greece at that time of year. It can be damp but considerably warmer on average. I would describe the winter weather on Sicily as similar to Portugal but damper than southern Spain. Just a thought - but whatever you decide, good luck and have a good winter.

Member Number
    Motorhome

Italy not inWC POI so here are the details

Quote Originally Posted by FringeDweller View Post
    Found a splendid municipal MH parking area in Castelguglielmo, Veneto, Italy, I've sent the details to POI Admin.

Free electric, 6A (afaik) , free grey/black disposal, free drinking water, nice, clean and quiet area in a small town with friendly locals.
    Whole area is paved & flat, 10 marked parking bays, I'm the only one here.

The free electric is heating up the hot water and topping up the batteries.
    After a scrub-up and tidy up, I'll be seeking out the local supermarket/shops.

I may relax here for a day or so, makes a very welcome change from the lorry parks on the motorways.

james

Italy not in WC POI so here are the details

45.02235 11.53498
    Via Alessandro Volta (far end)
    Signposted campervan parking
    castelguglielmo, Veneto, Italy

castelguglielmo Municiple MH parking.
    Free electric (afaik) 6A
    free drinking water
    free grey & black waste disposal
    Rubbish bins
    10 marked flat pitches