CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: So I want to drive to Greece this winter....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 987M

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    if you're dead set on Spain.....I'd seriously recommend the ferry from Cittavechia to Barcelona.
    driving up the west coast of Italy, you'll eventually have to circumnavigate Genoa...( no fun ).
    then take the motorway along the Ligurian coast (endless tunnels & viaducts)....don't even think about trying
    the non motorway coast roads......much worse than the east coast Italian roads.
    after the Italian motorway, just over the French border, you have the horrendous drive down the mountain behind Monaco.
    it's motorway, but always scares the sh*t out of me.
    if you want to break up the ferry journey.....sail to Sardinia (Porto Torres....easy wilding around the port).....
    then ferry on to Barcelona.
    just my 2 cents ......happy trails.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post
    Thanks FringeDweller thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by vanmandan View Post
    if you're dead set on Spain.....I'd seriously recommend the ferry from Cittavechia to Barcelona.
    driving up the west coast of Italy, you'll eventually have to circumnavigate Genoa...( no fun ).
    then take the motorway along the Ligurian coast (endless tunnels & viaducts)....don't even think about trying
    after the Italian motorway, just over the French border, you have the horrendous drive down the mountain behind Monaco.
    if you want to break up the ferry journey.....sail to Sardinia (Porto Torres....easy wilding around the port).....
    Certainly from LaSpezia to and beyond Genoa the non-toll route would be herrendous
    OP experienced bad roads recently on the east ...double the problem and more !

We travelled from Susa going near Turin and south to Cuneo on Non-toll roads...Rutted Pot-hold Traffic after that is was M Ways always. As I posted earlier we spent a total of 117Euros on Italian Tolls including Sicily -but not including Ferries)
    Well worth it

When planning to go via Genoa remember one of the main bridges collapsed late summer so beware of the satnav but there will be diversions signed

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2004 Hymer Starline 680 LHD

December 12th update

Tonight will be my last night in Italy, I'll be in France sometime tomorrow.

I've skipped the intention to travel along the French Coast and have retraced my previous route via Turin and under Mont Blanc via the Frejus tunnel.

No idea what the trip down to Perpignon will be like with regard to protests and fuel rationing, but my Guardian Angels will take care of that.

dark & cold outside, just east of Turin, hoping to get some sunshine by the weekend.

james

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by vanmandan View Post

Thanks Dan, I've heeded your comments, I really don't like heights and there is enough aggro in France already so I've gone for the Frejus tunnel again and will get down to Perpignon on the motorways to get the miles behind me asap. #

james

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 987M
    the best laid plans o' mice & men....
    gang aft agley.

R. Burns

here comes the sun......

G. Harrison

you can get it if you really want......

J. Cliff

party on dude......
    Likes Clunegapyears, winks, Nabsim liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622
    Quote Originally Posted by FringeDweller View Post
    Thanks Dan, I've heeded your comments, I really don't like heights and there is enough aggro in France already so I've gone for the Frejus tunnel again and will get down to Perpignon on the motorways to get the miles behind me asap. #

james
    We also do not like heights.
    The alternative to Frejus tunnel is Col de Mont Cenis
    High but not steep or scary
    We used it in the summer very good ..................BUT NOT NOW (I expect the pass is closed)

Member Number
    Motorhome

Sunday 16th Dec - bandits avoided.

Sitting in the Galp service area on the A7/E15 Autovia Del Mediteraneo just south of Valencia.
    My last night in France was in Languedoc-Roussilon, crossed the border into Spain on Saturday morning, didn't see a protest and filled up twice since the Frejus with no fuel rationing or apparent shortages. Probably because I stayed on the motorways for the last leg of France.

First pull in for a break after crossing into Spain was a lay by near Barcelona, where I encountered my first highwayman of this trip. A head appeared through the side / kitchen window and was very excited and wound up, trying to get me to open the door and go outside to inspect some "plastique damage" to the motorhome. His car was parked at an angle in front of me, blocking my exit.
    Immediately recognising the situation, after having this T shirt in several colours from previous such attempts, I basically played ignorant and told him that I couldn't help.
    I was about to grab the phone to take some pictures of him, his mate and their car, I pointed to the dashcam and he walked once around the van before getting into his car and driving off. His mate stayed in the car but was watching very closely throughout.

I habitually have all door deadlocks on when I am parked up, luckily the dog had just completed his comfort break/new territory markups, and I had the doors locked and a window open.

Spent Saturday night at another service area south of Barcelona without incident.

I've had similar attempts on my last 2 euro cruises, I've been lucky so far, partly due to my cautiousness when parked up in certain places.

Now just south of Valencia and I'm down to a T shirt, it's very windy, making the driving in a straight line a little challenging.

I've got no fixed plans from this point in time, the laundry is building up so I'll probably seek out some campsite digs for a while.

Happy Daze

james
    Likes mark61, hanger18 liked this post
    Thanks POI Admin thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    That's a cautionary tale to which we should all take heed ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome

Loafing in a campsite for a week or so

After being on the road for a month, I pulled into a campsite in Balerma, Almeria.
    I've booked in for 2 weeks to catch up on the domestic chores, the usual 3 or 4 loads of laundry and endless free hot showers, I do tend to sleep better when I am in a safer place. This place (Mar Azul) is a typical big campsite occupied with many nation's retirees, wintering in the sunshine. Few English voices here.
    Spend your holiday at Mar Azul Campsite in Balerma, Almeria (Spain)

Good atmosphere and good choice of cafe food. Found the local Spar for basic provisions, will be getting a taxi up to the larger Consum supermarket some time next week.

As always, no fixed plans for next destinations, but I'll probably follow the coast around to Tarifa, stopping off in the evenings as and when.

I need to get a proper SatNav, which allows vehicle dimensions / weight to be included in it's calculations, the hastily purchased TomTom (after losing my rag with the Garmin Camper), will insist on sending me up narrow allies and under low bridges, already had a few nightmares where I've had to reverse into oncoming traffic to retreat from a low bridge in Italy and several narrow side streets in Spain which were un-navigable to a motorhome.

Algecicras has a large Media-Markt that should sell me a suitable device.

That's all for now, dear reader, Happy Humbugs to those of you who participate in the Pagan Festivities, I'll be ignoring the entire thing as I usually do.

james
    Likes mark61, Nabsim, winks, jacquigem, hanger18 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    Have a look at Co Pilot for caravans ... itís what we use. Though nothing is fail safe. Have a warm and dry Christmas and New Year.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information