CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I want to drive to Greece this winter....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2004 Hymer Starline 680 LHD

So I want to drive to Greece this winter....

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Advice, comments, suggestions etc, All are welcome. - Thanks

As yet, undecided but I'm leaning heavily towards Greece for the winter.

I'll be landing in Calais this coming weekend and after a brief visit to Belgium for coffee, chocolate and ciggies, I'll be heading south.

Provisionally heading to Marseilles and going approximately along the coast, into Italy and down to southern Italy for a ferry crossing.

For the unaware, I'm oldphart retiree and paraplegic, travelling alone except for my loyal Jack Russell named Dave. Dave is 14.

These factors are only mentioned as they affect my choices and available options. (eg I can't park up 10 minutes walk from a "must see attraction" and Dave the dog must be welcome) .

Ferries are worrisome as most require the pooch to be jailed for the duration, he's never sinned enough to be locked in a cage and he's too old to be expected to endure it.

I do travel with an electric mobility scooter but I tend to unload the rear garage only if I am staying more than a couple of days in a safe(ish) spot or campsite.

Other than these things, I don't allow anything to worry me and I'm very open minded and inquisitive and I fear little.

Any and all comments welcomed - Thanks, james

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto Trail Dakota 2013
    We intend to do the same in the very near future , so will keep a close eye on the replies , and good luck on your travels
    Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, cool buzzing, high talking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing...........Cant remember
    Thanks FringeDweller, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Euromobil 635 A Class

Greece and the Greeks

Hi We traveled over to Kefallonia via Patras on the Greek mainland , Our route was via Brindisi in southern Italy, I would suggest some work needed re ferry as there websites are not the best.
    We had absolutely no problems with the trip we wild camped for three weeks apart from visiting relatives on Kefallonia cheap eating out Lidl everywhere Wine a bit iffy, people fine , Its the old story be considerate when parking ( we parked on beaches quays side roads etc no problems ) but Athens a big disappointment
    Dirty and full unhappy people.
    Good luck ( we're off to Morocco in January)
    Al Sourer
    Likes delicagirl, jeffmossy, wildcampnewbie liked this post
    Thanks FringeDweller thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    2004 Hymer Starline 680 LHD

addendum

If the ferries don't suit the pooch, I may do it the long way around along the Adriatic coast, via Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania into northern Greece.

I'll be checking the pet passport and vehicle insurance jurisdictions before selecting this route.

This option sounds more adventurous.

somebody talk me into it.

james
    Likes delicagirl liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

mickymost is offline Free Member
    Name: Michael
    Spouse: Swmbo

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer Mercedes s560 1993 built to last!
    Quote Originally Posted by FringeDweller View Post
    If the ferries don't suit the pooch, I may do it the long way around along the Adriatic coast, via Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania into northern Greece.

I'll be checking the pet passport and vehicle insurance jurisdictions before selecting this route.

This option sounds more adventurous.

somebody talk me into it.

james

Hi James fellow Hymer Owner

Reading your first post here I dont think you need much talking into this adventure as you need to put your old fella dog named Dave first as a priority.I know nothing of this route you are considering but many on this forum will no doubt be happy to guide you!

whatever you do stay safe and pat the dog for me

atb Michael

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 400 Peugeot Boxer 2.0
    If you decide on the overland route, if you haven't already done so you should check whether your insurance policy and breakdown cover includes Montenegro and Albania.
    George Best: "I spent a lot of money on booze, women and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
    Likes mickymost, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper winchcombe sprinter b
    I have only done this route once, in a sprinter van for work and sailed from Brindisi to Patras, and they allow you to go to come and go to the car deck as and whenever you like and even stay/ sleep in your motor home, I just turned up at brindisi and booked and paid for the ferry there
    Likes delicagirl, Polar Bear liked this post
    Thanks FringeDweller, peter palance, mid4did thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 987M
    I assume you're going down the Rhone valley to Marseilles, then along the Ligurian coast ......
    might run into problems with the bridge being down in Genoa,you could bypass that & head to Venice
    & catch the ferry to Patras.
    I'm disabled from a stroke & never book a cabin on a ferry...,always just shut the blinds
    & keep a low profile....never had a problem.
    another possibility......ferry from Marseilles or Toulon to Sardinia, ferry again to Palermo,
    enjoy Sicily....then ferry over to mainland Italy & catch the ferry from Bari to Patras.
    I've done a few winters in Greece,....but now on my 8th winter in southern Sicily,
    which I much prefer.
    you could of course do the Swiss or Austrian route,..... personally, I don't do snow.
    hope your travels go well....keep us posted.
    ciao, D.
    Likes Clunegapyears, mid4did liked this post
    Thanks FringeDweller, Silver sprinter, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by helen262 View Post
    they allow you to go to come and go to the car deck as and whenever you like and even stay/ sleep in your motor home,
    We sailed camping on board with Anek but they only allow it summer sailings (check Dates) and everyone did not have access to car deck we had a pass key issued.

Booked ferry with Boat / Ferry tickets reservation Online. Ferries to Greece and Greek islands online booking system All Greek Ferries routes from/to Italy, Greece, Albania, Turkey and Greek islands. Ferries in Greece. Sea Travel Ferries to Greek islands. Greek Ferrie they are agents who offer the best deal from several companies

This couples blog might help their members here Greece | Clune Gap Years
    Last edited by witzend; 13-11-2018 at 22:25.
    Likes Clunegapyears liked this post
    Thanks peter palance, FringeDweller thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Snow !

They say
    "There's no business like SNOW business"..
    But as others have posted "plan" to avoid !
    Good luck !
    Thanks peter palance, FringeDweller thanked for this post

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information