Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sat Nav recomendations?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elnagh Clipper Ford Transit 2.5D (1989)

Sat Nav recomendations?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi everyone

We drive to the south of Spain 3 or 4 times a year and every time so far we have had either the sat nav routing us down single track farm roads for miles on end to arrive at an Aire next to the motorway we originally came off or complete failure of the satnav due to overheating on the windscreen.

So, if anyone has any recommendations for a good sat nav that will do its job and has EU mapping I would be really grateful.

I think the only requirement would be the ability to input GPS coordinates easily and if possible have a function for "large" vehicle to avoid single track small roads etc.

Many Thanks
    James

Member Number
    I use the Tom Tom Go Camper. It's pricey but seems to work very well. You can input the dimensions of your vehicle which should stop you being directed down too narrow lanes or under too low bridges. It has free map updates and free traffic management info for the lifetime of the unit.

See : TomTom GO Camper
    Thanks jaycey001 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    I use Waze free app which is brill, donít know about POI though. I also have a Garmin DezlCam HGV truck sat nav with build in dash cam which I use for work. Running the two together is virtually faultless coupled with common sense.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    What satnav are you using at present?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by colinmd View Post
    What satnav are you using at present?
    I am not sure to be honest, I know it is a TomTom but not a fancy one, just their budget EU model.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Nexxo T660
    For me it has to be Garmin every time. Apart from the inbuilt unit in the car Iíve got 2 Garmin for the bikes and a Garmin Dezl 760 for the MH.
    Likes Asterix liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycey001 View Post
    I am not sure to be honest, I know it is a TomTom but not a fancy one, just their budget EU model.
    On some models of satnav you can set either quickest or shortest route, in most cases quickest route will be best, as for the over heating I'd guess the internal batteries are on way out.
    Of all the satnavs I've used tomtom as good as it gets for routing, but none are perfect and need checking of the route and if necessary you might need to put in a waypoint.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    On iGo you have a choice of shortest, fastest (not the same as quickest) economic (balance time and distance), simple (fewer turns). And then it offers alternatives within those parameters. But most people just go with what is offered first.

I expect that the Tomtom overheated because it was in Spanish Sun. The cure is simple: don't leave it in direct sun.
    You sold me, Just ordered an Xgody 886 and will test it out this spring down to Spain and over to Devon in a few weeks. It has mixed reviews but mainly down to ease of use, im happy using Linux OS so happy learning a bit if it isnt too intuitive. Fingers crossed all works out, I will report back with a review after the Easter holiday trip
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

How did you buy it please

Quote Originally Posted by jaycey001 View Post
    You sold me, Just ordered an Xgody 886 and will test it out this spring down to Spain and over to Devon in a few weeks. It has mixed reviews but mainly down to ease of use, im happy using Linux OS so happy learning a bit if it isnt too intuitive. Fingers crossed all works out, I will report back with a review after the Easter holiday trip
    Amazon says will not ship to UK

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post
    Amazon says will not ship to UK
    Brought from Ebay in end, £39. At that price (not that I have money to burn) its not the end of the world if it ends up as a Back up satnav.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information