CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo vanners... driving on the wrong side of the road...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    From a truckies point of view, it is all about getting your mirrors set up properly.
    When I was trucking, I would have the normal mirror set so that I could just see my own truck and most of the view was further out. The wide angle was set to view from where the normal mirror view stopped.
    This would enable me to reverse an artic blind side around a 90 degree road junction.
    I might have needed to move my head and lean a little in some extreme circumstances.
    For me, I had and still do in my M/H have a full view when joining a M Way or similar and it is more difficult when joining at about 45 degree or more!
    yes i have similer on my mitzy.
    shame m,homes etc have gone away from door mounted frames to put good mirrors on.
    i use a long one (up.down) for close views and a wide angle above that looks all over the side and back wards.
    i find the wide angle not as accurate for reversing but it lets you see movement of others etc.
    might be an idea for some to visit a truck garage and have a sit in some of the trucks if only to see how good mirrors can be.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I have one that looks identical to the first in your link. It is there because I haven't got round to removing it.
    Not that it is no good, just that it is far less good than the round stick-on 8cm ones attached to each mirror. They are wonderful, as long as your mirrors are big enough to take them.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    From a truckies point of view, it is all about getting your mirrors set up properly.
    When I was trucking, I would have the normal mirror set so that I could just see my own truck and most of the view was further out. The wide angle was set to view from where the normal mirror view stopped.
    This would enable me to reverse an artic blind side around a 90 degree road junction.
    I might have needed to move my head and lean a little in some extreme circumstances.
    For me, I had and still do in my M/H have a full view when joining a M Way or similar and it is more difficult when joining at about 45 degree or more!

its almost impossible when driving on the right.... and that's why i started this post.... at very obtuse angled junctions in France i will feel almost completely blind as i enter the inside lane if i am alone.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Yes, we have one
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    [/U][/B]

its almost impossible when driving on the right.... and that's why i started this post.... at very obtuse angled junctions in France i will feel almost completely blind as i enter the inside lane if i am alone.
    It must be your vehicle then as I have driven many hundreds of thousands of miles with a RHD truck and RHD M/H's abroad and not experienced you problem. OK it is a little more difficult, but that is all!
    It is all about mirrors!
    Just a thought,
    at the right moment, maybe angle your vehicle so you can see the road through the mirror.
    I learned to angle the truck at junctions, so that I could see. The same goes when driving a LHD here in UK
    Last edited by grath; 30-11-2018 at 10:41.
    Tramping the Dream, Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine at the Rainbow end!
    Likes Edina, delicagirl, ironman liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    It must be your vehicle then as I have driven many hundreds of thousands of miles with a RHD truck and RHD M/H's abroad and not experienced you problem. OK it is a little more difficult, but that is all!
    It is all about mirrors!
    Just a thought,
    at the right moment, maybe angle your vehicle so you can see the road through the mirror.
    I learned to angle the truck at junctions, so that I could see. The same goes when driving a LHD here in UK
    my wing mirrors are a nightmare. Once i have sat in the cab then someone else has to adjust them and then fix the angle with screws externally so mirrors cannot be re-sited from inside the cab as are modern ones.. the van is 25 years old. everything about my van is a nightmare !!!!
    Last edited by delicagirl; 30-11-2018 at 11:12.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Compass Avantgarde 140 💫
    [/U][/B] its almost impossible when driving on the right.... and that's why i started this post.... at very obtuse angled junctions in France i will feel almost completely blind as i enter the inside lane if i am alone.
    I travel alone most of the time and meet this issue at angled junctions and curving service area exit routes a lot, both here and abroad. I don't have a reversing camera or any extra mirrors but find it's all about getting the van at the right angle and keeping the nearside mirror slightly on the wide side. After 4 years of solo driving, I'm not finding it particularly tricky any more. Although I had a co-driver for the trip to Europe, I still found that if you quickly get completely parallel on the slip road of motorways, you can easily see what's coming up in the first lane, in exactly the same way as moving back into the inside lane after overtaking here. I don't think you'd have a problem once you've got the mirror right... motorway junctions are actually easier than junctions on quiet roads both here and in Europe because you've got the space to get into the right position, plus no hills and blind bends! On small roads, I have been known to back up and reposition or get out of the van to recce a completely blind junction in the middle of nowhere and then nose out with my hand on the horn!
    Likes delicagirl, yeoblade, carol, antiquesam liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter 516CSi 4x4 camper
    It is all about mirrors!
    Just a thought,
    I agree with grath. Turn the van at a junction or roundabout so that you can see the oncoming traffic even if you are at quite a sharp angle on the road you are on. Make sure that no one is coming up on the left side before you make such a maneuver. The best view is the one you get through the window.

The blind spot mirrors will give you more vision but won't provide a full view as you need to see at an angle closer to 90 degrees to the van. The alternative would be to have a wide angle (110 degrees) camera set at about 120 - 130 degrees from the direction of travel (this would also allow you to see down the side of the van). However you may well find a blind spot mirror plus turning the vehicle will give you good vision.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveandann View Post
    I agree with grath. Turn the van at a junction or roundabout so that you can see the oncoming traffic even if you are at quite a sharp angle on the road you are on. Make sure that no one is coming up on the left side before you make such a maneuver. The best view is the one you get through the window.

The blind spot mirrors will give you more vision but won't provide a full view as you need to see at an angle closer to 90 degrees to the van. The alternative would be to have a wide angle (110 degrees) camera set at about 120 - 130 degrees from the direction of travel (this would also allow you to see down the side of the van). However you may well find a blind spot mirror plus turning the vehicle will give you good vision.
    i a NOT talking about ordinary junctions i can do that easy peasy in england or france... i am talking about feeding into a fast flowing motorway in france

i can hardly stop there
    Likes carol liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter 516CSi 4x4 camper
    i a NOT talking about ordinary junctions i can do that easy peasy in england or france... i am talking about feeding into a fast flowing motorway in france

i can hardly stop there
    OK the basic principles of merging on a motorway are the same whether driving on the left or the right for which a decent blind spot mirror will be a great help.
    Likes delicagirl, ironman liked this post

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information