CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Solo vanners... driving on the wrong side of the road...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    just to finalise this.... the van went to Martock Panelcraft Ltd this week to have the rust removed and a new plate inserted to support the wing mirror support arm. The wonderful guys there also rebuilt my original passenger side plastic wing mirror, (it really was smashed and a bit was missing) and it looks brand spanking new... you could never tell it was smashed and it is no longer taped up !!!! YEA - This is a great body work shop which i would highly recommend. So vision restored.......
    Likes yeoblade, Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    i dont quite know how to explain it any differently.

on UK roads i am absolutely fine. i have been driving for more years than i will disclose and have driven small trucks for living and my camper van is not large. in the van i have a rear view cab mirror which sees lorries behind me; i have 2 rear view camera screens on my dashboad (one camera is mounted at tarmac level and the other one on the roof) and a marvellous pavement mirror so i can see exactly underneath the front of my van for when i need to exactly fit into a parking bay for example i can see the white lines. With all these mirrors i can see behind me, in front of me, alongside me....

the question is

when i am feeding onto a french or foreign motorway at an obtuse angle.... i can see vehicles following me, or overtaking me on the slip road, but i cannot see traffic in the slow lane of the motorway (which i am feeding into) BECAUSE OF THE ANGLE
    I know exactly what you mean, and like others on here my husband says it the mirrors not positioned right, I dont agree with him, as it is only that angle, and if he is driving he relys on me to tell him if clear.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    I have not read through all post but my answer, and one of the first things I fitted when I was single, was good parobolic mirrors. I was lucky the ones for Merc Sprinters had the same profile as my N+B mirrors, so just bolted on top.

One just has to get used to the fact that distance looks longer so one has to compensate.

They also give better downward vision for low vehicles alongside in one's blindspot in normal mirrors.

These are mandatory for modern trucks and in my opinion should be for MHs.

When pulling out/in I check both mirrors. Learnt this from driving trucks.

Geoff
    Thanks delicagirl thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    I have not read through all post but my answer, and one of the first things I fitted when I was single, was good parobolic mirrors. I was lucky the ones for Merc Sprinters had the same profile as my N+B mirrors, so just bolted on top.

One just has to get used to the fact that distance looks longer so one has to compensate.

They also give better downward vision for low vehicles alongside in one's blindspot in normal mirrors.

These are mandatory for modern trucks and in my opinion should be for MHs.

When pulling out/in I check both mirrors. Learnt this from driving trucks.

Geoff

Thanks.... my problem is not to do with the type of glass in different mirrors but Exactly what Cass has said - its the angle between the french motorway slip road and the motorway itself which is the problem when driving my RHD vehicle .... I have now got 5 different mirrors i can look in - but none of them are ideal if i dont have a passenger to look out of their window, but the mirror i have taped underneath my passenger windscreen visor can be angled as i can move the visor... so i have better line of vision. But driving on the "wrong" side of the road will always be a challenge....

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    just to finalise this.... the van went to Martock Panelcraft Ltd this week to have the rust removed and a new plate inserted to support the wing mirror support arm. The wonderful guys there also rebuilt my original passenger side plastic wing mirror, (it really was smashed and a bit was missing) and it looks brand spanking new... you could never tell it was smashed and it is no longer taped up !!!! YEA - This is a great body work shop which i would highly recommend. So vision restored.......
    God that must have been some tape i used to patch it up if lasted that long.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    God that must have been some tape i used to patch it up if lasted that long.
    HA HA !!! Yes Trev - a great repair thank you..... i did add one or two more lengths of tape as the rain loosened a couple of bits - but basically Trev your repair lasted 2 or was it 3 years !!! it would still be there had the storms not pushed a tree branch out into the lane before christmas and i didn't see it so cracked the whole thing...
    Likes Lee, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleepers Symbol campervan
    I get the missus to say when it's safe to pull out & overtake, haven't had a head-on......Yet!
    Britons were wild camping long before campsites, it's a basic human right.
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

I stay in the slip road

I drive more or less parallel to the main lanes and use the wing mirror.
    and steer gently but positively into the 1st lane as soon as possible/safe
    Only problem is if slip road is too short..
    Butt remember (mainly) the other users are not going to deliberately crash into you
    Busy roundabouts are a different problem !

The other problem is narrow roads and sharp bends in towns and village with big lorries coming at you..

Touch BOIS no collisions so far !
    Likes delicagirl, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    I blame it all on napoleon.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes mark61 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post
    I drive more or less parallel to the main lanes and use the wing mirror.
    and steer gently but positively into the 1st lane as soon as possible/safe
    Only problem is if slip road is too short..
    Butt remember (mainly) the other users are not going to deliberately crash into you
    Hopefully you indicate as well ...

In France it is worth remembering that the protocol for roundabouts is different.

Unlike the UK it is normal practice with a two-lane roundabout to use the right-hand lane when taking, for example, the third exit. Make sure you're indicating left as you enter the roundabout so other drivers know what you plan ... And of course indicate right prior to the exit you're taking.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information