CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo vanners... driving on the wrong side of the road...

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500

Solo vanners... driving on the wrong side of the road...

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi last year i went to France for a couple of months and drove on the wrong side of the road for the first time in decades. I knew as soon as i landed at Cherbourg that i was utterly terrified and i dont know what stopped me getting back on the ferry and going to Eire instead.. but i didn't. i set my satnav to no motorways and as i didn't have a deadline to get home for, i really enjoyed pootling about France on smaller roads. i did once accidentally end up on a motorway and could feel my heart thumping like a maniac.

what i am afraid of is joining motorways at an acute angle at a highish speed, without anohter pair of eyes to assist me.

Since last years trip i have added another rear view camera which was fitted at a very low level - but is wide angle is only really useful to see someone immediateley behind me. My habitation area and cab are fairly high (from my perspective - this is my first van) and there is definitely a significant blind spot in the middle of the cab when i am at an obtuse angle approaching a motorway.

normally i am a very confident driver and have driven the van up and some some insane roads, its just this lack of vision that causes me great fear.

i have 2 long wing mirrors one rear view mirror (i can only see lorries behind me) and 2 rear view camera screens....

i dont know how to best use them for joining a Mway...

How do other solo travellers do this ?
    Likes FringeDweller liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    Don't know about joining a motorway and seeing behind or to the side but have heard of people putting another camera in the front passenger side windscreen so they can see to overtake.
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Driving a x250 my primary visual aide are door mirrors, they are large and bottom one is wide angle, this and being electrically adjusted plus getting up to speed asap means I rarely need help.
    p.s. where I can struggle is roundabouts, but then I have gf to help. when driving a panelvan single handed I had a second interior mirror suction mounted just to left of standard mirror and angled out the passenger side window.
    Last edited by colinmd; 29-11-2018 at 21:22.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb
    I find it a bit scary sometimes Collette but managed so far. My van is smaller than yours which helps.
    Likes delicagirl, peter palance liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Niessmann Bischcoff Arto 690E
    Spoke to an edinburgh couple while waiting for train back to UK (euro tunnel) they added a camera to LHS mirror, looked the biz.
    Likes trevskoda, carol, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    mitsubishi canter mini artic
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post
    Hi last year i went to France for a couple of months and drove on the wrong side of the road for the first time in decades. I knew as soon as i landed at Cherbourg that i was utterly terrified and i dont know what stopped me getting back on the ferry and going to Eire instead.. but i didn't. i set my satnav to no motorways and as i didn't have a deadline to get home for, i really enjoyed pootling about France on smaller roads. i did once accidentally end up on a motorway and could feel my heart thumping like a maniac.

what i am afraid of is joining motorways at an acute angle at a highish speed, without anohter pair of eyes to assist me.

Since last years trip i have added another rear view camera which was fitted at a very low level - but is wide angle is only really useful to see someone immediateley behind me. My habitation area and cab are fairly high (from my perspective - this is my first van) and there is definitely a significant blind spot in the middle of the cab when i am at an obtuse angle approaching a motorway.

normally i am a very confident driver and have driven the van up and some some insane roads, its just this lack of vision that causes me great fear.

i have 2 long wing mirrors one rear view mirror (i can only see lorries behind me) and 2 rear view camera screens....

dont use m,ways . use only minor roads . thats how you see the country you are in.
    hug the kerb .
    best if in a rh drive van to have a window on the left handside behind the front door .
    as you get older you might get more childish like me .
    as a class 1 truck driver i now cant use m,ways . toll roads ,avoid dual carriageways ,
    as children arent allowed to play on busy roads.
    but use minor roads smile at the locals . thats how you find good places to stop, empty toilets , fill with water etc .
    local folk can be very helpful.
    Likes Makzine liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    You could always get a second person to site on the blind side to help,im told there is a nice chap around glengormley that offers his services.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes delicagirl, time4t, pamjon liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido 987M
    I had these fitted on my last van,...found them very useful,
    will get them for the new van, as I had a few hairy moments in Sardinia earlier this year.

2 X HERCULES EAST FIT MOTORHOME REAR VIEW WIDE ANGLE BLIND SPOT MIRROR MOTORAMA | eBay

Quote...(from my perspective - this is my first van)

seem to recall you mentioning abandoning a Paralian many moons ago......
    a sin unforgivable ...!!!!
    Likes runnach liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Citroen Relay swb
    Quote Originally Posted by delicagirl View Post

Btw, Collette, something someone suggested I do when driving on the right is have the left side mirror further out than it usually is to give a better view of the road.
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    You could mount a small cam on mirror leg at angle and connect to screen inside,simple to do job.
    Only dirty people wash

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information