CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Etias

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

Etias

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Here’s some more burocracy for trips to Europe from 2021 onwards, Brexit or no Brexit.
    Schengen Visa area requirements - Shengen countries

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Only if you are Non EU

In fact they have made it Easier !!!

When my Thai wife first came to UK we had to apply for said "Schengen Visa" at either the embassy of Entry
    OR the main destination

We managed 3 separate trips to Europe..
    The most awkward being Italy as you have to visit the embassy to apply and then again to collect

So an on-line application system should be better.
    UK in its wisdom (?) chose not to sign up to the Schengen Treaty.

We have no problem now as my wife is a UK citizen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Weinsberg Komet
    It is my understanding that any visit to the Schengen area is limited to 90 days but there is no limit on the number of such visits, within its three year document life.

So, would a visit to Gibraltar constitute leaving the Schengen area and if it does, could a quick visit to the rock, enable us to travel for more than 3 months on our winter jollies?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed on Toast View Post
    It is my understanding that any visit to the Schengen area is limited to 90 days but there is no limit on the number of such visits, within its three year document life.

So, would a visit to Gibraltar constitute leaving the Schengen area and if it does, could a quick visit to the rock, enable us to travel for more than 3 months on our winter jollies?

The rule for non-EU citizens is no more than 90 days in any period of 180, so if you exhaust your 90 days in one visit, you have to leave the Schengen area for a further 90 days before you can return.
    Thanks TJBi, Ed on Toast thanked for this post

Member Number
    If you apply for a full visa document instead of the etias does the 90 day in 180 limit still apply or is travel in Schengen then unrestricted for the life of the visa?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by Moped View Post
    If you apply for a full visa document instead of the etias does the 90 day in 180 limit still apply or is travel in Schengen then unrestricted for the life of the visa?
    It does not matter whether you have a visa or qualify for a visa waiver. The rule for ALL non-EU citizens is 90 days in any 180.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    I trust we will have a reciprocal Bretias and put a few quid in the Government coffers.

Member Number
    This link makes interesting reading especially the section about extended stays in Southern European countries. It seems Spain and Portugal offer long term stay visas for the retired. As long as you enter and exit Europe through the country whose retirement visa you have obtained ( ie Spain) then you can enjoy unlimited travel in the Shengen zone. But the visa costs are higher, you will require medical and travel insurance, and you need to apply through a consulate.

Your Guide to (Legally) Staying in Europe for More Than 90 Days

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B698
    Quote Originally Posted by Moped View Post
    This link makes interesting reading especially the section about extended stays in Southern European countries. It seems Spain and Portugal offer long term stay visas for the retired. As long as you enter and exit Europe through the country whose retirement visa you have obtained ( ie Spain) then you can enjoy unlimited travel in the Shengen zone. But the visa costs are higher, you will require medical and travel insurance, and you need to apply through a consulate.

Your Guide to (Legally) Staying in Europe for More Than 90 Days
    Not only that, but all the documents you have to provide (and they are many and complicated) have to be professionally translated into Spanish - very expensive. You also have to apply to the consulate in person within a narrow time span before you wish to travel. These long term visas are an anachronism dating from before Schengen was set up and which they are trying to phase out by making it difficult to get. The fees are non-refundable in the event of refusal and if you apply for them on a regular basis (assuming the first one is granted) then they will refuse on the grounds that if you wish to spend that much time in the country you should take out residency instead. So, in summary, difficult to get, very expensive and, at best, a short-term solution.

PS I almost forgot - getting medical insurance for more than 90 days is difficult - especially if you are of retirement age. One company quoted me a premium that was so high that I could have spent the winter in Australia (where they have free reciprocal health care) for less!!
    Last edited by John H; 15-12-2018 at 08:13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information