CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Brittany Ferries - check your vehicle height matches your booking

  1. #1

    Member Number
    16259
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    62
    Motorhome
    T5

    Brittany Ferries - check your vehicle height matches your booking



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Just made a booking with Brittany Ferries to take us to Spain later this year and noticed that unlike previous years, even though I had selected 'Motorhome' on the booking, when the PDF with the booking arrived in my email, it had specified the height of our vehicle as being the one that the DVLA knows about for our 'base' vehicle rather than Brittany Ferries definition of what a motorhome can be.

    Our campervan is 2.1m (it has a roof) where as the VW transporter it is based upon is 1.99m. The motorhome category I picked during the booking process was 2.6m.

    A quick call to their customer service team got the the height altered on the booking but thought I would share this detail in case anyone scrapes their roof or incurs extra charges at the ferry terminal because Brittany Ferries were expecting something shorter.

    Bon Voyage!
    Likes rockape, jack6trains liked this post
    Thanks Minisorella, peter palance, Silver sprinter, Chip thanked for this post

  2. #2

    Member Number
    74361
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    178
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by sololite View Post
    Just made a booking with Brittany Ferries to take us to Spain later this year and noticed that unlike previous years, even though I had selected 'Motorhome' on the booking, when the PDF with the booking arrived in my email, it had specified the height of our vehicle as being the one that the DVLA knows about for our 'base' vehicle rather than Brittany Ferries definition of what a motorhome can be.

    Our campervan is 2.1m (it has a roof) where as the VW transporter it is based upon is 1.99m. The motorhome category I picked during the booking process was 2.6m.

    A quick call to their customer service team got the the height altered on the booking but thought I would share this detail in case anyone scrapes their roof or incurs extra charges at the ferry terminal because Brittany Ferries were expecting something shorter.

    Bon Voyage!
    Well Brittany Ferries are stupid to rely on any DVLA information, and especially on height as it is not recorded on a V5.

    On my V5 the following are totally blank.

    D.2 Type
    D.3 Model
    V7 CO2 (gm/km
    S.1 Number of seate including driver
    J. Vehicle category
    K Type approval number
    P.2 Max reference power
    F.1 Max permissible mass
    G. Mass in service

    [ ignore trailer info]

    [V1-V5 All emissions info are blank]

    Even Transport for London's LEZ contractors no longer rely on DVLA information, as did the previous contractor and will accept any evidence submitted to them directly.

    DVLA will put on the form whatever the Dealer or Owner tells them, as long as they get the right tax. They do not know one end of a vehicle from another.

    For technical details it would be better if DVSA(ex VOSA) handled the system as they know vehicles.

    Geoff

  3. #3

    Member Number
    56601
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    11,881
    Location
    Mid Devon
    Motorhome
    Self build
    When you choose Motorhome on B Ferries you get the screen below which clearly asks you the height of your vehicle - nothing to do with DVLA,

    Likes yeoblade liked this post
    Thanks sololite thanked for this post

  4. #4

    Member Number
    13285
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,782
    Motorhome
    Autosleepers Symbol campervan

    Not only height, watch the length!

    Since last year Brittany Ferries have been using Manufacturers Specifications to ascertain vehicle dimensions as many have been telling porkies on the length of their vans.

    I have always put the length of my Auto Sleepers Symbol at 5 metres but last year BF queried this, said the length was 5.09mtrs from the 2004 maker's spec.

    I realised that this included the rear step. So simple solution...Remove rear step!...2 bolts, 10 minutes work. They measured the van at Portsmouth, 5mtrs, OK.

    On arrival at Santander, pull over at port, reattach step, another 10mins work. 35 quid saved!
    Britons were wild camping long before campsites, it's a basic human right.
    Likes toystory liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

  5. #5

    Member Number
    74361
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    178
    Motorhome
    N+B Arto 69GL(2003)
    Quote Originally Posted by spigot View Post
    Since last year Brittany Ferries have been using Manufacturers Specifications to ascertain vehicle dimensions as many have been telling porkies on the length of their vans.

    I have always put the length of my Auto Sleepers Symbol at 5 metres but last year BF queried this, said the length was 5.09mtrs from the 2004 maker's spec.

    I realised that this included the rear step. So simple solution...Remove rear step!...2 bolts, 10 minutes work. They measured the van at Portsmouth, 5mtrs, OK.

    On arrival at Santander, pull over at port, reattach step, another 10mins work. 35 quid saved!



    Whose specifications? Base vehicles? Converters? Modifiers? When somebody puts a sat dish on the roof is it recorded on any government database - of course not.

  6. #6

    Member Number
    13285
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,782
    Motorhome
    Autosleepers Symbol campervan
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
    Whose specifications? Base vehicles? Converters? Modifiers? When somebody puts a sat dish on the roof is it recorded on any government database - of course not.

    The specifications are from the motorhome manufacturer, or if you’re going to be pedantic, the converter.

    The dimensions are as it left the factory, not including anything bolted on afterwards like bike rack etc.
    Britons were wild camping long before campsites, it's a basic human right.

  7. #7

    Member Number
    16259
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    62
    Motorhome
    T5
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    When you choose Motorhome on B Ferries you get the screen below which clearly asks you the height of your vehicle - nothing to do with DVLA,

    Thanks. Thats the issue. I selected this option but when the pdf for the booking arrived it had our campervan listed as a VW TRANSPORTER with a height of 1.99m. The lady at Britannia customer services told me that the number had come from the DVLA. In previous years the height on the pdf was 2.6m so something has changed.
    Likes yeoblade liked this post
    Thanks Edina thanked for this post

  8. #8

    Member Number
    40063
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,908
    Quote Originally Posted by sololite View Post
    The lady at Britannia customer services told me …..
    Roughly translated as:


  9. #9

    Member Number
    37932
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,314
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250)
    Thanks, always check the booking confirmation matches what you purchased.
    When I booked DFDS Newhaven on the (phone to get old man discount) and declared 8.6m long, she told me," we put that in the up to 8m charge length! That's okay. The next category is 10m and you're no where near to that."
    So I did.

    Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk
    Swift 630G
    in the boot

  10. #10

    Member Number
    17239
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,286
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Motorhome
    Herald Templar
    Brittany had me for 0.1m on a commercial Mercedes Sprinter flat bed because I had a towbar. They then tucked me under the front of an unaccompanied trailer saving them half a metre. Anything to make a Euro or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •