Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: France speed cameras sabotaged

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007

France speed cameras sabotaged

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Yellow vests knock out 60% of all speed cameras in France - BBC News

On my recent drive from Dieppe to the Med I noticed nearly all cameras wrapped in black plastic ...

At the time I thought they had been disabled due to the change from 90kph to 80kph limits and were awaiting recalibration.

Evidently not!

As an aside I note that TomTom have updated their maps to reflect the lowered limit. There are some inconsistencies where the limit remains at 90kph e.g. on multiple lane roads without a physical barrier between opposing carriageways. Here TomTom has played safe and shows the limit as 80kph.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk
    Likes Tezza33 liked this post
    Thanks jacquigem, Adria home, Shockingdog, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    As an aside I note that TomTom have updated their maps to reflect the lowered limit. There are some inconsistencies where the limit remains at 90kph e.g. on multiple lane roads without a physical barrier between opposing carriageways. Here TomTom has played safe and shows the limit as 80kph.
    I honestly can't make out what the limits are. They don't seem to follow the published rules.

In France in November, I saw four lane roads with no central barrier with 90 limit signs both ways. There were three lane roads with the two lane direction getting a 90 sign and the one lane side getting a 80 sign.

It seems that the central barrier is only needed to get the 90 limit when there is just one lane in each direction. But I can't find that written down anywhere: I just observed it on the roads.
    Likes big tom liked this post
    Thanks peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Yes ...

That is pretty much what I observed.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Dakota 2007
    Somebody must have made a few bob supplying the many 80 signs and installing them!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    Not done a lot of mileage within France this year, just cutting across the north east a few times, TomTom seemed to be correct on the later trips when limit had changed.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1997 Lunar Road Star 570 2001 BMW 1150RS
    I try and keep to 50 / 60 mph so no real problem and use the sat nag set at KPH just in case, as a speedo (I can't see the one on the dash!!) I do have a dear friend here who will annually update the 'Oppy get lost machine, so hopefully we will be safe on our next forray, health permitting
    Last edited by oppy; 10-01-2019 at 22:29.
    Be the best that you can, without causing pain to others
    Likes Tezza33, peter palance liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 694 - Renault master pvc
    We saw this as well on our last trip all speed cameras were either sprayed or wrapped in plastic. The French consider them as a tax and therefore stopped it being able to collect. Going out again in a couple of weeks so will see if there still wrapped
    When you don't care what anyone thinks of you, you have reached an awesome level of freedom
    Likes delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Somebody must have made a few bob supplying the many 80 signs and installing them!

One of Macron's mates no doubt.
    Likes POI Admin liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby Van Exclusive
    <snip>
    When in France in early August through to mid September 2018, I found that my Garmin was consistent with road signage in terms of 80 and 90 km/h limits. On the other hand, as for some years, there were inconsistencies in respect of start location of 50 km/h limits (where the speed limit signs had been moved further out) and the location of 30 km/h limits, with some not being shown on the Garmin while it showed others that were not indicated by signage.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 584 Classic
    We have seen the speed cameras smashed, some set on fire and others wrapped in black plastic, I don't think we saw one that was working.
    TomTom was pretty accurate with the speed signs but I still kept vigilant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information