CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not Spain & Portugal

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Motorhome on a Renault Master

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I've been in Croatia for a few days now. By the coast is busy, but the hinterland is very sparsely populated, probably due to the lack of soil. Most places inland are very barren. The motorways are a quick but very uninteresting way of getting around. There are places to wildcamp on the apps. As I needed to do some washing I went onto a campsite in Istria. What I saw of Istria is that it is geared up for mass tourism along the coast, but then again it is geared for mass tourism all along the Croatian coast. The best known inland attraction is the Pitivic Lakes. Tour buses are there all the time and one of the locals told me that it is really uncomfortably busy in summer. I am on a campsite at Split which was a bit of a shock coming from the almost empty inland area to find a large and bustling city. There are plenty of places to see from here, especially the islands.
    Likes The laird, Clunegapyears, carol liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Still in Croatia. Came up the coast road from Split. There were very few places where you could pull up just for a brake on the northbound side of the road. That was not the case going south, as they seem to have put plenty of well tarmacked laybys on that side. Most were a bit too exposed to use as overnight stops in a country where wilding is illegal. The places suggested in the apps did not feel safe to me as I am travelling alone. There are also masses of motorbikers, from all the countries around, tearing everywhere as the bendy roads are a bikers paradise. On an ACSI site now to do some washing before going back to Slovenia.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Not updated for a while. Today its cold, wet and windy; so am staying put and catching up on things.
    For me Slovenia is better than Croatia. Croatia, away from the coastal strip, is bleak with very stoney ground, mostly very sparcly inhabited. The Pitivic lakes and Kirka Nationall parks are worth visiting. I preferred Kirka, but that could have been because the weather was better when I visited.
    Slovenia is much more verdant. The place seems cleaner and better cared for. Ljubljana is a pleasantly small capital city. Maribor in the NE of the country has a ski centre on the outskirts of town, which has a Gondola lift to let lazy people (like me) to get wonderful views over the town. The former Mercury mine at Idrija is a different visit opportunity. Slovenian wine is worth discovering. English is spoken everywhere.
    I will be going back into Italy in the next couple of days.
    Likes FringeDweller liked this post
    Thanks winks thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Adria Sonic Supreme
    CDE23A8E-E3F9-4107-8F48-E2C4CEAFC4CA.jpgGood synopsis Meg. We much prefer Slovenia to Croatia. However we had five weeks in Slovenia and the weather was good, which it was not when we were in Croatia.

Andf unny enough, here’s James in his Slovenia T.
    Last edited by Clunegapyears; 06-05-2019 at 12:36.
    Likes Biggarmac liked this post

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information