CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Full timers?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

If you are not honest

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    A claim can (and no doubt) will not be met !

Thus we pay up !

Comfort / Aviva

If do do not pay the usual UK housing expenses (rent/mortgage council tax Services) you are saving a fortune anyway.
    Swings and roundabouts or snakes and ladders..ONLY 1 big snake (insurance) but lots of good ladders...
    EG my council tax would be 150 x 10 (Direct debit) = 1500 more than enough... then there is Water Energy Telephone......
    You would pay anything fro 250 to 500 for insurance anyway.

Yes it was a bit of a shock to me when I first notified my insurance company but now it does not bother or worry me
    Likes horshamjack liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    Not really sure that full timing is actually any cheaper than living in a house really, guess it depends on your vehicle and your lifestyle as we don't camp we live in a motorhome when full timing so it costs .
    I guess if you camp in a camper not ever using sites and being careful with electrical requirements and heating, it could be cheap.
    Those with newish vans also have massive depreciation on their vehicles ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer S700 (1992)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    Not really sure that full timing is actually any cheaper than living in a house really, guess it depends on your vehicle and your lifestyle as we don't camp we live in a motorhome when full timing so it costs .
    I guess if you camp in a camper not ever using sites and being careful with electrical requirements and heating, it could be cheap.
    Those with newish vans also have massive depreciation on their vehicles ?
    I will second that after 6 years of full timing it is no cheaper than living in a house but at least you get a change of view and you aren't bothered about neighbours to much.
    Likes Chainsaw Charlie, rottiontour liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Sure - it's here.
    Thank you for the link and the original post, very useful and very well put together.

Not at all too long every bit of your effort appreciated.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Iveco Daily
    Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    I will second that after 6 years of full timing it is no cheaper than living in a house but at least you get a change of view and you aren't bothered about neighbours to much.
    A couple of months ago I would of vehemently disagreed over a pint of cider and bag of pork scratching.
    However now I'd have to concur after having to buy another van as the 2nd one died. I'm back to just above if I was renting but not by much . I'm full time 11 months
    Likes Chainsaw Charlie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossangel View Post
    A couple of months ago I would of vehemently disagreed over a pint of cider and bag of pork scratching.
    However now I'd have to concur after having to buy another van as the 2nd one died. I'm back to just above if I was renting but not by much . I'm full time 11 months
    It's all relative really as I remember my mortgage being well over 500 a month in the 90's and struggling to pay it then I had a larger mortgage of over 1500 a month and didn't even notice it going !
    I remember the manager at Nationwide telling me that they weren't a pawnshop as I just used to pay any old amount in whenever I felt like it sometimes in arrears and sometimes in credit.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay conversionish stealth camp
    Don't think it costs anywhere near as much for us living in the van than when we were running the UK house. Reckon we were spending 500month in bills which have stopped. Fuel is a cost but it depends on the size and economy of the vehicle. Insurance and breakdown cover for Europe is biggest cost. Paying 75 month for storage of our belongings and about 25 month for phone/ broadband. Gas seems to last much longer than we thought it would. Food similar cost, campsites very occasionally cost a minimal amount as we wildcamp or free Aires. Plus we have money in the bank from the sale, which brings a (small) amount of interest. However we only stay in the van for extended periods as half time in Portugal. Costs there are less than one month's council tax in UK for a year in Portugal, just council tax 19euros year and electricity 70 euros year with free solar and free water. I suppose each individual has to cost it out with their own circumstances in mind. Currently feel we have the best of both worlds!
    Likes hymeractive liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Coach built
    I'm in my 9th year of full timing, a have lost quite a bit of money in changing vans but doesn't every notorhomer do that when they change vans.
    Yes insurance is more expensive and I am truthful with the only company that will do it which is comfort. This winter I am in the UK but used to spend it in Spain when my husband was alive.
    Still sorting out stuff about that but will tour France in the spring.
    It's hard to make relationships when you are truly full timing though as most people I meet are amazed when I say I live in my van.
    I'm retired so don't have the ability to earn money so make it go further when touring France by using the free Aires.
    I can't see myself in bricks and mortar anytime soon until health forces it I guess which I hope is nit for a long time yet.
    Likes hymeractive liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Depreciation of MH and yearly cost analysis

I suggest factoring in Depreciation costs is not appropriate as these would be incurred if just using for holidays/touring
    Yes a an extra amount for depriciation

So here goes Firstly savings
    1 Council Tax 1500 pa
    2 Water rates 500 pa
    3 Telephone internet 12x15 = 180 pa
    4 Gas & Leccy say 1000 pa
    5 Other house expenses maybe 300 pa

Total 3500 pa at least

Costs
    1 Extra insurance 700
    2 Extra Depreciation maybe 500
    3 Extra diesel 600 based on 60% of Total
    4 Extra gas 70 again 60%
    5 Secure storage over the winter 300
    6 Campsites 400 again based on 60%

Thus GT of 2600

OK this is based on our routine where we use the vehicle 100% for 5 or 6 months not a full year

For a full year diesel and gas and campsites would be more but I would save 300 on storage so a net loss of maybe 600

Thus a change from reasonable saving almost 1000 to minimal saving
    So as others have posted Not much in it.

BUT it depends so much on Mileage and Campcosts
    Clearly no point in have a vehicle and "not going out"
    in 5 and a half months last summer we travelled 5000 miles

Previous year Scandinavia we travelled 8000 or so but we had a supper 4 months !.... surely that is the key

You are also saving a vast amount compared with "Normal Holidays"
    eg 2 weeks in Spain for 2 people just costed at 2000 full board...I suggest this figure is "very minimal" other costs will be incurred

Finally
    WE want to use our MH as described above thus we let our house for several reasons
    1 No big bills (only TV licence and house insurance 400 pa)
    2 House occupied
    3 House secure(ish)
    4 Rental income
    5 House appreciating in value

Items 4 and 5 above are "game changers" and I do not include the income or appreciation in my analysis

House rental is not without it's problems
    We have had 4 very good years but as of today (early Dec 2017) we have a problem with both reduces income and causes stress
    However we are sill saving on the house services cost (all items listed earlier).
    Our house agent will deal with all the hassles and of course this will cost !

We expect the problem to be solved by April when we are reasonably confident that normal service (ie income) will return
    Likes Clunegapyears, Ffion, REC, hymeractive liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    citroen relay conversionish stealth camp
    It's an interesting thread...don't think the original poster is interested any more though!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information