CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pep talk needed please.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Hi Lindsay, hope today finds you feeling more cheerful and positive. I can't offer anything practical but suggest you get yourself to a meet as soon as you can. You'll be offered so much support and help there. Good luck.
    Thanks Carol! The kind words of you and everyone else who has replied have cheered me up a bit today. I do need to get to a meet. It's a shame the current one is quite so far away, I can't spare the tank of fuel needed for the distance. If I'm still around, I'm going to try and get to the Hereford one. I'm so impressed that people manage to plan things so far in advance, I don't even know where I'll be tomorrow yet
    Likes carol liked this post

winks is online now Full Member
    Name: Harold
    Spouse: Roseann

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750 (The Behemoth)
    Good thinking Lindsay, the Hereford meet is well attended and you will definitely get swamped with offers of help from the rest of the reprobates present.

This forum is something special when it comes to assistance. Two members, couple of years ago, even made the trip to Greece to assist in the recovery of a van and successfully nursed it home. Carol has had help after an accident in France and the instances of the WC ''Pony Express'' getting things moved around the country, and in the case of some refillable Gas bottle I sold, across the Irish Sea.

Get it watertight and try to make your way to Hereford and you will receive help with your problems. Oh and a crash course in liver destruction.

Cheers

H
    Likes channa, carol, delicagirl, maja07, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    You just need some one who can site down and explain electrics on a simple need to know basis,no need to bambozzel you with to much,its not that hard,always think of wire as water pipes flowing water,if there is a crack week bit then it leaks,over time you will pick up on things,good luck with van.
    The analogy of water was how I was taught. Multimeters take up little space and can be very useful in identifying problems.

There are some good videos on you tube showing how to use them and what they can be used for,

In fact when you have finished watching, you will wonder how you have got this far in life without one and spend the next fortnight prodding things to see how they work,

Channa
    Likes delicagirl, maja07, RoadTrek Boy liked this post

Member Number
    Lindsay, when people have lost a dog and someone says "are you going to get another one" I usually want to slap them hard and say it wasn't a **** washing machine that packed in. But in your circumstances, since your plans were made with your dog as such an integral part, do you think maybe it would help? Only you will know if you are ready, some people feel sooner; others later but having another being to focus on might help. Sorry if I just became "that person".
    Likes Justjack, carol, Tezza33 liked this post
    Thanks LindsayH thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Not yet. Looking

Don't let it get you down

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayH View Post
    I'm really struggling. I've been full time for getting on for 2 months now. Quit job/career after 15 years so I could travel with my dog who died 2 weeks before I left the flat. I've spent my entire savings that I was hoping to travel for a year on fixing things on the van. Everything I touch breaks and everything I try and fix fails. I'm staying at Mum's for 2 days, just popped out to the van and the fridge isn't working (again) and the roof light is leaking. Quite a lot. This is on top of existing power issues that mean I've been managing without lights or any unnecessary power use for the last 2 weeks. Apart from checking a fuse, I have no idea what to do or much money to throw at it. I'm sorry for moaning, but I'm just so fed up. I have no one I can talk to in the real world about it, they all think I'm an idiot for buying the van in the first place. Maybe they are right.....
    Can someone please just say something nice to me?
    Just remember: You are doing something that most people would give their right arm to do!!
    Drive to spain. It won't matter if the skylight leaks, ther is no rain at this time of year and the sun makes you fell a whole lot better :-)
    Good luck!!!1
    Steve
    Likes delicagirl, maja07 liked this post
    Thanks LindsayH thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    It's really frustrating when one thing after another goes wrong: you are playing whack-a-rat with the problems and it feels you will never win. But if you fix things properly, there really will come a time when you realise that nothing went wrong for ages!
    Fix the leak ASAP. Find out where the leak actually is (may not be where you thought) and sort it - NOT with silicone sealant: that never works in the long run.
    After that, try to prioritise the other issues and if you can, sort each one out properly rather than patching and bodging - unless you like fixing things over and over again!
    By the time you have everything working right, you will have developed expertise in so many areas that future issues won't really be problems.
    Likes delicagirl, winks, carol, Nabsim, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by LindsayH View Post
    I'm just shocked how many things can break in such a short space of time and how expensive it is every time!
    If you ever have to pay someone to fix something, be sure to watch what they do. You then know how to save a fortune by DIY next time. And yes, things can break, but usually they don't. After all, they survived till now!
    Likes delicagirl, LindsayH liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    Good thinking Lindsay, the Hereford meet is well attended and you will definitely get swamped with offers of help from the rest of the reprobates present.

This forum is something special when it comes to assistance. Two members, couple of years ago, even made the trip to Greece to assist in the recovery of a van and successfully nursed it home. Carol has had help after an accident in France and the instances of the WC ''Pony Express'' getting things moved around the country, and in the case of some refillable Gas bottle I sold, across the Irish Sea.

Get it watertight and try to make your way to Hereford and you will receive help with your problems. Oh and a crash course in liver destruction.

Cheers

H
    Thanks Winks :-)
    It's amazing how kind people can be. It does rather restore your faith in human nature a bit doesnt it?
    Hahaha, the last thing I need is any encouragement on that score

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo001 View Post
    Lindsay, when people have lost a dog and someone says "are you going to get another one" I usually want to slap them hard and say it wasn't a **** washing machine that packed in. But in your circumstances, since your plans were made with your dog as such an integral part, do you think maybe it would help? Only you will know if you are ready, some people feel sooner; others later but having another being to focus on might help. Sorry if I just became "that person".

This is so sensitively written, you obviously completely get it. Believe it or not, even when she was dying I had a client ask if I would get another dog! I do agree that everyone feels different and what is right for one person would be very wrong for another. She was the only dog I've ever had (after 10 or 12 fosters). Right from day 1 we were totally inseparable and were only apart for a few days in 13 years. At the moment I'm firmly in the 'never again' camp but maybe one day.
    Thank you xxx
    Thanks Jo001 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    The analogy of water was how I was taught. Multimeters take up little space and can be very useful in identifying problems.

There are some good videos on you tube showing how to use them and what they can be used for,

In fact when you have finished watching, you will wonder how you have got this far in life without one and spend the next fortnight prodding things to see how they work,

Channa
    That sounds like exactly what will happen with me. Obsessively checking every electrical item I can 5 times a day
    Sounds actually quite fun...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information