LPG is almost certainly Calor so costly

How does it fit in with MoHo ing

Permanent address for Driving Licence etc

I suggest 1 mobile home is enough
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    The no need for a permanent mooring (and paying for it even it not used) was a major appeal of the idea. And no need to pay council tax (could have an official residence specifed at a family members house perfectly legitimately I am sure).

The OH doesn't seem to like the idea anyway (but does still appeal to me even if a - potential low cost mooring address, like a mailing address type thing? - is needed. Maybe just be me and the cat ! )
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara

Member Number
    If you have a few hours to spare you may find this helpful.

Cruising The Cut – Travels of a liveaboard narrowboater

He has also built his own camper.

Vandemonium – A middle-aged man's attempt to make a DIY campervan

I found both informative and entertaining.
    Thanks wildebus, Geraldine thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynogwy View Post
    If you have a few hours to spare you may find this helpful.

Cruising The Cut Travels of a liveaboard narrowboater

He has also built his own camper.

Vandemonium A middle-aged man's attempt to make a DIY campervan

I found both informative and entertaining.
    I started watching the cruising the cut videos on YouTube after I posted this thread in fact. And yes, agree. Informative and entertaining . Started from the first video (I think) and on #5 now!

Not seen the Campervan ones though.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    The best canal forum I think is Forums - Canal World lots to read there.
    2CV
    Likes N/A liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None

Costs

Last time I looked the annual cost for a continuous cruising license was about 800 or 900 for a boat of around 50-60 ft, which is the most popular size for living aboard.
    You have to add a couple of hundred a year for insurance, and the possible costs incurred by renewing your boat safety certificate every 4 years (I think).
    And they recommend you repaint the lower part of the boat (with blacking paint) every 2 or 3 years, and that can cost over 1000 a time. Plus odd things will break that are usually more costly to fix than their domestic equivalents.

You don't need to have a home mooring, but if you don't have one, the CRT rule is that you must move your boat every 14 days as a minimum (which seems to be more of a challenge in winter). I think the idea behind that rule was to prevent selfish people from stopping permanently and effectively blocking access to the most popular mooring spots.

There used to be rules about how far you had to move after the 14 day stopping period, and how soon you could return to your original place, but I think maybe they are less rigid in recent years. Certainly thousands of people live aboard on the London canals based on continuous cruising licences, and never move more than 20 miles

You are allowed to moor almost anywhere on the towpath side of the canal within the CRT managed waterways (there are some others), although the popular spots will have limits of a day or two max, and some even less.
    But what appeals to me is the freedom to find a nice quiet spot in a quiet rural location and just park up there for a couple of weeks, completely free from any kind of challenge from parking wardens, local busybodies, or whatever.
    My one reservation about motorhome wild camping is how I would cope with a nagging feeling that wherever I am parked, I am basically on a ticking clock and will have to move on in a day or two (and maybe even sooner), to avoid hassle or problems.

There does seem to be a very sad mindset in this country that people traveling in motorhomes or vans can't be tolerated in one place for very long, and must be moved on, regardless of whether they are causing an obstruction or nuisance.

On a boat you are free from that feeling (which may not bother many people anyway to be fair), and it is the main reason why- when I retire in a few years) - I will try living in a narrowboat in preference to a motorhome, at least to start with.
    Likes Harleyboygaz3 liked this post
    Thanks wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hi Tony,
    useful info on the costs there.

Ref the general 'vibe' of your reply ... it is pretty much in line with what I was thinking and wanting to do Cheers

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self build
    Best advice is to have a walk along the cut and talk to boaters (not hire boaters) and you should get a variety of opinions from folk who are actually doing it.
    Likes wildebus, N/A, Tezza33, molly 2 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    From my as-yet limited research, the following appears to be the general rules:
    • That a CRT means moving every 14 days to a new location and not returning to the old one within around 3 month and this is generally enforced.
    • However if you have a base mooring, you don't actually ever have to use it, but it means that you can, if you so wish, bounce between two locations every 14 days (seems to be a loophole and of course we know what happens to loopholes after a time!)

I am planning to go to Falkirk to meet a friend who will be up there in the next week or so. I believe at the Falkirk Wheel there is a canal boat rental company so will have a nose around their boats to get a better feeling about the whole idea. (What made me think of this is visited family end of July and went to see friend of Sisters who lives in a Widebeam full-time and loves it, and wandering around the boat I could see why. Thinking Narrowboat over widebeam as able to cruise around with much more flexibility but will the narrowness be just too much?)

Member Number
    Depends very much on the layout....
    Some can be like living in a corridor.... Others are a lot more open.
    Depends on style too.... Cruiser/tug/trad etc etc
    Generally for live aboard I'd avoid cruiser style as they tend to have large open rear decks which is wasted space.

Bear in mind over a certain length you'll be restricted by some locks.... 71ft is usual max length but won't be able to cruise the whole system.

58'6 is generally regarded as max length for most....
    60ft for the bulk of it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information