CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Motorhomes but Narrowboats

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus

Not Motorhomes but Narrowboats

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I am toying with the idea of getting a Narrowboat to 'do up' and become a liveaboard. I believe quite a few folk on this forum have lived in Narrowboats? So would be interested in any pointers, tips, "Don't do it!", or " Do it!" comments.
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara
    Likes Geraldine liked this post

Member Number
    The 10 years or so I spent living on the 'cut' were possibly 10 of the best years I spent living anywhere....
    You end up being very in tune with the changes of the seasons etc and I certainly appreciated them far more than when living in bricks and mortar.
    That said I was lucky to find free residential moorings in return for general maintainance and had a very nice quiet spot in the Macclesfield canal.
    Back then it was a cheap way of living despite BWB (now canal and river trust) however its more expensive and involved now with mooring fees/boat licence/insurance etc etc and no doubt other ways that the canal and river trust have come up with to get money out of boaters.
    Mobile phones/solar/mobile Internet etc all probably make things far more 'civilised' now too no doubt.
    Thanks wildebus, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Chic C-Line 4.9
    Good friend of mine lives on one and has done for about 10 years, he loves it.
    Thanks wildebus, Geraldine thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    I am toying with the idea of getting a Narrowboat to 'do up' and become a liveaboard. I believe quite a few folk on this forum have lived in Narrowboats? So would be interested in any pointers, tips, "Don't do it!", or " Do it!" comments.
    I would not consider it unless you can afford and get a permanent mooring on a marina.

Other wise your going to have to keep on moving from point A to B to C to D not just backwards and forwards, you can't do that.

That's summer and winter
    Last edited by harrow; 11-09-2018 at 18:35.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post
    Thanks Geraldine thanked for this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    I would not consider it unless you can afford and get a permanent mooring on a marina.

Other wise your going to have to keep on moving from point A to B to C to D not just backwards and forwards, you can't do that.

That's summer and winter
    AFAIK and unless things have changed recently... Canal and river trust no longer issue 'continuously cruising' licences...
    So having a home mooring is now compulsory rather than being able to just trundle around the network without having any permanant berth anywhere as in years gone by.

Great shame really as time has gone on BWB and then C and RT have turned it more and more into a business...
    Mainly built on the hard work and efforts of volunteers like the WRG etc etc...
    Likes N/A, molly 2 liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    MAN 7.5T
    I looked at narrow boats a few years ago,the whole lifestyle didn't seem particularly cheap but what put me off the most was all the rules and regs,I'd imagine Europe would be better in all ways,not least of all having a wider house,and a far bigger network to explore.
    Sent From My Cheap Mobile Using Tapafatfinger.
    Likes Debs liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self build
    We lived on one for several years and the main thing in your decision making is are you going to cruise or be permanently/semi permanently moored.
    They are completely different options as far as costs, crew etc go.

Solo cruising is possible, but you need to be fairly fit; while having crew makes travelling a lot easier one member needs to be fit and able.

Marina moorings are expensive - mooring bankside can be cheaper, but in winter it can be a muddy job.

As a lifestyle it can be very enjoyable, seeing places you don't see by road and chatting to folk along the way.

We used to cruise the summer months then leave the boat in a marina and take the van to Spain/Portugal for the winter.
    Thanks wildebus, Geraldine, peter palance thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    AFAIK and unless things have changed recently... Canal and river trust no longer issue 'continuously cruising' licences...
    So having a home mooring is now compulsory rather than being able to just trundle around the network without having any permanant berth anywhere as in years gone by.

Great shame really as time has gone on BWB and then C and RT have turned it more and more into a business...
    Mainly built on the hard work and efforts of volunteers like the WRG etc etc...
    I haven't done any research TBH but I had assumed you could travel around the network and moor on a canal side in a similar way to wildcamping in a van. Sounds not
    Fed up with the Whingers and Moaners. PMs Turned Off. Sayonara

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Self build
    I haven't done any research TBH but I had assumed you could travel around the network and moor on a canal side in a similar way to wildcamping in a van. Sounds not
    Based on the regs when we were cruising, you can do exactly that, with a proviso that you move after 14 days, or sooner if there is restricted mooring time, i.e. towns, popular moorings etc.

A point to bear in mind is that the winter months are when a lot of repair work is carried out on locks, bridges etc. and you can get stuck in one place for several days, so essential that you carry lots of water, diesel, fuel ......................

Talking to friends who are still liveaboards, it seems a lot are not happy with the way their licence fees are being used. The spending seems to favour walkers and cyclists and less money is being spent on the upkeep of the boaters needs like dredging and lock/bridge maintenance.
    Likes kingfisher1 liked this post
    Thanks Geraldine, wildebus thanked for this post

Member Number
    (unless things have changed recently) You can travel around as, much as you like BUT must have a home mooring....
    Things used to be a lot cheaper when you could apply for a continuous cruising licence as it meant no mooring fees....
    But BWB abolished that and unless C RT have changed it again (unlikely if it makes it cheaper for folks) then continuous cruising without a home mooring is but a happy memory.

Seems I need to eat my words.....
    They HAVE reinstated continuous cruising licences.... At what cost I don't know....

Continuous cruising | Canal & River Trust
    Last edited by mistericeman; 11-09-2018 at 19:31.
    Likes Edina liked this post
    Thanks Geraldine, wildebus, peter palance, Wee-z thanked for this post

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information