CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autoroute 2010 GPS

Member Number

Autoroute 2010 GPS

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hello
    Thinking of buying Autoroute 2010 with the GPS dongle for use with my netbook (Samsung N210)
    Anyone had any experience with this programme.

Cheers

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 100
    No experience of 2010 Autoroute but I did use 2006 with a GPS dongle. The weather was really thick fog and I was up in the wilds of Norfolk - real Tiger country. It worked perfectly.
    The only thing that was difficult was having the laptop open and having to glance down at it every so often.

Member Number
    Yes.
    Also - look on my site - I have loads of GPS databases (LPG & Aires etc in Europe).
    Autoroute 2010 will work fine on a netbook - we have it on a Samsung NC10.

The GPS is fine - but IMO a real "tomtom" is better. That said, Autoroute will work, and we use it extensively for pre-planning and recording rather than navigation.

I've got links for Autoroute on my site - and the official GPS version is more pricey. If you aren;'t sure about GPS get the non GPS one, and also if you are a bit techie and like playing, then its cheaper to buy autoroute and an eBay bluetooth GPS (assuming your netbook has bluetooth) - or buy a USB bluetooth dongle.

Of for an easy life - buy the one with GPS

Our GPS database links (in Autoroute format: GPS POIs Hosted by us )
    Full details of our 1000+ nights away in the van in Europe, Morocco as well as backpacking in Asia, with hints/tips/costs and GPS POIs see our blog at Do Your Dream!

Nosha Guest
    I've used Autoroute in its many forms for years on an IBM notepad with a Garmin USB 'mouse' that work perfectly!!!

My only concern is would a dongle pick up a signal in the middle of the cab compared with my mouse on the dashboard pressed against the windscreen???

I'm sure if you ask around you could borrow a backup/copy of A/R and buy a dongle/mouse for a lot less than the retail package.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Knaus SunTi
    As I recall the older versions had a very slow refresh rate ie the only update your position every 10 - 15 secs.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika Ecovip 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
    As I recall the older versions had a very slow refresh rate ie the only update your position every 10 - 15 secs.
    I don't remember it being quite that bad

===

I got my GPS mouse type thingy off eBay for about 20. IIRC, it has to be an NMEA compliant GPS

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes 814DA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastodon View Post
    Yes, however there was a hack which enabled you to set your own refresh period.

AndyC

Nosha Guest
    Before AR 2007 it didn't have GPS capability! I was given a 'back up' copy of a friends 2010 but have never bothered to install it, are there any improvements since 2007??

I'm sure there's not many road improvements/new roads/changes in just 3yrs... or are there??

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Autostratus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosha View Post
    Before AR 2007 it didn't have GPS capability! I was given a 'back up' copy of a friends 2010 but have never bothered to install it, are there any improvements since 2007??

I'm sure there's not many road improvements/new roads/changes in just 3yrs... or are there??
    I think you'll find there has been GPS support for a long time in Autoroute, and I'm sure before 2007 ... The connection to the GPS device had to be made through an RS232 (serial) connection. Such connections are not found on most modern PCs/laptops.

There are probably more updates to roads than you realise - that said I have a TomTom Go 910 which is now quite elderly, and I've never updated the maps.

The only occasions I can think of where it's become confused is when driving along a non-existent (to the TomTom) bypass ...

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by Canalsman; 26-01-2011 at 19:26.

Bigmerc Guest
    I have used this in a truck with a GPS dongle worked well as i had all the low bridges on it as well. the only problem is having on the dash in a truck i got pulled by the plod they thought i was watching a DVD as a netbook is about the same size. so i bought a proper sat nav a Pronav PNN300 it alot faster and i can program the size of the truck into it so avoids bridges and weight limited roads etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information