CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12V laptop charger

DRoader Guest

12V laptop charger

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi can anyone recommend a solid 12V laptop charger. I'm looking to charge up my laptop while on the move using the vehicle battery, but importantly I want to be able to charge it from the leisure battery while static and wildcamping if need be. Any suggestions?

sean rua Guest
    Until you get an answer, Droader,
    all I can suggest is typing in "12volt charger" into the "Search" box top right and I fully expect there to be dozens of threads on the topic.

sean rua

BwB Guest
    Both Maplin and Rapid Electronics sell devices which will do this for you. Check the wattage on the charger is at least the same as your 240v charger.

Prices from 20(ish) upwards. My local Maplins keep these in stock in the shop. Take your lappy with you to make sure one of the set of connectors fits (they come with several).

I've been using one for years and they work fine even for extended use.
    Likes N/A liked this post

Techno100 Guest
    What laptop and how many watts? look on the back of your 230volt charger!

Member Number
    Hi

We recommend a universal gizmo - see Universal Power Adaptor for Notebook 120W - DC Car: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

For more info as to why I recommend this, and things you need to condsider, and as I've been asked a few times of recent, see Which 12v charger for laptop in the motorhome?

Hope this answers your question!
    Full details of our 1000+ nights away in the van in Europe, Morocco as well as backpacking in Asia, with hints/tips/costs and GPS POIs see our blog at Do Your Dream!
    Likes N/A liked this post

DRoader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BwB View Post
    Both Maplin and Rapid Electronics sell devices which will do this for you. Check the wattage on the charger is at least the same as your 240v charger.

Prices from 20(ish) upwards. My local Maplins keep these in stock in the shop. Take your lappy with you to make sure one of the set of connectors fits (they come with several).

I've been using one for years and they work fine even for extended use.
    Thanks this is what I was hoping for. Next time I'm near a Maplins I'll pop in.

DRoader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno100 View Post
    What laptop and how many watts? look on the back of your 230volt charger!
    hp and it says 65W which on reflection seems quite low to me. I'm sure my previous laptop was closer to 90W. Not complaining though.

DRoader Guest
    Thanks I'll have a read of your webpage later

Quote Originally Posted by activecampers View Post
    Hi

We recommend a universal gizmo - see Universal Power Adaptor for Notebook 120W - DC Car: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

For more info as to why I recommend this, and things you need to condsider, and as I've been asked a few times of recent, see Which 12v charger for laptop in the motorhome?

Hope this answers your question!

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by DRoader View Post
    hp and it says 65W which on reflection seems quite low to me. I'm sure my previous laptop was closer to 90W. Not complaining though.
    65W is normal ish. Ours range from 45W to 120W You can get an 80W charger similar to the one I mentioned, but personally, I'd still say get 120W one - I'd prefer one running at 50% power than 75% power - as the closer they get to their threshholds the hotter they get and the less efficient. (no power is wasted by buying a bigger capacity unit).
    Full details of our 1000+ nights away in the van in Europe, Morocco as well as backpacking in Asia, with hints/tips/costs and GPS POIs see our blog at Do Your Dream!

Techno100 Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information