Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warning about A-Frame towing

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Please explain
    An A frame combo works by having steering, this is achieved by have sideways forces applied to the front axle, the steering reacts by turning. This will not happen, or worse still work in reverse if towed backwards.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I never knew that. So it wouldn't work like a four wheel trailer then?
    No the axles are much too far apart, even a conventional two axle trailer with axles close together places much more load on the tow hitch than a single axle.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer 584 Classic
    I never knew that. So it wouldn't work like a four wheel trailer then?
    If you look at farm trailers the front axle/wheels are part of the A frame so turn with that.
    I am pleased I made my own A frame at least I know it is safe

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto Trail Comanche
    The system I have on my Citreon C1 was fitted by TowBars2TowCars of Grimsby and they offer a bi-annual check on their systems ,and after speaking to them today like mine they have not had any failures of any kind . I just feel that bit safer having it checked at regular intervals .

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto Trail Comanche

Sorry thats my spelling for you it should have said biennial which is of course every 2 years
    Last edited by grandadbaza; 13-07-2015 at 19:43.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    The basic problem with A frames is that they have to attach to the front of the car in a strong way.

The fronts of cars are designed to be not strong so they will crumple in an accident, protecting the occupants and any pedestrians.

So if the A Frame is attached without reinforcement, it may risk the front of the car coming apart.

If the A Frame is attached with reinforcement, you have reduced the protection offered by the crumple zone - and that's most significant on a small car: they're the ones with least crumple zone in the first place!

Either way, it certainly is something you should tell your insurers about, because it substantially alters the risk.

As you may gather, I don't think A Frame towing is a good idea, except in cases of breakdowns. Almost all recovery firms use spectacle lifts or spectacle trailers, not A frames, if they don't carry the vehicle on a flat bed.

I think they're called "dolly" - this is the sort of thing I mean: Towing Dolly trailer /car Recovery every thing there heavy duty all ready to use | eBay
    Last edited by hairydog; 13-08-2016 at 13:06.

Member Number
    the situation is probably not helped by the amounts of shock loading applied under even normal towing conditions...
    manufacturers spend many hours and heaps, of money designing and then testing to destruction their vehicles structures... however I'm pretty certain after market A frames don't even cross their minds.

I've never liked the idea of a frames other than for emergency useage.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by tezza33 View Post
    If you look at farm trailers the front axle/wheels are part of the A frame so turn with that.
    I am pleased I made my own A frame at least I know it is safe
    But possibly not Legal as not type approved marking CE marks

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Wonder what the manufacturers would say if they told them what they were doing. How can you asses what is going on in a monocoque construction if all you do is look for what you think is a strong bit and weld / bolt chunks of metal to it. I found a YouTube video of one being fitted. One side was ( Ok ) because they were using the towing eye but they had to construct another towing eye support for the other side. Lot of strain on this part of the vehicle and forcing the vehicle to turn by pulling it must also put a tremendous strain on all the front body panels. With more and more MH's being purchased more and more are going to want to tow a vehicle. They will all be looking for the cheapest solution as they have just blown all their cash on the main part.

Someone on the Caravan and Motorhome Club Forum wanted to know the etiquettes for arriving on site towing a car

Hate to think how much type approval would cost. Can you imaging fastening a car to the back of a MH and driving it into a concrete block at 50 mph to see what happens. That would certainly test the A Frame. If it failed you would be in a really bad place.

Last edited by QFour; 23-02-2017 at 16:26.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto Trail Dakota 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by QFour View Post
    Wonder what the manufacturers would say if they told them what they were doing. How can you asses what is going on in a monocoque construction if all you do is look for what you think is a strong bit and weld / bolt chunks of metal to it. I found a YouTube video of one being fitted. One side was ( Ok ) because they were using the towing eye but they had to construct another towing eye support for the other side. Lot of strain on this part of the vehicle and forcing the vehicle to turn by pulling it must also put a tremendous strain on all the front body panels. With more and more MH's being purchased more and more are going to want to tow a vehicle. They will all be looking for the cheapest solution as they have just blown all their cash on the main part.

Someone on the Caravan and Motorhome Club Forum wanted to know the etiquettes for arriving on site towing a car

Hate to think how much type approval would cost. Can you imaging fastening a car to the back of a MH and driving it into a concrete block at 50 mph to see what happens. That would certainly test the A Frame. If it failed you would be in a really bad place.

Easy answer to the problem .............. IF YOU WANT TO TOW GET A CARAVAN
    Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, cool buzzing, high talking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing...........Cant remember
    Likes hairydog, trevskoda liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information