CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: buying a van advice

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by 4inavan View Post
    There's a van thats come up for sale on eBay, not sure if allowed or should post it up on here to get some advice, I am not experienced in buying campers and questions to ask but have bought a book off amazon with a pretty comprehensive list-

"Go Motorhoming and Campervanning: The Motorhome and Campervan Bible" is the name of it.

If I am allowed to post the link let me know and I will. We are planning to wildcamp for a year, family of 4. Van looks decent and has as far as I can tell all we need.

hope to hear from you motorhome heads!
    Hi ya,
    Lovely looking Van, Looks in Fantastic condition too !.
    BUT
    Can I just say that if a Family of 4 are going to be wildcamping for a Year or so, Maybe something of a different style of vehicle might be better for your collective needs as a Family.
    Think it Through and Get the right Vehicle to Meet your needs as apposed to making do with a vehicle !.
    You can buy something like mine for 17K ish.
    Likes - Edina liked this post

Member Number:
    Maidenhead (summer) and Thailand (winter)
    Prize Draw Entries

Nesting Zombie makes a valid point

In winter..
    You might have to stay in the vehicle for a few days
    So more space is needed.
    You might not need a twin axle
    Under 3.5 ton should be OK but think about it

You may have to pay more NOW
    But you will enjoy more AND get a better re-sale value

WE are only 2 but I would not want anything smaller
    6.5 m "Full width" Good heating etc etc Maybe £18,000
    Shop around go to a dealer ..if not to buy but to see what is available for you and suits !

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Alternative?
    I donít know how you feel about converting a van yourself, but you would end up with what you want, rather than a compromise. If itís of any help we bought a 2009 Renault Master LWB ambulance with 103k on the clock and converted it for two of us - vehicle cost £4,500 and about the same on the conversion. There is a lot of good help and advice on this forum if you decide to have a go and itís not as daunting as some people think, quite satisfying in fact to see it taking shape.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Likes - Robmac liked this post

Member Number:
    Maidenhead (summer) and Thailand (winter)
    Prize Draw Entries

Lightbulb Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    Alternative?
    I donít know how you feel about converting a van yourself, but you would end up with what you want, rather than a compromise. If itís of any help we bought a 2009 Renault Master LWB ambulance with 103k on the clock and converted it for two of us - vehicle cost £4,500 and about the same on the conversion. There is a lot of good help and advice on this forum if you decide to have a go and itís not as daunting as some people think, quite satisfying in fact to see it taking shape.
    There are advantages in this
    Provided
    1 you have the DIY skills to do it neatly
    2 you can outsource some items
    3 You can get the electrics and gas checked/certified
    4 YOU HAVE THE TIME

Significant advantages are
    1 you know exactly how everything works
    2 You can insulate as you wish
    3 You can have the heating system you want
    4 You can organise solar and batteries etc to best suit
    5 You can use LED lights
    6 you can decide on a 2 burner or 3 burner hob
    7 Microwave or gas oven
    8 LPG in locker or underslung
    9 BBQ point
    10 12V sockets where you want
    11 Lockers you like
    12 Shower toilet etc to suit

I can say this easily now having used a MH for 6 years NOT EASY if you have not lived in one for an extended period

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    I really wouldn't want to live for more than a weekend in a panel van with three others. I'm sure you could buy a coachbuilt for similar money and with similar mileage, if a little older. Be prepared to negotiate with a dealer.I got 4 grand off a 15 grand van without asking and another 1000 when we started talking. They need the money at this time of year.
    Likes - jagmanx, pamjon, Pauljenny, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jagmanx View Post
    There are advantages in this
    Provided
    1 you have the DIY skills to do it neatly
    2 you can outsource some items
    3 You can get the electrics and gas checked/certified
    4 YOU HAVE THE TIME

Significant advantages are
    1 you know exactly how everything works
    2 You can insulate as you wish
    3 You can have the heating system you want
    4 You can organise solar and batteries etc to best suit
    5 You can use LED lights
    6 you can decide on a 2 burner or 3 burner hob
    7 Microwave or gas oven
    8 LPG in locker or underslung
    9 BBQ point
    10 12V sockets where you want
    11 Lockers you like
    12 Shower toilet etc to suit

I can say this easily now having used a MH for 6 years NOT EASY if you have not lived in one for an extended period
    Very true,
    We've lived in vans and boats for many years and we do know what suits us, but it probably would be nothing like another person's idea of 'perfect'.
    I think the only way to approach either buying or building as a first timer is to make a list of 'essentials' , 'desirables', and 'don't wants' and look at lots and lots of vehicles before deciding. Too easy to buy someone else's idea of the dream layout and then find it doesn't meet your needs.
    Cheers
    Chris
    Likes - Pauljenny liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    I was thinking No matter HOW close you are as a Family when wilding for that year in a smaller Open Plan Vehicle. When the Beds are all made up at Night, Or your Playing a game of Cludo on a Dull, Dark, Windy & Rainy Evening. 3 of You would have to Shuffle to one side, Turn your Backs & Put the Radio up HIGH, Then Don your Blacked out Goggles n Nose & Ear Plugs if one of you Had a POO !. So don't be having a Curry night while your away !
    Last edited by Nesting Zombie; 10-01-2017 at 14:44.
    Likes - jagmanx, trevskoda, voyagerstan liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    As well as all the other Posts, it may be worth considering that Again for the purposes of you actually Enjoying a Family Vehicle, You also need Bigger Water Tanks, Waste Tanks, Storage Capacities, OWN space in the form of at least a seat to Sulk in at times. Area to Cook or Serve up a Meal or Snack & Drinks without having to be Balancing them precariously on Mobile Phones, Game boys & Books that are placed on the only square foot of flat worktop available etc , The chances are that most of this will take Space as well as adding Weight to the vehicle. So again it Kinda points to something a bit bigger with a separate Toilet and Sink/Shower area at the very least, & Even a Bench seat that's kinda separate to the rest encase of a Strop, Illness or quite day is needed by someone in my view.

Things like this can make SUCH a difference.
    Likes - trevskoda liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Looks ok but to me over priced, six grand would be tops but i have seen them here change hands for 4.half up as its old.
    Also single glass windows which will run water unless you have internal screens.
    Chap down street bought a elddis with 45 th 1997 almost mint for 7 & a half grand though it did require some rewiring by me and lamps changed to led.
    As others have said there are other vans so take your time and look around,good luck.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes - Pauljenny liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesting Zombie View Post
    As well as all the other Posts, it may be worth considering that Again for the purposes of you actually Enjoying a Family Vehicle, You also need Bigger Water Tanks, Waste Tanks, Storage Capacities, OWN space in the form of at least a seat to Sulk in at times. Area to Cook or Serve up a Meal or Snack & Drinks without having to be Balancing them precariously on Mobile Phones, Game boys & Books that are placed on the only square foot of flat worktop available etc , The chances are that most of this will take Space as well as adding Weight to the vehicle. So again it Kinda points to something a bit bigger with a separate Toilet and Sink/Shower area at the very least, & Even a Bench seat that's kinda separate to the rest encase of a Strop, Illness or quite day is needed by someone in my view.

Things like this can make SUCH a difference.
    Couldn't agree more with the above. I have a 6m PVC and I love it, but I travel solo most of the time, and when there's two of us it's OK as well, but two adults and two children full time would be a nightmare with all the attendant clobber needed.Proper bathroom is a must if long term travelling.

Also many vans at 3500kg have very little useful payload for four folks.

Not trying to put you off, but would rather you get it right and have a great time out there, not make a mistake and be miserable.

Layout and payload are king.

Cheers, Korky.
    Likes - trevskoda, 1 Cup liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information