CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyt View Post
    hi
    just a update on this thread. i have been on the phone to adverc battery
    products they are the uk agent. they said it will have 240v in and 240v out
    and wired in it senses the mains hook up and automatically protects
    itself. like full timer said.

thanks for advice.
    That's a good feature to have on an inverter,you don't want 2 conflicting mains supplies feeding the same sockets,it could easily go up in smoke.I have a 1500watt inverter that feeds 3 separate sockets(to the standard factory fitted ones in the van)that I have fitted so there is no chance of any conflict between the 2 circuits.If on hook up I can also manually change over the supply to the aforementioned sockets by taking the mains plug out of the inverter and plugging it into a mains socket I have fitted near the inverter.

Some people use a relay changeover system whereby a relay is operated when the motorhome is on ehu which isolates the outgoing supply from the inverter,I may get round to doing it one day.
    cheers,Steve
    Likes - Alf, eddyt liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by wakk44 View Post
    That's a good feature to have on an inverter,you don't want 2 conflicting mains supplies feeding the same sockets,it could easily go up in smoke.I have a 1500watt inverter that feeds 3 separate sockets(to the standard factory fitted ones in the van)that I have fitted so there is no chance of any conflict between the 2 circuits.If on hook up I can also manually change over the supply to the aforementioned sockets by taking the mains plug out of the inverter and plugging it into a mains socket I have fitted near the inverter.

Some people use a relay changeover system whereby a relay is operated when the motorhome is on ehu which isolates the outgoing supply from the inverter,I may get round to doing it one day.
    Same as I've done ....double socket fed by mains hook up lead when plugged in,in storage cupboard where batteries/electrics etc are
    sockets in the habitation have a 13a plug on that either plugs into hook up socket OR inverter ....

Fairly simple and hopefully me proof lol

Member Number:
    Maidenhead (summer) and Thailand (winter)

Thumbs up Yes !

As the last 2 posts have suggested
    Why make life complicated etc.
    Have 2 circuits or even better simply plug the appliance which needs the power from the inverter directly into the inverter
    And it the engine is not running set the timer on your phone to remind you not to run the inverter for too long on LB

Member Number:
    We had the need for high rating inverter to power hair dryer and straightners on an occasional basis.
    We copied this setup and it works for fine for us.
    Hairdryer from 12v in a Motorhome - The Solution! | Europe By Camper - Travelling Europe By Motorhome
    Last edited by topefisher; 11-01-2017 at 20:09.

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by wakk44 View Post

Thats exactly the way I have mine, no confusion and no mishaps, far easier than wiring up to the EHU input, and if you try to switch on the microwave when on hookup and it dont work, you know you have to swop plugs, and viceversa, far safer. My B2B charger charges the 4x 110Ah batteries which run the 2KW inverter, which runs everything else including hair dryers, toasters, sky box, tv, ect,
    apart from the fridge, the freezer, the heating, and the LED lighting, my van leasure batt only feeds the LED lights, water pump and the heating fan, I did think about wiring it direct to start with, but had a thought, what if someone switched on the small fan heater we have, and you would need isolating switches for freezer ect, too complicated.

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by QFour View Post
    That could really be asking for one big BANG .. Especially if you have the mains power and the inverter on together. They will probably come on out of phase and anything could happen. It's the sort of thing that gets done and everyone knows about it except when someone forgets or the van has been sold ...

The inverter should be wired to the battery with thick cable ( Short as Possible ) and a decent size fuse. The wire from your inverter to the 13 amp socket/s can be ordinary 13 amp 3 core cable. Keep the two circuits TOTALLY SEPARATE ..
    Couldn't agree more. Just to confuse myself I wired my hookup to a pukka mcb unit with it's own outlet that covers the offside of the van and the inverter covers the sockets on the nearside. No doubt they could be running out of phase if both on but I'm still here to tell the tale ;-)
    Just love driving around the UK in my stealth camper!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information