CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motor home

Storage

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    We store our m/h at a farm in storage field it's damp and shaded. We have got a breathable cover this year, and when we got the van out this week the internal doors and cupboards had a covering of mould due to damp poor ciculation. Anyone got any ideas on how to reduce this from happening.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    Try to use it a bit more over laid up period

Alf

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    We store our m/h at a farm in storage field it's damp and shaded. We have got a breathable cover this year, and when we got the van out this week the internal doors and cupboards had a covering of mould due to damp poor ciculation. Anyone got any ideas on how to reduce this from happening.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner Delphin Performance T821
    The best thing is to do as Alf says and give it a run out now and again.

The cover only keeps the muck off and possibly makes the problem of mould a little worse. Today has been milder with some sunshine here (after a week or more of cold, dank, dismal weather). I opened the rooflights and a few windows to get some fresh air through the van ...... that's the advantage of home storage. If it is not too far to travel, even doing that for a couple of hours now and again should help.
    At any given moment, the urge to sing "The Lion sleeps tonight" is only a whim away.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Or

Go for indoor storage !

Yes it costs more but far less wear & tear etc so depreciation costs

Or invest in a low wattage heater if Leccy available .. again cost.

We used a "roof cover" and this was ok.

Unfortunately taking any cover off just to give the vehicle a run out is a pain
    And putting the cover back on if the vehicle is wet is not a good idea.

Look for somewhere where there is better air circulation. Then the other posts will work !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Motorhome (aka The Nest)
    Hi ya,
    You could try AFTER fitting the cover, Open ALL hatches & Vents internally, & if possible Crack a window open For & Aft, Drain Grey water Tank But leave the Dump valve open So air can flow as freely as possible Throughout the Vehicle. Leave ALL cupboard Doors & Draws Slightly open, Then Inspect and air it Once a week BUT better off actually using it or at least give it a run.
    Good Luck

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    No point having a expensive van and then sticking it in a field to rot,use it at week ends ,and how do you keep batterys charged in a farm field,is there a power cable for this or do you take them home and float charge them.
    As others say part open windows and lockers plus take all soft bedding etc home.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    If this is the first time it has happened and you only got the cover this year I would stop using the cover. Even though the cover is breathable it will slow the natural air circulation through your van, which is bad when it is already stood in a damp shady place. It will not be doing the underneath of the van any favours either. As others have said open doors and cupboards and make sure your floor ventilation under seats and lockers are clear just crack open skylights if you can to get a flow of air through your van.
    Its easier to wash and clean the outside of the van than it is to get rid of mould on the inside. Ask the storage place if there is somewhere drier and more open than where it is now.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Stop using the cover, leave enough windows slightly open so that air can blow through. The mould is caused by warm damp air carrying moisture in, then it condenses in the cooler interior of the van (cover blocks the sun) and it can't blow away.

Not sure why people use covers. Theyre such a hassle to put on, specially when it is windy. What do you see as the advantage of a cover?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Two different types of Cover

Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    Stop using the cover, leave enough windows slightly open so that air can blow through. The mould is caused by warm damp air carrying moisture in, then it condenses in the cooler interior of the van (cover blocks the sun) and it can't blow away.

Not sure why people use covers. Theyre such a hassle to put on, specially when it is windy. What do you see as the advantage of a cover?
    1 a full cover which also covers the sidewalls rear and front... NOT recommended by me for the reasons posted.
    2 a Roof cover which iis a bit like a hat and only extends 6in to a foot on the side walls and similar but a touch more on the rear and front.

I used to used one of these.
    It allows all windows to be fully opened and habitation door fully accessible
    I paid about 75 and used it for 4 years. A minor hasslel to put on..

We stopped using it as
    1 We had a solar panel fitted (Panel and cover do not mix !)
    2 Our usage profile changed eenormously.
    Originally whilst I was working we kept the vehicle on the drive so weekly/monthly "maintenance" was easy (with or without cover) and we used it for "holidays" max 3 weeks and 1 week a year not many weekends.

Now we use it 100% from April 1 to Sept 30 so cover no go
    In the winter we use secure dry indoor storage under a perspex type roof again a cover would conflict with solar but perspex roof means that solar still works.
    OK so we have the other disadvantages eg tyre flat spots and the like...but as we go abroad for the winter this is our best option.

Regarding tyres I buy good but inexpensive tyres we do at least 6K a year so replacing tyres before sidewall degradation takes place works as there will be little tread "wasted".

I appreciate this suits us and maybe not suitable to others

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Can anyone list the advantages of using a cover? I can list half a dozen disadvantages, but no real benefits.

I just can't see the reasons for using one. But there must be some, surely.

I bought one for my previous motorhome, because other people had them. It was a pain and served no useful function as far as I could see. What was I missing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information