CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Old FIAT Ducatos

Member Number:

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronic View Post
    Pure copper for brake lines is prohibited in many countries, for safety reasons.
    Hope in a serious brake failure prang that your insurer may not notice!
    yes copper is banned in places and frankly i never used it ,the pipe that is most commonly used for replacement pipes is called or was called cunnifer ,a mixture of copper and another metal ,just forget what it is now ,but many seem to call that copper brake pipe .bends and shapes dead easy .
    in the process of hunting for another tin shed on wheels
    Likes - Byronic liked this post

Member Number:
    Just looked at roll in w/shop ,it is in fact kuni but i have the correct h/duty tools to work with it.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes - Fazerloz liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Just looked at roll in w/shop ,it is in fact kuni but i have the correct h/duty tools to work with it.
    it will be ,doubt very much copper pipe has the qualities for brake piping ,the pressures are rather high ,and the copper type pipe isent up to it .
    in the process of hunting for another tin shed on wheels
    Likes - trevskoda liked this post

Member Number:
    I was a little surprised when you said you use copper .

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    I was a little surprised when you said you use copper .
    Ditto.

Member Number:
    Near Pontivy, France Hymer FIAT 1.9 TD '92
    cu ni fer

I presume that is an abbreviation of cuprum (old Latin for copper) nickel and ferrum (Latin for iron).

My Hymer came to me with two of the brake pipes leading from the master cylinder, made of copper. All the others were the original steel. Those copper pipes will have been in place for ten years and they are still sound. I had to cut the end of one and make a new flare on it with a new fitting. Before doing that I annealed the end of the pipe with a gas torch. So it is now in good condition. I also annealed the flare after making it so that will have negated the hardness caused by working it. No reason not to do that for all the other flares, which I will do.

I have now bent one of the rear pipes, which has numerous bends in it, and will complete the other one tomorrow. The new master cylinder is now fitted, as are the wheel cylinders.

I imagine many other things will lead to bigger issues over the next ten years life of the new copper pipe.

Theory is all very well, but reality is often less of a problem than imagined.
    David
    Central Brittany (Morbihan), France.
    Likes - mistericeman, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintonian View Post
    cu ni fer

I presume that is an abbreviation of cuprum (old Latin for copper) nickel and ferrum (Latin for iron).

My Hymer came to me with two of the brake pipes leading from the master cylinder, made of copper. All the others were the original steel. Those copper pipes will have been in place for ten years and they are still sound. I had to cut the end of one and make a new flare on it with a new fitting. Before doing that I annealed the end of the pipe with a gas torch. So it is now in good condition. I also annealed the flare after making it so that will have negated the hardness caused by working it. No reason not to do that for all the other flares, which I will do.

I have now bent one of the rear pipes, which has numerous bends in it, and will complete the other one tomorrow. The new master cylinder is now fitted, as are the wheel cylinders.

I imagine many other things will lead to bigger issues over the next ten years life of the new copper pipe.

Theory is all very well, but reality is often less of a problem than imagined.
    You mean that you have carried on fitting copper after all ......

Good god man it'll work harden and fall to bits you know ;-)
    Likes - Wintonian liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    You mean that you have carried on fitting copper after all ......

Good god man it'll work harden and fall to bits you know ;-)
    Think you will find its kuni ,just folk call it copper as it looks a bit like it,think the shops call it copper to.
    Anyway if you asked the ones in shops for kunifer you would prob end up being sold a xmas tree.
    Last edited by trevskoda; 17-02-2017 at 19:26.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes - mandrake liked this post

Member Number:
    Near Pontivy, France Hymer FIAT 1.9 TD '92
    Think you will find its kuni ,just folk call it copper as it looks a bit like it,think the shops call it copper to.
    No, Trev. It is copper. See my earlier post about cunifer (I think that Kunifer is a trade name for the alloy tube). Cunifer is the generic term. Cunifer alloy is a different colour.
    David
    Central Brittany (Morbihan), France.
    Likes - trevskoda liked this post

Member Number:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintonian View Post
    No, Trev. It is copper. See my earlier post about cunifer (I think that Kunifer is a trade name for the alloy tube). Cunifer is the generic term. Cunifer alloy is a different colour.
    Had a look at my stuff and it is a different colour than copper ,more like a speckled satin with a very thick wall, i have been using it for years and never a problem.
    Only dirty people wash

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information