CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old FIAT Ducatos

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries

Old FIAT Ducatos

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    My Hymer is built on a 1992 Ducato chassis. I am currently fitting new rear brake cylinders and a new master cylinder to it. One of the brake cylinders has had a sheared bleed nipple for a couple of years and the brake pedal recently went to the floor on a test run. Hence the decision to renew the parts.
    On attempting to remove the brake pipes it was obvious that the unions had also corroded in place and the steel brake pipes had corroded in the fittings. So they had to be brutalised to remove them.

I went to a local motor factors yesterday to buy some copper pipe and fittings but they said they would not supply it. I must get made-up pipes from FIAT! "Safety" he said. I have a suspicion that in the unlikely event that these pipes are available they will be at a very high price, though.

A search of the internet failed to find anyone who offered new replacement pipes ready made up and my question is whether anyone else has found a supplier. It is fairly academic now because I just ordered some copper pipe and a box of unions which are due to arrive on Friday. That will enable me to make up new pipes to fit. But I wondered if the pipes are available off the shelf anywhere.

Thanks to the lovely warm and sunny weather for the past two days I have cleaned everything up, replaced the wheel cylinders, ground the lips off the drums and removed the old master cylinder. A previous owner had mangled one of the hexagon unions when replacing either it or fitting new copper pipes. So I shall replace that union while I am at it.

With luck I will have good brakes when the job is done, but it does bother me that the correct pipes are not available. Or are they?

The price of the parts from a local factor was scandalous. I bought the brake cylinders, the master cylinder, the central rubber pipe and a wheel bearing set for one of the hubs, delivered by courier to France from Coastal Motorhomes, for less than I was going to be charged for the pair of wheel cylinders alone.
    David
    Central Brittany (Morbihan), France.
    Likes - Jays, Alf, Fermonz, GreggBear, Bigusdickus, helmit, janner, mandrake liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wintonian View Post
    My Hymer is built on a 1992 Ducato chassis. I am currently fitting new rear brake cylinders and a new master cylinder to it. One of the brake cylinders has had a sheared bleed nipple for a couple of years and the brake pedal recently went to the floor on a test run. Hence the decision to renew the parts.
    On attempting to remove the brake pipes it was obvious that the unions had also corroded in place and the steel brake pipes had corroded in the fittings. So they had to be brutalised to remove them.

I went to a local motor factors yesterday to buy some copper pipe and fittings but they said they would not supply it. I must get made-up pipes from FIAT! "Safety" he said. I have a suspicion that in the unlikely event that these pipes are available they will be at a very high price, though.

A search of the internet failed to find anyone who offered new replacement pipes ready made up and my question is whether anyone else has found a supplier. It is fairly academic now because I just ordered some copper pipe and a box of unions which are due to arrive on Friday. That will enable me to make up new pipes to fit. But I wondered if the pipes are available off the shelf anywhere.

Thanks to the lovely warm and sunny weather for the past two days I have cleaned everything up, replaced the wheel cylinders, ground the lips off the drums and removed the old master cylinder. A previous owner had mangled one of the hexagon unions when replacing either it or fitting new copper pipes. So I shall replace that union while I am at it.

With luck I will have good brakes when the job is done, but it does bother me that the correct pipes are not available. Or are they?

The price of the parts from a local factor was scandalous. I bought the brake cylinders, the master cylinder, the central rubber pipe and a wheel bearing set for one of the hubs, delivered by courier to France from Coastal Motorhomes, for less than I was going to be charged for the pair of wheel cylinders alone.
    I am surprised copper brake pipes are not deemed safe. I replaced the pipes on my Spitfire with copper and all was well for 10 years. Flanging copper is quite straightforward and the tools are quite cheap. It is possible to flange steel pipe ie to add repair sections but the tools are much more expensive.

Keith
    Likes - Wintonian, GreggBear liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Cooper is quite capable of holding pressure, just look at a refrigerator.
    Large industrial units in supermarkets are all done in copper.

John
    Likes - Wintonian liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Automec Do heaps of full kits for lots of classics.... probably not for a ducato though....
    In fairness they do them for Landrovers BUT I bought a comprehensive Sykes Pikavent kit some time back along with, a few rolls, of copper and various end fittings in metric and imperial....

The days of nipping down to the car spares shop on a Saturday afternoon to have a new brake pipe made up are long long gone.
    Likes - trevskoda, mandrake, time4t liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    It's the fittings and pipes that's the problem, I have had the flange kit for some years and used to make hundreds of brake pipes for cavaliers chevettes and vivas, last year I was doing the pipes on my sons classic mini and they wouldn't sell me the parts from our local factor, I bought a roll of copper off eBay and used the old fittings, don't give up a local garage might have some unions laying around. Andy

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjanet View Post
    It's the fittings and pipes that's the problem, I have had the flange kit for some years and used to make hundreds of brake pipes for cavaliers chevettes and vivas, last year I was doing the pipes on my sons classic mini and they wouldn't sell me the parts from our local factor, I bought a roll of copper off eBay and used the old fittings, don't give up a local garage might have some unions laying around. Andy

The whole "copper" pipe thang frankly boils my piss.....
    Nothing wrong with copper providing its supported properly.... same as ALL materials.

All materials will work harden including Kunifer and stainless....
    correctly supported no problems....
    copper makes for a much nicer flare joint AND a far better seal.
    Likes - trevskoda, oppy, Wintonian liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    How very irritating! I wonder how many crashes each year are caused by home flanged copper pipes failing? I suspect crashes due to neglected brakes are rather more common.....

Keith
    Likes - GreggBear, Wintonian, time4t liked this post

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Try these Automec

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparrks View Post
    Try these Automec

Psssst.... post #4 ;-)

Member Number:
    Prize Draw Entries