CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life ?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Old bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    I should point out. I have edited my previous post - there was a typo! The batteries are 2 x 6v giving 240AH, not 24AH - Apologies for not spotting this!
    I can vouch for the very hot weather at Whitwell; I got a burnt nose to prove it!

All the figures quoted make assumptions about temperatures, how long the fridge runs per hour etc. None of that compares to actually using the fridge as Rob did.
    I wanna go fishin!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Old bus
    Quote Originally Posted by nimbia View Post
    A Waeco 50 compresser fridge uses c 4 ah per hour when running
    Averaged over 24 hours(its not running most of time) it will use c 1.5 ah per hour (depending how hot it is)
    So it will use c 30 ah per day plus. 150 watts of solar panels will probably supply c 40-50 ah per day in summer in uk. (my figures are from experience not sales brochures) Alllowing for other energy uses you might get away with 150 watts of solar , though 200 would give you a better margin. In winter forget it. In S Europe no problem.
    There are a lot of assumptions there; do you actually own a Waeco 50 fridge?
    I wanna go fishin!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Edina View Post
    There are a lot of assumptions there; do you actually own a Waeco 50 fridge?
    Yes I actually own one and actually take almost daily readings of my solar panel output. And I actually know what I am talking about. Actually.
    I probably slightly over estimated the power drew of the fridge in a British Summer.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    I should point out. I have edited my previous post - there was a typo! The batteries are 2 x 6v giving 240AH, not 24AH - Apologies for not spotting this!
    Then that's about right ( although if you have 2 120 ah 6v batteries wired in series I think you have 120 ah not 240 ah) Thanks for clearing that up. Not doubting your honesty just the figures.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Elddis Accordo
    Quote Originally Posted by mistericeman View Post
    My 40 litre Waeco coolbox (variable speed compressor) pulls an amp or less when it's running and once it's got contents down to temp runs very little.
    It's been a great buy and it's left running all the time even when parked outside the house with the solar topping the batteries up.
    How do these compressors run? Are they the same as inverter AC systems?
    It's about time we saw inverter driven compressors being used in refrigeration. Apart from the pack at Worksop Sainsburys I've never seen one.

Edit: PS that was 1999!
    Last edited by Fletch6; 21-04-2017 at 15:50.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch6 View Post
    How do these compressors run? Are they the same as inverter AC systems?
    It's about time we saw inverter driven compressors being used in refrigeration. Apart from the pack at Worksop Sainsburys I've never seen one.

Edit: PS that was 1999!
    Pretty much (and simplifying things a great deal control wise)
    Yes....
    the mitsubishi a/c systems I work with, convert the alternating current to DC and allow the compressor to run at a variable speed depending on load....
    Rather than the directly driven none inverter type thus the performance curve is a sine wave form Rather than the compressor running, dropping the temperature before cutting out, then allowing the temperature to rise again before cutting in.

Makes for a much more efficient machine AND less current loading (We no longer need 3 phase for most stuff and Motor rated breakers are no longer needed due to lack of up to 3 x the current draw on start up)

Probably 99% of my work is on inverter driven A/C now.....
    Opening up a direct drive unit is like something from Antiques roadshow now lol.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Peugeot Boxer
    I had similar problems.. I inherited a 3 way fridge from the last van owner..

I've read somewhere.. (probably on this site) That the 3 way fridge is designed for caravans.. and that the 12v option is actually only of use whilst the car is driving & split charging the system.. once on site EHU or Gas seems the way to go.. As others have suggested.. 8/9 amps from the appliance would require a sizeable solar setup.

Compressor fridge on the shopping list for me as well.. But, in the meantime.. I've programmed my solar controller to switch the fridge on & off for a couple of times a day.. It's not ideal.. but it's working out ok for now.. The fridge sits between 4-8 degrees over a 24hr period.. The battery never drops below 12v. This short term fix will probably change depending on the weather outside.. I'm in the UK at the min & beers keep cool enough in the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipglyn View Post
    Hi Everyone
    We just got back from a trip and tried running the fridge off the battery 100 ah ,it run flat on the first night we had another so no problem but has anyone tried a solar panel to recharge the battery or run the fridge .
    Any advice please.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bentley Ochre
    It may not bother most people, but I like to find very quiet places to stay sometimes and I have found that the compressor noise can be really annoying. I now have a three way and use gas when not hooked up.
    2CV

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cv View Post
    It may not bother most people, but I like to find very quiet places to stay sometimes and I have found that the compressor noise can be really annoying. I now have a three way and use gas when not hooked up.
    You must have a noisy compressor or very sensitive ears lol....
    We sleep with our heads about 12" above where our Waeco is housed and I've never heard a thing... in fact even stood next to it when it's running its barely audible.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by 2cv View Post
    I agree with Mriceman Bill, I have to put my head down against the fridge almost just to hear it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information