CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Rversing Camera

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750

Rversing Camera

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Does anyone have first hand experience of fitting a reversing camera to a long (8 metre) van.

Not looked into it properly but I can't see how wireless beats video cable.

All advice received with thanks.

How about this type of thing? CAR REAR VIEW KIT for Bus Truck 7" LCD MONITOR + 2x IR REVERSING CAMERA 18LED | eBay

Cheers

H
    Last edited by winks; 21-04-2017 at 10:22.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    I'd read that wireless can be temperamental, if you have a cheapo one, as in failing to re-establish connection when you turn the van on. If you're in a hurry to back out of a space you don't need the ctrl/alt/del moment....But I've no experience of it, so don't know whether that really is an issue.

Still have to get power there of course, but at least you don't have to go all through the hab space with cable as well.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ducato
    If you already have the Garmin 760 Camper satnav, you could buy the Garmin wireless reversing camera. It's easy to fit and works well on my Tag Axle van.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Old bus
    I fitted the single camera version of the one you're looking at and took the cables along the roof, alongside my solar panels, in mini trunking and down through the roof with the solar cables.
    Last edited by Edina; 21-04-2017 at 14:35.
    I wanna go fishin!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    My motorhome came with a reversing camera but it was part of a very expensive and very rubbish stereo, nav etc system.

I replaced the system and kept the camera, then I replaced the camera with a better one, using the same cable. But then the coax cable went faulty and I had to use a spare power wire in the cable for signal - not great. In the end I decided to bite the bullet and run a new cable. It turned out to be really easy.

There is a small hole up high at the back where the cable comes into the van, inside a locker. There is a plug and socket connection there. I simply ran a twin screened cable from there, through the backs of all the cupboards, all along the side of the van, then down a duct where other cables already ran, then into the back of the dash. One cable carries the video signal and earth, the other carries power and earth (even though it is a screened coax cable) There is no audio connection. Installing the whole thing took about fifteen minutes, half of which was moving stuff that was in the cupboards.

Wireless is just too much hassle for me, but if you do use wireless, you may not need to run a power lead: you could take power from the reversing lights.

I have the reversing camera on all the time the ignition is on, even when going forwards, but not everyone wants that.

When choosing a camera, don't make the mistake I made. You don't want a camera with IR lights behind the same bit of glass that the camera lens looks through. After dark, if the glass is a bit mucky (ie any time after driving anywhere) the IR lights up the dirt on the lens, and that's all you can see.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by winks View Post
    Does anyone have first hand experience of fitting a reversing camera to a long (8 metre) van.

Not looked into it properly but I can't see how wireless beats video cable.

All advice received with thanks.

How about this type of thing? CAR REAR VIEW KIT for Bus Truck 7" LCD MONITOR + 2x IR REVERSING CAMERA 18LED | eBay

Cheers

H
    I fitted the same one. The biggest thing is just trying to route the cables.

I was fitting to solar panels so just ran all of the cables in through a hole drilled in the roof. I fitted a cable gland to it to beef it up. Then just hid the wiring behind the A pillar trim and the monitor wiring in the roof lining (as I mounted the monitor in the usual rear view mirror position).

I wired the power to the rear of the cig lighter (checked the fusing and draw first).

Don't expect top quality but it does the job and good for the money.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mclouis Tandy
    I fitted one to my 7 metre motorhome. The wires are routed inside a rear shelf then we have cupboards all the way down one side so I drilled holes through the top virtually out of sight edge and fed through. I used brown silicone in each hole and clipped it in. In the wardrobe it came down to floor level under the trim around the step and up inside the dashboard for the electrics and then around the cab to the mirror, where I fitted a mirror mounted screen. The only downside with it all is the white epoxy painted camera fixing is rusting, they make a stainless steel one which it might be worth using. This is like the one I have fitted.

The hole through the motorhome rear panel was deliberately slightly out of line, I then filled it will a suitable silicon and fastened the bracket holding the camera covering most of the siliconed hole to help reduce the risk of water ingress.

Nearly five years later all is well, the hole is watertight and it is working. One of the cameras points along the road so I can see who is approaching and the other I use for reversing.

I wired it to a spare feed on the fuse box, my Ducato has a few spares.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hobby 750
    Thanks for all the replies folks.

It looks like the wired version wins out then.

Cheers

H

Thread Information