CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Solar Panel Regulator Max Voltage Setting Question?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    But when you are actually camping

you want to have those leisure batteries charged to the absolute maximum,

so they are ready for your hair dryer and microwave.

For example if you have a mobility scooter those batteries are charged to the absolute maximum about 15 volts per cell, so it is ready for you to go down the shops.

I think there is a case for higher charging voltages of the leisure batteries during camping, if you want greatest battery capacity.

That would mean a switchable setting just for camping and a lower voltage for idle days when the camper is not being used.

Hair drier m/wave are you serious
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    But when you are actually camping

you want to have those leisure batteries charged to the absolute maximum,

so they are ready for your hair dryer and microwave.

For example if you have a mobility scooter those batteries are charged to the absolute maximum about 15 volts per cell, so it is ready for you to go down the shops.

I think there is a case for higher charging voltages of the leisure batteries during camping, if you want greatest battery capacity.

That would mean a switchable setting just for camping and a lower voltage for idle days when the camper is not being used.

Older onboard chargers mostly charged to a max of 13.8 volts which meant the battery was never fully charged to 100%. Modern multistage chargers have got round this problem.

Victron products seem to have the best reputation with good quality products that suit the motorhome application.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    All good chargers / charge controllers do all this automatically. They charge in four stages:
    1. Charge at a low current to get the battery up to a sensible start voltage.
    2. Belt in as much current as possible to fill the battery up, which is indicated by its voltage reaching 14.5v
    3. Charge it at just enough current to maintain the voltage at 14.5v for as long as is needed to balance the cells (varies with battery type)
    4. Maintain the voltage at 13.7v (or 13.8v) to keep it topped up.
    There should be no user selection involved. It should be automatic (and normally is).
    The problem is that most leisure battery banks have two or three different chargers: the alternator/split charge relay, the hookup charger and the solar controller. This means that none of them has sole charge of charge control.
    I get round this by having the solar panels charge the starter battery, the leisure batteries charged by a Sterling b2b charger and never using hookup.
    This works for me.
    Last edited by hairydog; 17-07-2017 at 18:17.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Trev, a hair dryer is the only way to dry your tackle after having a shower ?

IanH Guest
    Trev, a hair dryer is the only way to dry your tackle after having a shower ?

Can't be..........................only dirty people wash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nu venture rio
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    . Some people , they'll be wanting heating next

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by molly 2 View Post
    . Some people , they'll be wanting heating next
    And something to cook their dinner on !

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    And something to cook their dinner on !

Knives and forks to,mind not much use for soup so i found
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sunseeker 180
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    Older onboard chargers mostly charged to a max of 13.8 volts which meant the battery was never fully charged to 100%. Modern multistage chargers have got round this problem.

Victron products seem to have the best reputation with good quality products that suit the motorhome application.
    It was explained to me the "caravan" chargers only go to 80% capacity charge, 13.8v. as most were inside the living space as opposed to under a car bonnet. The idea being to reduce the gassing fumes while charging. I suppose not all battery boxes are fully sealed?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewroe View Post
    It was explained to me the "caravan" chargers only go to 80% capacity charge, 13.8v. as most were inside the living space as opposed to under a car bonnet. The idea being to reduce the gassing fumes while charging. I suppose not all battery boxes are fully sealed?
    That's the reason I fitted a Ctek charger, I only use it at home when on ehu. It ensures my battery bank is fully charged before I head off.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information