CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Solar Panel Regulator Max Voltage Setting Question?

Member Number

Solar Panel Regulator Max Voltage Setting Question?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    My solar panel regulator is set at 13.8 volts maximum setting , on our latest trip to France I was talking to a smart arse who said that the setting was too high and should be 12.7 volts. I am sure he is wrong but just need to check with the boffins here that mine is not to high ..... Jeff
    Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, cool buzzing, high talking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing...........Cant remember

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacar and a Rimor K Max
    Does this help Jeff? Picked it up off a forum.

The maximum power voltage of a nominal 12 volt panel (Vmp) will typically be 18 volts or more and the Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) will be even higher. The output voltage needs to be as high as 14.8 volts for some batteries at some times, and the input voltage has to be high enough to give some room for the controller work.
    When you use a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) controller for which the input and output currents are identical it is not good to make the panel output voltage too high.
    But with an MPPT controller (with a decent input range) you can use much higher voltage panels (~36 volts or more) which are primarily intended for Grid Tie systems and you can put multiple panels in series to reduce the amount of current the wires need to carry.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

IanH Guest
    12.7v wont charge the battery!
    My max v is 14.4, battery off charge shows 13.8v. Not checked them in the dark, but a nominal 12v battery is 12.8v fully charged
    So 12.7 is, IMHO bolleaux!!!!

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by izwozral View Post
    Does this help Jeff? Picked it up off a forum.

The maximum power voltage of a nominal 12 volt panel (Vmp) will typically be 18 volts or more and the Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) will be even higher. The output voltage needs to be as high as 14.8 volts for some batteries at some times, and the input voltage has to be high enough to give some room for the controller work.
    When you use a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) controller for which the input and output currents are identical it is not good to make the panel output voltage too high.
    But with an MPPT controller (with a decent input range) you can use much higher voltage panels (~36 volts or more) which are primarily intended for Grid Tie systems and you can put multiple panels in series to reduce the amount of current the wires need to carry.
    Thanks Ral
    Mine is the MPPT controller with 2 wet leisure batteries, the guy I was talking with swore blind the 13.8 volts limit my controller was set at would fry my batteries, and as I have just had 2 new ones fitted ( Banner 100ah ) I don't want to damage them
    Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, cool buzzing, high talking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing...........Cant remember

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmossy View Post
    My solar panel regulator is set at 13.8 volts maximum setting , on our latest trip to France I was talking to a smart arse who said that the setting was too high and should be 12.7 volts. I am sure he is wrong but just need to check with the boffins here that mine is not to high ..... Jeff
    I would think a voltage of 14.5 volts BUT if you have new batteries, confirm with the manufacturer what the maximum voltage is.

Open vented lead acid cells should be happy with 14.5 and maybe a maximum of 14.8 volts.

Minimum of 14.1 volts.

IanH Guest
    Ok, let's solve this scientifically. (ish!)

I have a very clever battery charger for model aircraft, quadcopters etc. It recognises/you tell it which battery you want charged. It then goes to the max allowable voltage for said battery, the current going in starts high then reduces as the charge builds up. The voltage remains constant until the charge current is very low.

This thing is as good as i can afford, so I'm off now to connect it to a car 12v battery and record the results. I already know this battery is far from flat but is also not full, so the results should be reasonably accurate. To back it up, I'll also record the input volts to the batt with a multimeter and compare its readings with the display on the charger.

Give me 1/2hr!!

chrismilo is offline Full Member
    Name: Chris
    Spouse: Looking Again

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vauxhall movano
    I get 14.5 in the daytime and 12.7 after dark which apparently is correct showing on my mppt charge controller

IanH Guest
    Ok, now see pics, test pics.................CIMG3359.JPG

No arguement, this clever charger, see pic 3360 shows it recognises a PB6, ie a 6 cell lead acid wet cell battery. Charge voltage is 14.7v, current is reducing, as I said the battery was far from flat, 1.4A, started at 3.8A, charger max is 5A

So, unless anyone wants to argue, I'd say the max charging voltaCIMG3360.JPGge for a 12v lead acid battery is 14.7v??????CIMG3358.JPG

Last pic shows charger and box, should you want one. It is awesome, and unlikely that you'll have a battery it can't, properly, charge!!
    Last edited by IanH; 16-07-2017 at 15:27.

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    Ok, now see pics, test pics.................CIMG3359.JPG

No arguement, this clever charger, see pic 3360 shows it recognises a PB6, ie a 6 cell lead acid wet cell battery. Charge voltage is 14.7v, current is reducing, as I said the battery was far from flat, 1.4A, started at 3.8A, charger max is 5A

So, unless anyone wants to argue, I'd say the max charging voltaCIMG3360.JPGge for a 12v lead acid battery is 14.7v??????CIMG3358.JPG

Last pic shows charger and box, should you want one. It is awesome, and unlikely that you'll have a battery it can't, properly, charge!!
    I am glad that you agree with me.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B544
    We use the ctek controller for our 150watt solar panel . This is the spec in the blurb.

Charging voltage 14.4V (Temperature Compensated Higher for cold, Lower for hot)
    The less you want the more you live .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information