CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: MH owners who enjoy a glass of wine when parked?

  1. #1

    Member Number
    68397
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    41
    Location
    Perthshire
    Motorhome
    Hymer B694

    MH owners who enjoy a glass of wine when parked?



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    When parked up in Scotland, due to lower alcohol limits, how does the legislation cater for motor home drivers are parked up. I believe actually having the vehicle keys in your possession renders you responsible for vehicle. I would be interested in readers views or experiences.
    Thanks, Growlie69

  2. #2
    grath's Avatar
    grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

    Member Number
    1494
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,273
    Location
    North Staffordshire or on Tour
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Quote Originally Posted by Growlie69 View Post
    When parked up in Scotland, due to lower alcohol limits, how does the legislation cater for motor home drivers are parked up. I believe actually having the vehicle keys in your possession renders you responsible for vehicle. I would be interested in readers views or experiences.
    Thanks, Growlie69
    Never worried about this, but what we do is turn the seats, which we would anyway, and make it obvious that the van is your temporary home and is not mobile in that state. Maybe the table would be set etc!
    Our keys would be hanging up!
    If we had ever had the misfortune of a plod out to make a name, we would take photographs as evidence that the vehicle was in no state to drive and we were parked up for the night. And we would contest any case!
    No different than sitting in your home!
    I am not referring to been parked overnight on the highway, although, we have done this, discretely
    Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Graham+Kath = Grath

  3. #3

    Member Number
    11469
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,874
    Location
    UK and Thailand
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

    I agree with the post above.

    I think there are 3 scenarios.
    1 A layby next to a road...a bit af a risk.
    2 A layby which is away from the road maybe where the highway has been staightene.....minimal risk.
    3 a car park just off the road...minimal risk.
    Also private land ...no risk.
    As posted chairs turned etc...

  4. #4

    Member Number
    68397
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    41
    Location
    Perthshire
    Motorhome
    Hymer B694

    Bed and Bar open?

    Thanks for the input, that was how we had interpreted the legal side but just wondered if anyone had suffered negative experiences. A friend of mine was booked for being in a car park, in the back seat of his car in a sleeping bag, because he was in possession of the keys.
    Very much up to police interpretation and attitude and where we park for the night.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    Slainte, Growlie69

  5. #5

    Member Number
    30323
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,564
    Motorhome
    Auto Trail Dakota
    As far as I know nobody has ever been prosecuted for this whilst overnighting in a motorhome.

    One tip for you if you use a pub stop - always ask for permission to spend the night. In the very unlikely event that you have a problem it's helpful to have some corroboration.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

  6. #6

    Member Number
    6231
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    8,449
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Growlie69 View Post
    Thanks for the input, that was how we had interpreted the legal side but just wondered if anyone had suffered negative experiences. A friend of mine was booked for being in a car park, in the back seat of his car in a sleeping bag, because he was in possession of the keys.
    Very much up to police interpretation and attitude and where we park for the night.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    Slainte, Growlie69
    I strongly suggest you research the law beyond the comments here. The significant difference between a motorhome and a car is the former has purpose built sleeping accommodation toilets and cooking facilities etc oh and heating ...a car doesn't so far more likely for a DIC charge

    Channa

  7. #7
    grath's Avatar
    grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

    Member Number
    1494
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,273
    Location
    North Staffordshire or on Tour
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    I strongly suggest you research the law beyond the comments here. The significant difference between a motorhome and a car is the former has purpose built sleeping accommodation toilets and cooking facilities etc oh and heating ...a car doesn't so far more likely for a DIC charge

    Channa
    Totally agree with Andrew
    Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Graham+Kath = Grath

  8. #8

    Member Number
    29986
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,995
    Location
    Dewsbury West Yorks
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Quote Originally Posted by Growlie69 View Post
    Thanks for the input, that was how we had interpreted the legal side but just wondered if anyone had suffered negative experiences. A friend of mine was booked for being in a car park, in the back seat of his car in a sleeping bag, because he was in possession of the keys.
    Very much up to police interpretation and attitude and where we park for the night.
    Thanks to all who replied.
    Slainte, Growlie69
    Rightly or wrongly the police who find people asleep in a car think there is a very good chance of them awakening early from either cold or discomfort and driving off still over the limit. Whereas in a MH you have a full nights sleep make drinks and breakfast in the morning and far less likely to be over the limit when next driving.
    As Channa says do your research into the legalities of it and make your decision of whether you want to do it.

  9. #9

    Member Number
    21925
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    16,421
    Location
    Wyboston
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Fortunately for me, my wife doesn't drink, and is insured to drive the van. So I just give her the keys.

    So, the answer is, don't let your missus have a drink and you can get completely shrew faced.

    (Saves a fortune too!)
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!

  10. #10

    Member Number
    5407
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,121
    Motorhome
    2002 Hymer B584 Classic
    Quote Originally Posted by Robmac View Post
    Fortunately for me, my wife doesn't drink, and is insured to drive the van. So I just give her the keys.
    Is she busy next week Rob?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •