grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star, 3 Ltr, 4500kg

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    109 load rated tyres are rated at 1,030Kg maximum, so 2,060Kg for the axle. So these are the correctly rated tyres for your maximum axle loading of 1,900Kg.

There's no benefit changing the tyres for a higher load rated tyre unless you're going to get the 'van replated. In which case there are much higher load commercial tyres available.
    Not quite sure about no advantage getting higher rated tyres.
    The advantage would be a higher safety margin, hopefully keeping the tyre cooler when in hot conditions!
    I did put higher spec tyres on for this very reason, as we always or nearly always, run at full gross weight
    Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nuevo
    My local dealer is unable to suggest higher rated tyres, 'the book' says that I should run my current tyres at 65psi which is their maximum pressure this results in lost dental fillings on anything other than a bowling green surface - 'camping car' tyres specify a pressure of 80psi which would probably result in detached retinas!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by malagaoth View Post
    My local dealer is unable to suggest higher rated tyres, 'the book' says that I should run my current tyres at 65psi which is their maximum pressure this results in lost dental fillings on anything other than a bowling green surface - 'camping car' tyres specify a pressure of 80psi which would probably result in detached retinas!
    I suggest you search on both Michelin and Continental tyre web sites for all sizes!
    Our fronts are at 75psi and the rears at 78/80 psi
    Works for us at 4500kg, and no bone shaking, just slow down on cobble streets!
    Last edited by grath; 13-09-2017 at 16:30.
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nuevo
    both seem to specify pressures not a kick in the behind off 80psi and the use of metal valves

Member Number
    Motorhome
    both seem to specify pressures not a kick in the behind off 80psi and the use of metal valves
    We have always had metal valves, except once we did have a rubber valve in the spare. I did get it changed asap!
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    From memory, our previous Hymer Exsis running at 3500kg, and maybe a little over, I had the fronts at 60psi and the rears at 72psi. I think the Continental recommended about 56psi on the fronts.
    I just prefer tyres not to be soft as softer does get hotter.
    Graham+Kath = Grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto Trail Dakota
    I suggest he might be wrong ...

In any case, as I said, the tyres you have are correctly rated unless you're replating. Are you planning to do that?

If so you'd be advised to check on the feasibility first with a company such as SV Tech.
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Compact Line
    If the tyres are rated at a load of 1030kg per tyre and you are running them with a load of 950kg per tyre, then 1030/950 = 92% loading. If the maximum pressure of the tyre is 65psi, then 92% of 65 is 59.8 psi, so you could try them at 60/61psi assuming you are fully loaded.
    Dave

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Merc 309D Westfalia James Cook
    I cant help myself, I've got to jump in having just read about 75% of this thread.

1. Vehicle and tyre manufacturers spend years testing vehicles with tyres and pressures that achieve the best compromise of handling, ride and tyre durability - especially commercial vehicles - if you think you can do better than 750,000 to 1 million mile testing then you should be building vehicles.
    2. They take the bother to stick a tyre placard with tyre and pressure options at max legal weight of the vehicle's axles. eg 60psi front 65psi rear for 215/R15 or 55psi front 60psi rear for 205R15.
    3. The tyre placard lists the only tyre sizes that can legally be fitted in many countries and may also state the max axle weights for each tyre size/rating if there are options.
    4. In some countries your vehicle will be considered unroadworthy if the tyres don't match the tyre placard, rare but if you get a full inspection its an easy one to pickup.
    5. Dual tyres running soft are dangerous as the side walls of the adjacent tyres will touch and overheat/fail.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse (defined as a liberal gift) from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, followed always by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years." - attributed to Alexander Fraser Tytler, (October 15, 1747 - January 5, 1813) a Scottish-born British lawyer and writer.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Carthago Compact Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I cant help myself, I've got to jump in having just read about 75% of this thread.

1. Vehicle and tyre manufacturers spend years testing vehicles with tyres and pressures that achieve the best compromise of handling, ride and tyre durability - especially commercial vehicles - if you think you can do better than 750,000 to 1 million mile testing then you should be building vehicles.
    2. They take the bother to stick a tyre placard with tyre and pressure options at max legal weight of the vehicle's axles. eg 60psi front 65psi rear for 215/R15 or 55psi front 60psi rear for 205R15.
    3. The tyre placard lists the only tyre sizes that can legally be fitted in many countries and may also state the max axle weights for each tyre size/rating if there are options.
    4. In some countries your vehicle will be considered unroadworthy if the tyres don't match the tyre placard, rare but if you get a full inspection its an easy one to pickup.
    5. Dual tyres running soft are dangerous as the side walls of the adjacent tyres will touch and overheat/fail.
    Wth regard to your point 1, I was advocating the calculation that Michelin and others have now declined to give. Up until a few years ago it was possible to contact Michelin Technical Department with your specific weigh-bridge axle loading receive their recommendations for front and rear tyre pressures. In my experience these were always significantly lower than the van manufacturers handbook recommendations. Make your own choice based on what you know about your own van axle loadings. As always, err on the side of caution and safety.
    Dave
    Likes Alf, maingate, Keithchesterfield liked this post
    Thanks Alf thanked for this post

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information