CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it dirty Gas

Member Number
    Motorhome
    1989 Hymer s660

Is it dirty Gas

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Hi, Our 1989 Hymer has a large gas tank which we fill at the same fuel station when it needs to be topped up. The fridge was serviced last year and in the 9 years we have the Hymer we never had a gas issue untill after the last fill.
    The fridge is leaving a sooty mark at its flue vent and there is a smell from the flue also one of the cooker rings ( the most used one ) when turned full low and near full low the flame increases and decreases and has gone out with a pop on occasion also.
    Since it started after the last fill I suspect dirt in the gas, the garage closed about a month after the fill to make way for a new built one, they were empting their gas tank prior to its removal.
    Has anyone had to deal with similar symptoms from gas.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Some times there is a oily sludge in gas but there are filters which can be fitted in line to stop this,seems this is whats happening to your setup.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Sounds like there is water in the gas !!

Channa

Member Number
    I've had it soon after swapping to french 13kg butane.
    Thought it was blocked fridge flue / jet, but after a good clean it was still same. Then swapped to brit propane and all ok.
    I later installed 2x11kg Gasit refills, all good on morrisons propane, but re-filled last winter in Benidorm and got some dirty gas, same symptoms as described, turned off that cylinder and back on brit propane all ok.
    I kept switching the regulator over, depending on what I was using the gas for, until all the spanish refill was used up.
    Now on morrisons propane, got about 1/2 cylinder plus a full one of gas, currently in S of F, and heading into Spain in 3 weeks.

regards
    Allen
    Thanks Morphology thanked for this post

Member Number
    I don't buy this dirty gas theory. I've filled with gas all over Europe from the Arctic circle to Cappadocia
    If you can see the flame and it's nice and blue it's almost certain to be a sooty flue.
    They usually have a baffle in which can be difficult to remove but remove it you have to and then clean flue with a bottle brush.
    An alternative method which I use is to make an airline fitting from a tyre valve (guts removed) and solder a short length of 8mm copper pipe with a right hand bend. Go to a garage and use the airline to blow it clean.
    The staining of the flue outlet and smell are classic symptoms

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent 15
    It is known as heavy ends and most definitely does exist
    May not be the answer to this problem but here is some information.
    http://www.propanecouncil.org/upload...%20Propane.pdf
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Auto Trail Dakota
    If the gas was always certain to be clean the fitment of vapour filters wouldn't be recommended by GasIt and others ...
    Remember - POI additions and updates can be sent by email to POI@wildcamping.co.uk

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by POI Admin View Post
    If the gas was always certain to be clean the fitment of vapour filters wouldn't be recommended by GasIt and others ...
    I asked AUTOGAS 2000 about a filter when I had my bulk tank fitted. They said they don't normally fit them. I got the impression they thought they were a waste of time and money.
    I bet it's a dirty flue.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    The clue is in the Last Paragraph

Since it started after the last fill I suspect dirt in the gas, the garage closed about a month after the fill to make way for a new built one, they were empting their gas tank prior to its removal.
    Has anyone had to deal with similar symptoms from gas.

Alf

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Reading the thread again I notice you mention smell, likely to be mercaptan the stanching agent, Heavy ends I concur with Charlie do occur especially if running the tanks down, also could be moisture ( water in the gas ) from the tanks same reason,

Channa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information