CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fitting a Radio in habitation side

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Motorhome on a Renault Master

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    What works well (and this is something I make as it happens and have sold over a hundred of in the VW world) is a "Drive/Camping" switch and lets you chose via a switch if the radio comes on with the ignition ("Drive" mode, like normal) or comes on without the key in the ignition (the "Camping" mode).
    This is easy to fit and works with the majority of radios (typically any that DON'T turn themselves off after a while unless engine running)

PS. I fit this and combine it with a remote control for the radio so I can control it from the back of the van [/QUOTE]

How would I fit a drive/camping switch? (given that I am usually at war with technology! ) The cab unit, which has speakers in the habitation area, turns off as soon as the key is turned off. It does not work at all with the engine off. My solar panel is wired to charge the vehicle battery as well as the two leisure batteries; so I would be happy to use the cab radio instead of a stand alone unit and forgo a cd player.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Check out your TV (or buy a suitable one). No mess no extra wiring and no extra weight.

In this digital age most get radio stations via the TV aerial; play CDs & DVD & SD cards & USB sticks.

They works off 12v or 240v.

Worth considering.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    Likes channa, Alf, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggarmac View Post
    What works well (and this is something I make as it happens and have sold over a hundred of in the VW world) is a "Drive/Camping" switch and lets you chose via a switch if the radio comes on with the ignition ("Drive" mode, like normal) or comes on without the key in the ignition (the "Camping" mode).
    This is easy to fit and works with the majority of radios (typically any that DON'T turn themselves off after a while unless engine running)

PS. I fit this and combine it with a remote control for the radio so I can control it from the back of the van

How would I fit a drive/camping switch? (given that I am usually at war with technology! ) The cab unit, which has speakers in the habitation area, turns off as soon as the key is turned off. It does not work at all with the engine off. My solar panel is wired to charge the vehicle battery as well as the two leisure batteries; so I would be happy to use the cab radio instead of a stand alone unit and forgo a cd player.
    it is very easy to fit - this is my thread about it on the VW Forum - http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=840945
    The comments about VWs in the discussion are perfectly valid for any vehicle, so don't be concerned it is a "VW Only" thing. I installed one in my VW LT in the same way, and the LT electrics are pure Mercedes Sprinter.
    VW LT Camperbus Build Blog.- https://www.facebook.com/Wildebus
    Thanks Biggarmac thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    I have a pushbutton on the dash that does the same. It's easy to install.
    The radio has two power feeds. One is always on, the other comes on with the ignition.
    You simply find a two way switch. Find the ignition switched wire and cut it. Connect the common contact of the switch to the end of the wire you just cut that leads to the radio. Connect one of the other contacts to the vehicle side of the same wire. Connect the other contact to the always on feed.
    Note that this is if the radio runs from the engine battery. It is more complicated if it runs from the hab battery.
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I have a pushbutton on the dash that does the same. It's easy to install.
    The radio has two power feeds. One is always on, the other comes on with the ignition.
    You simply find a two way switch. Find the ignition switched wire and cut it. Connect the common contact of the switch to the end of the wire you just cut that leads to the radio. Connect one of the other contacts to the vehicle side of the same wire. Connect the other contact to the always on feed.
    Note that this is if the radio runs from the engine battery. It is more complicated if it runs from the hab battery.
    that will work.
    My kit is plug and play for just about any aftermarket radio though - no cutting of wires needed and makes no difference if radio runs off starter battery or leisure/house/habitation battery
    Thanks Biggarmac thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    ih 630 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by r4dent View Post
    Check out your TV (or buy a suitable one). No mess no extra wiring and no extra weight.

In this digital age most get radio stations via the TV aerial; play CDs & DVD & SD cards & USB sticks.

They works off 12v or 240v.

Worth considering.
    We have year old Ducato which turns off after 20 minutes on the older ducats this could be re-configured to stay on 3 hours not possible on the latest and has a canbus system that will or respond correctly with an extra switched live feed so use the Avtex for radio and playing music CDs

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    caravans fit car type radios , Could you not wire the existing unit with a switch that chooses leisure batt rather than the van bat ....I am not an electrician but sounds feasible in my little world

Channa
    Thats how mine is wired ,and you can buy a remote radio from ebay with sd card and usb reader,15 and replace the one you have,or just buy a remote and wire you old radio to les battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trevskoda; 12-10-2017 at 16:08.
    Only dirty people wash

Member Number
    A Ipod may be worth consideration plays mp3 you can get extension speakers recharge via usb telephone type charger even carry in your pocket with some head phones.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    that will work.
    My kit is plug and play for just about any aftermarket radio though - no cutting of wires needed and makes no difference if radio runs off starter battery or leisure/house/habitation battery
    I don't know what your kit consists of. I guess you could do it with a DIN plug and socket with the switch wired in as I described. But it'd need all that stuff packed into the limited space behind the dash (and padded to stop rattles). Probably it would be harder to fit than simply cutting a single wire.

I think you are being a bit optimistic there, though. The standard DIN connector's use of the 'always on'/'ignition switched' wires varies from car to car (I'm not sure why). A lot of the time you have to swap these two wires over.

If you run the radio off the hab power, connecting the ignition feed from the engine battery could be a Very Bad Plan, especially if you use a battery to battery charger (which is an increasingly common setup) The radio isn't designed to carry battery charging currents.
    Last edited by hairydog; 12-10-2017 at 20:08.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    I don't know what your kit consists of. I guess you could do it with a DIN plug and socket with the switch wired in as I described. But it'd need all that stuff packed into the limited space behind the dash (and padded to stop rattles). Probably it would be harder to fit than simply cutting a single wire.

I think you are being a bit optimistic there, though. The standard DIN connector's use of the 'always on'/'ignition switched' wires varies from car to car (I'm not sure why). A lot of the time you have to swap these two wires over.

If you run the radio off the hab power, connecting the ignition feed from the engine battery could be a Very Bad Plan, especially if you use a battery to battery charger (which is an increasingly common setup) The radio isn't designed to carry battery charging currents.
    Sorry, not optimistic at all. If you want to see what the kit is, just look at the link. There is a picture you can look at. You can even copy it if you like.
    I know you are always right about everything but you are talking out your posterior again.

Last reply to you on this matter as no point in discussing with you further.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information