CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting a Radio in habitation side

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Motorhome on a Renault Master

Fitting a Radio in habitation side

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Help. I am fairly clueless about how to fit a radio into my m/h on the habitation side that I can use when parked up. There is a 12v (switched) supply in a cupboard where I could put a radio/CD/usb/Bluetooth unit. I would like Bluetooth so that I can use my sony speaker unit (BOSE type) rather than fitting speakers. My question is - would a standard car radio be ok to use as there are none of the bits in the cupboard that usually go into the back of a car radio in the dashboard?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    caravans fit car type radios , Could you not wire the existing unit with a switch that chooses leisure batt rather than the van bat ....I am not an electrician but sounds feasible in my little world

Channa
    Likes Fermonz, trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Pilote Motorhome on a Renault Master
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    caravans fit car type radios , Could you not wire the existing unit with a switch that chooses leisure batt rather than the van bat ....I am not an electrician but sounds feasible in my little world

Channa
    Thanks Channa. The radio in the dash has no CD unit in it and I would like to have that option. Rather than changing the dash radio I wondered about putting another in the habitation area.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggarmac View Post
    Help. I am fairly clueless about how to fit a radio into my m/h on the habitation side that I can use when parked up. There is a 12v (switched) supply in a cupboard where I could put a radio/CD/usb/Bluetooth unit. I would like Bluetooth so that I can use my sony speaker unit (BOSE type) rather than fitting speakers. My question is - would a standard car radio be ok to use as there are none of the bits in the cupboard that usually go into the back of a car radio in the dashboard?
    The way I am reading this, I don't think it would work as you describe/hope.
    The bluetooth on car radios are a mechanism to get an audio source in, and not to get sound out.

All the rest is fine, but you will need to fit a pair of speakers. (And have an aerial input as well if you want to listen to radio).
    VW LT Camperbus Build Blog.- https://www.facebook.com/Wildebus
    Likes channa liked this post
    Thanks Biggarmac thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Adria
    Pretty easy to do, and you can buy mounting kits off ebay, and I use the tv aerial for signal - works great for fm. I have 4 speaker system pumping out 100w....acoustics is really good all for less than 80. Make sure you get one with aux input as then you can plug in your device of choice.
    Likes channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    No Cd etc I see the reason now, and Wildebus is correct the cd players I have seen with Bluetooth work as a receiver which gets me thinking

To avoid all the drilling fitting speakers etc ...Have you considered using a androd phone or I phone and blue toothing it to speakers , I have seen the little beat boxes the quality really good... perhaps another solution ? and of course you can download thousands of albums off various sites like deezer

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW LT 2.8TDi Self-Build Camperbus
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post

Channa
    This with respect would not work as what would happen is when you switch from van battery to leisurely battery you will loose power and hence loose all the settings (so radio retune each time, etc.)

What works well (and this is something I make as it happens and have sold over a hundred of in the VW world) is a "Drive/Camping" switch and lets you chose via a switch if the radio comes on with the ignition ("Drive" mode, like normal) or comes on without the key in the ignition (the "Camping" mode).
    This is easy to fit and works with the majority of radios (typically any that DON'T turn themselves off after a while unless engine running)

PS. I fit this and combine it with a remote control for the radio so I can control it from the back of the van
    Last edited by wildebus; 11-10-2017 at 21:38.
    VW LT Camperbus Build Blog.- https://www.facebook.com/Wildebus
    Likes channa, delicagirl liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    CI Euro Riviera 100
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebus View Post
    This with respect would not work as what would happen is when you switch from van battery to leisurely battery you will loose power and hence loose all the settings (so radio retune each time, etc.)

What works well (and this is something I make as it happens and have sold over a hundred of in the VW world) is a "Drive/Camping" switch and lets you chose via a switch if the radio comes on with the ignition ("Drive" mode, like normal) or comes on without the key in the ignition (the "Camping" mode).
    This is easy to fit and works with the majority of radios (typically any that DON'T turn themselves off after a while unless engine running)

PS. I fit this and combine it with a remote control for the radio so I can control it from the back of the van
    In teory before we both answered we didn't know the van unit was tape no cd..though I get your point and a valid one...in reality OP talking about a standalone unit which could run off the leisure feed

Channa

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mitsubishi delica JB500
    i have a radio/old fashioned cassette player in my delica cab - there are two additional speakers in the hab area..... it works very well..

Member Number
    Motorhome
    nu venture rio
    Car cd players are becoming a thing of the past it's all changing to memory sticks etc .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information