CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: electrical question - external charging point at home

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Trev All Caravan Sites in the UK are using Earth Spikes its a Regulation of BS7671 and the Electricity Supply Regulations.
    Yep alf but what about other countries,im very sus about them and eth spikes let alone which side is hot ,hence i fitted a polarity change over switch in van also.
    Better not go into this to deep or the mad axe men will be after me.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes delicagirl, harrow, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Yep alf but what about other countries,im very sus about them and eth spikes let alone which side is hot ,hence i fitted a polarity change over switch in van also.
    Probably if they catch you tapping into their electric supply,

isn't that what street lights are for ?

A handy electric hook up point ?

Likes trevskoda, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    Trev use a generator and be safe

Alf

Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    did someone say generator
    Likes blights liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    did someone say generator
    What,never on this forum in a million years.
    Now lets talk about gray water..
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes Alf, channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Trev it's. best let out near earth spikes.

Alf

What,never on this forum in a million years.
    Now lets talk about gray water..
    Likes trevskoda, Robmac, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

Earthing

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Trev it's. best let out near earth spikes.

Alf
    Ok, interesting, but I am waiting with bated breath for a clear joined up explanation of the problem??? I learned a lot about special requirements and risks with boat electrics over the years but have to admit this is a new one for me...and I am sure many others are in the same boat... err...van.
    Likes trevskoda, MarkJ liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Quote Originally Posted by barge1914 View Post
    Ok, interesting, but I am waiting with bated breath for a clear joined up explanation of the problem??? I learned a lot about special requirements and risks with boat electrics over the years but have to admit this is a new one for me...and I am sure many others are in the same boat... err...van.
    Alf is correct as the rules go & being safe,anything else is up to ones self.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hi barge so you know the risks with boats then, are you aware the regulations for boats is basically the same as for caravans. No read the link you may find the joined up explanation satisfies you

Alf

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-...s.cfm?type=pdf

Last edited by Alf; 12-10-2017 at 19:09.
    Thanks time4t thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    Mains electricity has a live wire and a neutral wire when it comes into your house. In theory the neutral is at about earth, but you can't depend on that.

The electricity company also supply a separate earth voltage connection. That is the wire that all the earth pins on electrical plugs are connected to, so all the metal cases of appliances are connected to it. So whatever derangements happen inside the appliance, you can't touch a live part: just the earth voltage.

However, that earth voltage might be the earth at the substation, but it may not be earth voltage in your house. To make sure that your house's idea of earth is the same as the earth wire's, the house is connected to it as well. This is called Protective Multiple Earthing (or PME for jargon). All the pipes and wires are joined to the earth cable using fat wires. This ensures that you are protected by a "mesh" at the same voltage as the earth cable.

This is fine as long as you are indoors. But take a cable out to your motorhome and you have left the house. Yes, you could easily connect the bodywork and anything else inside the motorhome to the earth voltage, but the tyres are rubber. The motorhome has no electrical connection to the outside soil. What happens if you step outside onto damp soil at a different 'earth' voltage? I'll tell you what: you could possibly get a shock. Not likely, but possible.

Much the same is true of taking an electric mower or hedge trimmer outside, but generally these have no earth at all. They are "double insulated" and in addition, any socket used for cables going outside has to have a low current RCD - which is a device that compares the current going out on the live with the current coming back on the neutral. On the "I counted them out and I counted them back in again" system, if it detects that if any of our electrons are missing in action, it cuts the current off very fast indeed.

So when you use a simple 13A to hookup adapter, you have at least* one RCD protecting you. Any mains current flowing to earth will cut the power. Good enough for occasional use. But it would still be better if the motorhome's earth supply was at the same voltage as the local earth. And it is easy to do if you are wiring a dedicated hookup socket: just hammer a metal spike into the ground and connect the socket's earth wire to that instead.

Personally, I grew up in a world where cars didn't have seat belts. I rode a motorbike for years before helmets were compulsory (when I rode them on the road, I generally wore one, though). Our house wiring had 15A and 5A sockets and wire fuses. And I survived. But nowadays these are unnecessary risks.

*The house will have an RCD in the fusebox. The outdoor socket will probably have a more sensitive one of its own. And the motorhome will have one in its mains wiring.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information