CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: electrical question - external charging point at home

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel

electrical question - external charging point at home

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    I've found threads related to this, but not directly answering this point.

I'm getting an outside socket installed at home for charging the m/h. I had a chat with the electrician and we agreed that if it was specifically for this purpose then it needed to be separately earthed; the PME house earth should not be used. That's fine, I understand why - well documented on various forums and websites.

Now, before I knew this I, like probably lots of people, had been gaily plugging the van into a socket in the garage via an 13A/CE adaptor (garage connected to the house PME earth) or into a house socket. Seems to me that if a dedicated charging socket needs a separate earth for safety reasons then plugging in via these adaptors to 'house' 13A sockets is circumventing that safety measure and should not be done. But I've never seen any advice to that effect....and these adaptors are sold very widely.

Any comment from anyone who is an expert?

PS - supplementary question: could this earthing issue be why my garage circuit used to trip when I unplugged the van sometimes?
    Likes Alf liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    The Electricity Supply Regulations and BS 7671 explicitly ban the use of a TN-C-S or PME earth from being used to supply a motor caravan or caravan, you have obviously got a skilled electrician to do your work

Alf

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    I've found threads related to this, but not directly answering this point.

I'm getting an outside socket installed at home for charging the m/h. I had a chat with the electrician and we agreed that if it was specifically for this purpose then it needed to be separately earthed; the PME house earth should not be used. That's fine, I understand why - well documented on various forums and websites.

Now, before I knew this I, like probably lots of people, had been gaily plugging the van into a socket in the garage via an 13A/CE adaptor (garage connected to the house PME earth) or into a house socket. Seems to me that if a dedicated charging socket needs a separate earth for safety reasons then plugging in via these adaptors to 'house' 13A sockets is circumventing that safety measure and should not be done. But I've never seen any advice to that effect....and these adaptors are sold very widely.

Any comment from anyone who is an expert?

PS - supplementary question: could this earthing issue be why my garage circuit used to trip when I unplugged the van sometimes?
    Last edited by Alf; 12-10-2017 at 18:48.
    Thanks MarkJ, channa thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs 4 Travel
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    The Electricity Supply Regulations and BS 7671 explicitly ban the use of a TN-C-C or PME earth from being used to supply a motor caravan or caravan, you have obviously got a skilled electrician to do your work

Alf
    Indeed... But do you think it is a bad idea to plug your van into your house 13A sockets via the widely available adaptors? My logic is that if you need a separate earth to ensure safety when using a 'proper' charging socket then it's not safe to plug into your house sockets via the adaptor.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus
    Indeed... But do you think it is a bad idea to plug your van into your house 13A sockets via the widely available adaptors? My logic is that if you need a separate earth to ensure safety when using a 'proper' charging socket then it's not safe to plug into your house sockets via the adaptor.
    Correct,but im doing it and so are squillions of other folk,but im now on the road to amend this after some help from alf,he knows his stuff.
    Campsites in uk should work this way and some boat marinas have a double isolated power transformers,im not sure about other countries in europe,makes you wonder.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes time4t, Tbear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Simple answer Mark Yes, I don't and I wont plug it in to any I have not tested First. And my outside 16A socket is connected to a Earth Spike.
    What everyone else does is up to them.

Its not a Question of a Charging Socket Any Motorhome or Caravan should only be connected to a supply fed by a Earth Spike and not the earth from the Public Network.

Alf

Likes yeoblade, trevskoda, MarkJ, channa, Robmac, time4t, Tbear liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Trev All Caravan Sites in the UK are using Earth Spikes its a Regulation of BS7671 and the Electricity Supply Regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by trevskoda View Post
    Correct,but im doing it and so are squillions of other folk,but im now on the road to amend this after some help from alf,he knows his stuff.
    Campsites in uk should work this way and some boat marinas have a double isolated power transformers,im not sure about other countries in europe,makes you wonder.
    Likes trevskoda, channa liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Fiat Adria
    somehow that is really well documented in my house instructions....naaaaaaaat. So now every time I go and stay with my friends and 'plug in' I will carry a spike as well and dig in a separate earth. Really some of these rules are pants, as if we are suppose to know anyway.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mark to answer your supplementary Question

Quote PS - supplementary question: could this earthing issue be why my garage circuit used to trip when I unplugged the van sometimes?

Without looking and testing who knows

but the RCD in simple terms is a current balance device if the balance of current in on the live cable is out of balance with the return out on the neutral cable by 30Ma or near enough it will trip if you have a leakage on your garage wiring coupled with a small leakage in your van installation ( there is leakage every where ) the sudden unplugging could just cause an imbalance that would trip the RCD at least you know it worked !!!

Alf

Member Number
    Motorhome
    I have seen too many death by electrocutions both unexpected and suicides to agree with you.

Alf

Quote Originally Posted by MidAgeTraveller View Post
    somehow that is really well documented in my house instructions....naaaaaaaat. So now every time I go and stay with my friends and 'plug in' I will carry a spike as well and dig in a separate earth. Really some of these rules are pants, as if we are suppose to know anyway.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Swift Sundance 630G (X250)
    All interesting stuff, so what are the dangers of doing what zillions of us already do??
    Swift 630G
    in the boot

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information