CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Honda eu10i generator questions

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

More Honda eu10i generator questions

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    May I ask a few questions of those who own one of these. Thinking of getting one before this years ‘leisurely’ winter trip to the far north of Scotland…an increasingly regular event now our son lives in Edinburgh. But we would like to be clear of a few things first.

Before you say the eu20i is better…and I would agree…we simply have nowhere to put one of that size in our small van…same applies to the more bulky lpg version.

1. Storage. We can’t carry it in an outside locker as we don’t have one big enough, so it will have to go in an under bench locker inside (it just fits)…so…do they smell particularly? Not keen to abide with the heady aromas of petrol!
    2. For the van we only need it to charge batteries. Although our electricity consumption is normally low, if the weather is very cold even though our tanks are insulated, they are external, so we may need to run tank heaters at least some of the time, and also have the Truma gas air heating fan to run, which overnight will all pull the batteries (of which we have two) down somewhat. So how many hours do you find it usually takes it take to restore a reasonable days charge?
    3. How much petrol per hour do you consume for battery charging (20A smart charger)? Limited space also means only one 5L container can be carried (in unused gas locker).
    4. Not quite motorhoming…but aside…do you know if one of these will power a domestic central heating pump during power cuts…( ie can it handle startup surges?) And if so what is the best way of connecting to domestic system…can you just turn off mains switch and other loads and feed back in via a socket in the garage?
    5. How long does petrol stay fresh in storage?

It would be nice to think we could get away without a generator…but I suspect if weather conditions in Jan-Feb unexpectedly mean a few days hunkering down somewhere off grid around the north or west coast the batteries would soon run down and we may get distinctly chilly. There doesn’t exactly appear to be a host of places with hook up still open to retreat to at that time of year!

grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Hi there, we have just gone through similar thoughts, and having previously owned the EU20i which is a better machine. BY that, I mean the cylinder bores are much longer lasting, because they are steel and the EU10i has alloy.
    But for private use, it should be OK!
    I did test the larger EU20i running the house and it would do the main things, I have not tested the smaller EU10i.
    I got ours just to charge the M/H battery and it will do that and is much lighter to haul around. Weight is an issue with the larger one as we carry a scooter. We just can't have everything, can we, if we could I may have gone for the larger one, although it does get a little mauling.
    Regarding smells from under a locker. We have stored both sizes under our French corner bed and petrol smell has not been an issue!
    I would seriously recommend not buying a used one as the cylinder bores could be a problem depending on how much use it has had.
    The larger EU20i is much better value at from Seddons £1074 against what we paid £740 for the smaller EU10i
    Suitcase Generators, Portable Generators, or Silent Generators. Whatever you call them, we have them
    I did lots of research about the smaller version and cylinder bore is mentioned on heavily used models and the larger model is pretty bullet proof!
    I have not used our EU10i yet in anger so I will know better in a few weeks.
    Regarding fuel use, for me it uses what it uses!
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows & Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine
    Thanks barge1914 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Incidentally, if you do use it to power the house during a power cut. Make sure the mains box is tripped off otherwise you could send electricity down the line.
    Also when the power comes back on, it would damage your Honda.
    Alternatively have a switch fitted!

edit.
    Just remembered you asked about fuel going off if left in the tank.
    With our previous larger geny, we started it every few weeks and never drained it or had a problem.
    However, I have added some stabiliser to the fuel in our new geny!

Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit Additive/Stabiliser. 992381: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    Last edited by grath; 12-11-2017 at 17:08.
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Likes Robmac liked this post
    Thanks barge1914 thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bessacarr E412

Honda generators

Hi
    Further question, for charging batteries is it best to use the 240v output with the vans charger, or the genes 12v output? If the latter how should it be connected?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Through your 240v ehu the vans charger will have a larger output than the DC side of the genny.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Agree, just as a normal hook up!
    Graham+Kath = grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Renault Master PVC
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    Just remembered you asked about fuel going off if left in the tank.
    With our previous larger geny, we started it every few weeks and never drained it or had a problem.
    However, I have added some stabiliser to the fuel in our new geny!

Briggs & Stratton Fuel Fit Additive/Stabiliser. 992381: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
    Thanks for that Graham.

Just ordered some.
    God bless Colonel Sanders. Marvellous man!
    Likes grath liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Getting back to the opening post.
    Not as I am an electrician, but if I were going to use the geny for any household stuff, I would go for the larger Honda eu20i
    I did a quick test when we had ours and it would run necessary equipment. I doubt that the smaller eu10i would.
    Even with the larger one, you would need to seriously limit what you turned on. Thinking of as well as the heating pump the freezer, tv and lights!
    You need to calculate the wattage of equipment you wish to use!
    Graham+Kath = grath

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    Getting back to the opening post.
    Not as I am an electrician, but if I were going to use the geny for any household stuff, I would go for the larger Honda eu20i
    I did a quick test when we had ours and it would run necessary equipment. I doubt that the smaller eu10i would.
    Even with the larger one, you would need to seriously limit what you turned on. Thinking of as well as the heating pump the freezer, tv and lights!
    You need to calculate the wattage of equipment you wish to use!

" Before you say the eu20i is better…and I would agree…we simply have nowhere to put one of that size in our small van…same applies to the more bulky lpg version."

If you are going back to the original post why go on about the 20i the OP has no room for one.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazerloz View Post
    " Before you say the eu20i is better…and I would agree…we simply have nowhere to put one of that size in our small van…same applies to the more bulky lpg version."

If you are going back to the original post why go on about the 20i the OP has no room for one.
    One reason only. Because he wanted to power his house!!
    Graham+Kath = grath

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information