CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could I,Should I,Another Generator Question

Member Number
    Motorhome
    iveco iris lib bus

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Quote Originally Posted by helen262 View Post
    It might overheat as it will be air cooled and being enclosed in a small area it won’t have enough air flow
    100% correct,these are ment to be standing outside or in a shed well vented with open doors etc,NEVER inclosed in a box full of insulation,FIRE springs to mind if it dont seize first.
    Only dirty people wash
    Likes time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Mercedes 207D
    Thanks all for the replies,ventilation was certainly something I had considered,but I do have the option of mounting it under the chassis,plenty of room but not something I can tackle this year.
    I completely understand people's concerns for noise and would only use it if I had no neighbours,been to Canterbury park and ride a few times lately and a bit surprised to see gennies up and running the last two weekends,bloody annoying!
    668,the neighbour of the beast.
    Likes trevskoda, helen262 liked this post

r4dent is offline Mostly Harmless
    Name: Pete
    Spouse: Liza

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Bailey Approach
    Earlier this year I parked (not camped ... parked) for a couple of hours at Stratford Leisure Centre. As many of you know this has a large MoHo parking area and there were only about four vans there, so plenty of room. We had just put the kettle on when a German van parked next to us (less than a foot away) started the built in generator and the owners went walkabout.

We abandoned the brew because of the noise and fumes and went in town to find a cafe. We returned two 2 hours later, the German van was still there, the generator was still running, the owners were still walking round town.

Generators have their place (mine is now somewhere in the garage at home), please think before using them where there are other vans.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
    Likes blights liked this post

grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    Quote Originally Posted by r4dent View Post
    Earlier this year I parked (not camped ... parked) for a couple of hours at Stratford Leisure Centre. As many of you know this has a large MoHo parking area and there were only about four vans there, so plenty of room. We had just put the kettle on when a German van parked next to us (less than a foot away) started the built in generator and the owners went walkabout.

We abandoned the brew because of the noise and fumes and went in town to find a cafe. We returned two 2 hours later, the German van was still there, the generator was still running, the owners were still walking round town.

Generators have their place (mine is now somewhere in the garage at home), please think before using them where there are other vans.

That is exactly what happened to us as I posted in post 3 in this thread. And they were also German!
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows & Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent £15
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    Thanks all for the replies,ventilation was certainly something I had considered,but I do have the option of mounting it under the chassis,plenty of room but not something I can tackle this year.
    I completely understand people's concerns for noise and would only use it if I had no neighbours,been to Canterbury park and ride a few times lately and a bit surprised to see gennies up and running the last two weekends,bloody annoying!
    We have always laughed when we have stayed at the motorhome shows , many vans arrive and within minutes are erecting awnings (The devils work) and then a few minutes later out comes the generator ?
    I guess if you really think about most new motorhomes they are really built for site use with all their electrical appliances, the average owners really only know how to cope with ehu .
    We can be there for 5 days and don't have a need to use power but that has probably come about from years of experience.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autosleeper suffolk/ Mercedes sprinter b
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Charlie View Post
    We have always laughed when we have stayed at the motorhome shows , many vans arrive and within minutes are erecting awnings (The devils work) and then a few minutes later out comes the generator ?
    I guess if you really think about most new motorhomes they are really built for site use with all their electrical appliances, the average owners really only know how to cope with ehu .
    We can be there for 5 days and don't have a need to use power but that has probably come about from years of experience.
    Last year we went to the Lincoln motorhome show and at Bang on 8am there must have been about 10 genies start up within close proximity, I think they should have a field set aside especially for these people, preferably in the next county, and one parked up next to us also a German had his running from 8am to 10 pm
    Likes blights liked this post

grath is offline Full Member
    Name: Graham
    Spouse: Kathleen

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Hymer B654 SL Star Edition 3 Ltr, 4500kg
    We mostly run our van on gas and 12 volt only and on the rare occasion that we are on hook up, we often forget and still use a gas kettle!
    Genies do have a use (I have one) and can be great for winter use. It is the owners who are at fault.
    I often read about using a geny to run a TV at night. Are these people real, have they not heard of 12 volt?
    Graham+Kath = grath
    Tramping the Dream, Chasing Rainbows & Enjoying the Pot of Sunshine

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Halfords dome tent £15
    Quote Originally Posted by grath View Post
    We mostly run our van on gas and 12 volt only and on the rare occasion that we are on hook up, we often forget and still use a gas kettle!
    Genies do have a use (I have one) and can be great for winter use. It is the owners who are at fault.
    I often read about using a geny to run a TV at night. Are these people real, have they not heard of 12 volt?
    You are geared up for it though as we were , the rv came with 2 x 240volt TVs only one of which was wired up to use the inverter, we fitted a 12 volt but the large 32 inch was 240 volt so we only used it in winter when the generator was charging the batteries.
    It was the blown air heating that is a killer in an rv they use a lot of gas and eat batteries!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    vauxhall movano
    Me normally against gennys but couldn't resist buying an E300 honda genny still originally boxed used once so as new not a single blemish on it even the box has survived for the over half a century since made and bought in the 60's paid £190 for it
    Will get me out of problems should all else fail

Member Number
    Motorhome
    09 Fiat Ducato 2.3 Swift Mondial RL
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismilo View Post
    Me normally against gennys but couldn't resist buying an E300 honda genny still originally boxed used once so as new not a single blemish on it even the box has survived for the over half a century since made and bought in the 60's paid £190 for it
    Will get me out of problems should all else fail
    You should give yourself a shake after some of the things you have post about gennys in the past. All you have ever done is slag them off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information