CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: Solar panel advice

  1. #1

    Member Number
    29434
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,125
    Motorhome
    nu venture rio

    Solar panel advice



    CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    My nuevo has the factory fitted 30 w solar panel fitted with 4 small brackets with one small screw in the roof for each bracket, how would you seal or repair the holes after removing the brackets screws .I intend to fit a 120 solar panel but undecided whether to fit a semi flexible or rigid any advice please .

  2. #2

    Member Number
    55239
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,596
    Location
    Kingdom of fife
    Motorhome
    Citroen C15 Motorhome
    Hello Bazz,
    Without seeing the job my first option would be to replace the screws, after removing the brackets, using fibre washers.

    Rae & Ann
    Oh the posh posh travelling life, the travelling life for me.
    Likes molly 2 liked this post

  3. #3

    Member Number
    71915
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    48
    Motorhome
    comes in march/april
    put the screw back in t en use Sikaflex

  4. #4

    Member Number
    31808
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    572
    Location
    Tyne and Wear
    Motorhome
    citroen relay
    Quote Originally Posted by molly 2 View Post
    My nuevo has the factory fitted 30 w solar panel fitted with 4 small brackets with one small screw in the roof for each bracket, how would you seal or repair the holes after removing the brackets screws .I intend to fit a 120 solar panel but undecided whether to fit a semi flexible or rigid any advice please .
    Bazz just fit the screw back in same hole with a bit sikaflex job done mate
    Likes molly 2 liked this post

  5. #5

    Member Number
    37959
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,000
    Location
    Teesside.
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.
    Quote Originally Posted by exwindsurfer View Post
    Bazz just fit the screw back in same hole with a bit sikaflex job done mate
    Agreed, thatís what I did when I fitted different brackets to my solar panel.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.
    Likes Alf, molly 2 liked this post

  6. #6

    Member Number
    50391
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,927
    Motorhome
    see picture
    To respond to the other half of your question: the choice between rigid and semi-flexible.
    If you won't want to walk on the roof, you may be better with a rigid panel. Of course the underneath will fill up with muck and leaf litter, because you should leave an air gap to allow cooling.

    With semi-flexible, the idea is that the roof carries away some of the excess heat (anyway, there is no space to trap it).
    And of course if it is on an even surface you can walk on it (handy for cleaning).
    However there have been quite a few reports of semi-flexible panels failing after just a few years. I wonder if they were flexed too much before installation, or if there's not enough allowance for thermal expansion.
    I have a fully flexible panel, which is nearly nine years old and seems good as new, but you can't get them any more.
    I'd check about longevity before choosing a semi-flexible.
    Last edited by hairydog; 07-12-2017 at 11:46.
    Likes Alf, time4t, molly 2 liked this post

  7. #7

    Member Number
    22267
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by molly 2 View Post
    My nuevo has the factory fitted 30 w solar panel fitted with 4 small brackets with one small screw in the roof for each bracket, how would you seal or repair the holes after removing the brackets screws .I intend to fit a 120 solar panel but undecided whether to fit a semi flexible or rigid any advice please .
    As long as the screws are not going rusty, replace them in the holes with sealer applied first and then sealer smeared over the screw heads.

    A rigid solar panel is a much safer bet.

    Likes molly 2 liked this post

  8. #8

    Member Number
    37959
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,000
    Location
    Teesside.
    Motorhome
    Devon Conversions Tempest.
    Quote Originally Posted by harrow View Post
    As long as the screws are not going rusty, replace them in the holes with sealer applied first and then sealer smeared over the screw heads.

    A rigid solar panel is a much safer bet.

    Use stainless steel screws then you wonít have any problems with rust in the future.
    The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - its all that matters.
    Likes Alf liked this post

  9. #9

    Member Number
    5816
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,601
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Motorhome
    VW T5 Auto-Sleepers Trooper
    Use some large plastic snap covers put some silicone on roof and seat the caps over the hole a bit of silicone on the screw fit screw and snap on cover

    Alf
    Likes molly 2 liked this post

  10. #10

    Member Number
    29434
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,125
    Motorhome
    nu venture rio
    Quote Originally Posted by hairydog View Post
    To respond to the other half of your question: the choice between rigid and semi-flexible.
    If you won't want to walk on the roof, you may be better with a rigid panel. Of course the underneath will fill up with muck and leaf litter, because you should leave an air gap to allow cooling.

    With semi-flexible, the idea is that the roof carries away some of the excess heat (anyway, there is no space to trap it).
    And of course if it is on an even surface you can walk on it (handy for cleaning).
    However there have been quite a few reports of semi-flexible panels failing after just a few years. I wonder if they were flexed too much before installation, or if there's not enough allowance for thermal expansion.
    I have a fully flexible panel, which is nearly nine years old and seems good as new, but you can't get them any more.
    I'd check about longevity before choosing a semi-flexible.
    I have also heard of semi flexible failing prematurely I was thinking that if I bought a quality panel and not a cheap eBay panel it would last much longer .? Any recommendations for a quality panel .Bazz
    Last edited by molly 2; 07-12-2017 at 13:21.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •