CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Thread: Drive away awnings

Member Number
    Motorhome
    LDV PILOT BRAEMAR MACHZONE

Drive away awnings

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Some impartial thoughts please. Thinking of buying a drive away awning for my summer outings. Found a two berth in my price range but 4cms too short. The other possibility is several centimetres too high but is a 4berth with a sewn in sleeping compartment.
    3 questions: Do people with drive always find them a good idea?
    Do they get used a lot?
    Am I totally badly even considering a 4 birth?

Polite replies gratefully considered. Thanks

Member Number
    Motorhome
    That was supposed to say barmy not badly!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    autotrail imala715
    I have a drive away awning, good only IMHO,for long term .It fits like a shirt on a wheelbarrow.
    Some are marketed as "A divorce in a bag"
    Last edited by rockape; 12-01-2018 at 06:50.
    Likes peter palance, saxonrosie liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autotrail Mohawk
    We have a blow up one which works well in Summer especially when we need an extra bedroom . Very flexible so I am sure would fit. Please see similar recent thread on blow up awnings .

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    We had one but hardly used it. What we use now is a Garden Gazebo 2.5 metres square. I can assemble it in a few minutes and take it down as quickly. It is much less weight and a fraction of the cost of a driveaway awning. Because it is freestanding, you don't have to do anything when you want to use the van.
    Likes jacquigem liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Rapido
    and you can get the side for them make the easy to fit use shower curtain ring

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Wiensberg 601 MQH
    Quote Originally Posted by maingate View Post
    We had one but hardly used it. What we use now is a Garden Gazebo 2.5 metres square. I can assemble it in a few minutes and take it down as quickly. It is much less weight and a fraction of the cost of a driveaway awning. Because it is freestanding, you don't have to do anything when you want to use the van.
    Interesting - is that one of the 'foldout' ones, that you don't need to actually assemble?

We've got 2 of the 'assembly required every time' variety and I was thinking of taking one along instead of a blow-up awning, but didn't think the faff was worth it.

I think the main benefit of a drive-away that 'threads' onto the van is that you can hop into and out of the van without getting wet if it's poor weather.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Burstner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockburner View Post
    Interesting - is that one of the 'foldout' ones, that you don't need to actually assemble?

We've got 2 of the 'assembly required every time' variety and I was thinking of taking one along instead of a blow-up awning, but didn't think the faff was worth it.

I think the main benefit of a drive-away that 'threads' onto the van is that you can hop into and out of the van without getting wet if it's poor weather.
    I set ours up just outside the Hab door so you don't get wet if it is raining. It also has the advantage of being used without the 4 sides (as a sunshade). The sides are fixed using velcro. The one in the attached link is similar to mine but is only 2 metres square, they come in various sizes.

2x2 Fully Waterproof Canopy Pop Up Gazebo With 4 Side Panels And carry Bag | eBay
    Likes trixie88, Rockburner liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome

Thanks everyone

Think I'm shelving the idea. I only really need it if I have others with me. My granddaughters loved the idea but their mothers face was a picture of oh no not happening. So saving my money and if they come the 3 man tent will come for storage. Light and at least I can put that up, ( I think!)

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar Campscout Revolution
    I ah e borrowed a Vango in the past and am now going to buy one as our new van is much smaller than the previous one.

Thread Information