CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dashboard Speedo vs Hdu, suggestions please?

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Autoquest 155

Dashboard Speedo vs Hdu, suggestions please?

CLICK HERE TO REMOVE THESE ADVERTS
    Visability on the Speedo on our boxer Autoquest is poor to say the least, particulary km. Is there a decent dashboard one that anyone can recommend, or a decent hud that can be visible in sunlight. Off to France and Spain in a few weeks and would prefer not to be straining to check that I am within the speed limits.

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Ford
    Same problem with my Ducato 120 multijet. The Mph is hard to see sometimes as the steering wheel obscures the display, Kph is next to impossible to read.
    I purchased an X5 HUD off ebay plugs into the obd2 port permanently. Wow brilliant. The display is bright, adjusts at night time with no glare and can be changed from mph to kph. Cost about 20ish
    Likes peter palance liked this post
    Thanks Dogeared thanked for this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Lunar Premier H622

Or a satnav

Quote Originally Posted by philgb View Post
    Same problem with my Ducato 120 multijet. The Mph is hard to see sometimes as the steering wheel obscures the display, Kph is next to impossible to read.
    I purchased an X5 HUD off ebay plugs into the obd2 port permanently. Wow brilliant. The display is bright, adjusts at night time with no glare and can be changed from mph to kph. Cost about 20ish
    That is very good..
    The other option is a cheapish satnav !

Or speed app on phone !
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    97 sprinter ex police riot van.
    I have the Nextbase 512gw, it has the facility to display your speed & is very accurate.

I find that I use it more than the dash one & I fixed it in the middle of the shelf, above the air vents so it's not directly in my view, but is easy to see when I want to.

I don't like HUD displays as I find them intrusive,

Phill
    Learning to dance, where one step forward & two steps back is progress!

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Sprinter
    Quote Originally Posted by time4t View Post
    I have the Nextbase 512gw, it has the facility to display your speed & is very accurate.

I find that I use it more than the dash one & I fixed it in the middle of the shelf, above the air vents so it's not directly in my view, but is easy to see when I want to.

I don't like HUD displays as I find them intrusive,

Phill
    My 512gw consistently shows a few MPH difference to my sat nav, it does very according to speed and can be anything from 1 to 4 MPH, the higher difference being at higher speeds. The 512 showing the lower speed. I don't know which is the most accurate. Also GPS don't need much of a gradient to be a few MPH out.
    Likes wildebus, time4t liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Dethleffs globetrotter lxi
    I like the look of this gps one nice clear readout and 60 from deamon tweeksE4093DE6-1A3A-4496-A032-37BC8A3DD7B2.jpg
    OOR WUSSY
    Likes molly 2, Dogeared, trevskoda, saxonborg liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Globecar 636SB
    I use the readout on my TT5100 satnav, but as I've been used to driving abroad for many years without dual speed dials I automatically know the kph speed in mph. Some satnavs take account of gradient, not sure if the TT does as to get 1mph difference on a 1/10 slope would need to be going about 200mph, and I've not managed to get the van that fast so far.
    Likes Weston liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    see picture
    The Speedo in the dash should tell you the actual speed you are travelling at, but to ensure it is within the legal limits, it normally adds about 3% to the actual speed.
    The HUD speed, if taken from the ODB port, will show how fast the vehicle thinks it is going without the % uplift.
    A satnav or GPS HUD shows something entirely different. It is the average speed in a straight line between the last two GPS fixes (usually once a second, I think).
    If you vehicle tyres are the same size, wear level and pressure as designed, and you are travelling at a constant speed in a straight line, the latter two should be the same.
    The GPS speed reading is vastly more accurate, because most of the GPS errors cancel out for speed measurements. But it isn't measuring quite the same thing.
    Likes trevskoda liked this post

Member Number
    Motorhome
    Laika EcoVip 712
    Used a HUD in the last two MH's and it worked really well. Use to project the speed on the screen so you could still see through it. The speedo on the Fiat Ducato is terrible. Don't know who designed it but he needs reassigning to toilet cleaning duties. I have fitted a Blaupunkt Sat Nav which is Android based so lots of different APPS available. Got one that sits on top of anything thats on the screen and shows MPH or KPH in large format. Blaupunkt also has facilities for second display so its connected to the 7" reversing cameras display so I have screen in the middle and one on the right just above the blower outlet.

I did find out that the blower outlet on the Ducato on the right hand side is very easy to remove. Its also a great place for a screen or sat nav and plenty of room underneath for wiring.
    The whole panel is a push fit so comes away very easily. You need to take off the panels below the steering wheel first.
    Likes Dogeared liked this post

Member Number
    I,ve a small gps hud which I work stuck on the steering colum and it shows speed onto speedo glass
    Likes Dogeared, trevskoda liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information